Bring my old mixes back to life.

I just found an old minidisc containing some old industrial songs that i made before i started making psytrance. I thought i had lost them forever when i lost the cd they where on but apparently i had made a backup to md so im very happy that i found them! :D

They are backing tracks that i was suposed to use when playing live so the don't have any lyrics. I have recorded them into my computer and now i want to record some lyrics and finish them up.

The problem is that the soundquality and mixin is not very good. The songs are muddy and the stereo image is not that great (most of the stuff mixed in the middle and there are lots of overlaping frequencies). The levels are ok, the rest of the mixing sucks.

What can i do to make the songs sound better? Does anyone on this forum have experience with this kind of stuff? Maby i should add some fresh sounds and make holes in the mix wheri i put those sounds, or should i split the songs up into different frequencies (eqing out high mid and low frequencies), make separate channels for each frequencie and apply different effects to different frequencies? I just dont know where to begin! Does anyone have tips on how to freshen up old songs? Maby some remix artist have done this kind of stuff before? Any help would be greatly apriciated! :)

i've had the same problem with 3 or 4 of the tracks i made when i first started messing around with software music...at the time i was frequently visiting parties and consuming way too many substances, and so my old tracks are actually a lot trippier and more complex than what i make now...problem is, i didnt know a thing about mixing, it was all about feeling..

basically the best thing to do is, as you already mentioned, divide the stereo track into frequency spectrums, so that you have maybe 4 of the same stereo track, each with filters applied with extremely steep rolloffs. that way u have some control of the bass, melodies, etc. the problem i had with my tracks is that the bass and kick were really really muddy. what i did is just lowered the level of the originaly low end frequency range, and added a new fresh bass and kick line..

i never actually finished the track i set out to fix because as u can guess, its a terribly long process...but some songs are just worth fixing up..

i probably havent told u anything u didnt already know, but anyways, i think this is the best (if not only) way to effectively "redo" the track.

anyways, much respect for attempting to take on such a task, and good luck!!

peace