Total NOOB question - what are VST's?

Hi guys

I'm still very much a newcomer to the world of making electronic music, so please bear with me here. I've been messing around on fruity loops for the past year or so, but I never got to make anything too interesting because my computer was VERY old and slow, with a really bad soundcard, so anytime I went to use a FX or anything it would go distorted.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I got my new computer so am ready to start getting seriously into it, I've got the motivation and the inspiration and the ideas sorted out, what I need to do now is learn to use the software to its full capacities. Soon I will be getting Reason and Logic and Cubase and maybe a few others, as well as FLstudio.

So since my computer was so crappy I didn't have a chance to pay much attention to anything other than the basic elements of the program. I've noticed that people here and also parts of the program often refer to VST and VSTi.

What I want to know is; What are these? How do I get them? And anything else I need to get an understanding of VST and how to use it. Any links would also be appreciated.

Sorry for asking what is probably such a basic question, but I just feel confused about things like this at times having not knowing many electronic music makers in 'real life'. Thought you peoples could help me out maybe :)

Here you go mate :)

http://www.kvr-vst.com/

What is a VST Plug-in?

Steinberg created the VST plugin standard and introduced it with their Cubase VST audio sequencer product line. Quoting from the Steinberg VST SDK:

"In the widest possible sense a VST-Plug-in is an audio process. A VST Plug-in is not an application. It needs a host application that handles the audio streams and makes use of the process the VST plug-in supplies. Generally speaking, it can take a stream of audio data, apply a process to the audio and send the result back the host application. [...]: The host does not maintain any information about what the plug-in did with the last block of data it processed. From the host application's point of view, a VST Plug-In is a black box with an arbitrary number of inputs, outputs, and associated parameters. The Host needs no knowledge of the plug-in process to be able to use it."

VST means Virtual Studio Technology.

Native instruments make some of the best VSTi's I have used. Check out their homepage http://www.nativeinstruments.com/

VSTi means VST Instrument by the way. If you have any other questions then please let me know.

Thanks! I think I get it now. So a VST is the same as a plugin? Are there plugins that aren't VST's? From what I understand now the things in the FX section of fruity loops (reverb, delay, chorus, etc) are VST's, is that correct?

I was playing around before making some stuff on FLstudio...just when I made something that I liked the sound of, I went to save it and it said that I was using demo versions of this one plugin (Fruity DX10) and that when I saved that part wouldn't be in it...damnit thats the part that I like!!!

So now what I want to know is, where can I score some free VST plugins off the internet? I've heard that you can buy them but that there are ones just as good out there for free. Anyone point me in the right direction?

• 1 month later...

Thanks! I think I get it now. So a VST is the same as a plugin? Are there plugins that aren't VST's? From what I understand now the things in the FX section of fruity loops (reverb, delay, chorus, etc) are VST's, is that correct?

I was playing around before making some stuff on FLstudio...just when I made something that I liked the sound of, I went to save it and it said that I was using demo versions of this one plugin (Fruity DX10) and that when I saved that part wouldn't be in it...damnit thats the part that I like!!!

So now what I want to know is, where can I score some free VST plugins off the internet? I've heard that you can buy them but that there are ones just as good out there for free. Anyone point me in the right direction?

201610[/snapback]

hello there

here is a good free vst page:

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~thman/VST/vst-alleff.htm

all of them are made with synthedit.

you can search google for "free" "vst" "download", you will find plenty of them there. However the good vsts are bought really, try out the demos for the best ones. the ones i really recommend are:

linplug albino 2

discoDSP discovery (software version of the clavia Nordlead 2)

image-line sytrus

rgc-audio z3ta+

i hope it helps

:)