Sven Vath - The Harlequin - The Robot and the...

Lemmiwinks

Posted Image

1 Intro (5:04)

2 Harlequin Play Bells (9:12)

3 Harlequin - The Beauty And The Beast (9:57)

4 Harlequin's Meditation (12:44)

5 The Birth Of Robby (10:04)

6 Robot (7:43)

7 Ballet-Romance (0:50)

8 Ballet-Fusion (9:11)

9 Ballet-Dancer (8:03)

Not psytrance but some very interesting trance and ambient which seems to tell a story (and isn't this what we loved about goatance in the first place? music that tells you stories?).

The Intro is some beatless ambient with nice nature sounds and someone reciting a poem in German (if anyone knows the translation, let me know), then some nice medieval-like flutes and we're into track no. 2 Harlequin Plays Bells which slowly makes the transition between 0 BPMs and the higher BPM rate of the following track.

And then we get into the serious stuff... The Beauty and the Beast is one you probably already know (I remember it was on MTV's Party Zone quite a lot back then with a nice computer-animated graphics video... if anyone has the video please let me know!!). It's very spooky and mystical, it's like the synthlines are speaking to you: "this is it, the intergalactic spaceship has taken off, there's no truning back now.". And indeed, the track just takes you deeper and deeper, building every more wierd soundscapes. The trip lasts for 10 whole minutes but it actually seems too short!! This is one of my top tracks EVER!!! Even after 10 years this hasn't aged one bit!! Then we're back to some soothing beatless ambient with Harlequin's Meditation . As the name suggests, this is music you could listen to while meditating (although it doesn't sound like New Age crap, it's very nice and deep).

The Birth of Robby slowly turns again from 0 BPMs to slightly higher tempo. It's some nice atmospheric chill-out reminding me of some Kraftwerk , hence the "robotic" feeling. Then some nice airy synthlines but it gets a little cheezy IMO.

Robot sounds more like some convetional techno with that same "robotic" atmosphere although this time it's more darker and repetitive.

Ballet Romance is an interlude to the full trance track Ballet Fusion which slowly builds up to some very nice melodies although they seem more on the eurotrance side than the psytrance side. Still, it's a nice track, I like it :)

Ballet Dancer is again some bealess ambient which closes this album.

Conclusion VERY nice album that seems to tell you a story and takes you far far away. I miss the times when a good album didn't only mean having 8-9 killer tracks on a CD but also having a coherent result, having the tracks blend in one another to create a certain atmosphere and "story". Harlequin the Beauty and the Beast still is the best track here and one of my best track ever!! If you haven't heard it, you're missing something big!! 9/10

This is perfect ambient album, maybe one of the best from that period. I find it extraordinary to blend different layers and styles and give totally new dimension of music listening, Sven Vath is putting us on. This solid, liquid journey will definitely take you on a trip. I like all the songs on the album, they all make perfect sense...10/10