3. Sharas jasi-k

4. Shapi Shapo

5. Coridoors

6. G.H.B.

7. Flying cargo

8. Monkey business

9. Ah oom ba ba

10. Impact

Things weren't looking too bright on this album from the start: 1. it's full-on... 2. It's released by Phonokol who's miles away from releasing the quality stuff they used to... 3. The ONLY Nissimyani tracks I liked were Fresco and Peyote. So I was very skeptical when first listening to this. But I must say that although this is full-on, it is much more innovative than I thought it would be! The progressions are very dynamic, it's not the usual "nothing happens untill minute 5 where there's a climax" thing.

AM 2 PM is a dancefloor stormer, it has a clown-likeatomshpere in it, I'm sure it would make you freak on the dancefloor.

Sharas Jasi-k applies the usual full-on formula but the climax is EXCELLENT!! one of the best climaxes I've heard all year!!

I also like the melody in Flying Cargo and Monkey Business has a nice oldschool feeling to it.

conclusion so just when you thought there couldn't be any innovation into full-on, now this. I must say I'm impressed :) Definatley the best full-on album I've heard this year (but considering the overall-mediocreness of the genre, that wasn't really hard to achieve...) Of course this is very dancefloor-oriented so i guess DJs will have a good time with it. 8/10

Lemmiwinks (aka moondancer on older psynews reviews)

conclusion so just when you thought there couldn't be any innovation into full-on, now this. I must say I'm impressed :) Definatley the best full-on album I've heard this year (but considering the overall-mediocreness of the genre, that wasn't really hard to achieve...) Of course this is very dancefloor-oriented so i guess DJs will have a good time with it. 8/10

Lemmiwinks (aka moondancer on older psynews reviews)

196556[/snapback]

Agree on this one not that bad and not the typical full-on stuff.

but there is one track which brought me totally out of concept: "Coridoors"

jesus what's that?? i mean the melodies are so incredible cheap what happened when they did that track. This one is really confusing. Does this work on drugs nobody knows yet? Give it a try and tell me your opinion, maybe it's only me who has very strange feelings on that :blink:

fohat

jesus what's that?? i mean the melodies are so incredible cheap what happened when they did that track. This one is really confusing. Does this work on drugs nobody knows yet? Give it a try and tell me your opinion, maybe it's only me who has very strange feelings on that

well personally I didn't find it much worse than the other tracks. And then around min. 5:00 you have an oldschool-like synth line which is pretty good IMO. The overall feeling of the album is happy and even childish-like happy, but it's not bad IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Nissimyani – Why To Be Normal?

1. Baston Basket – Starts off nicely, a great way to open an album. Kicks into second gear and introduces these nice sounds. A nice little introduction of what’s to come. The bass line overpowers the kicks, and this has a nice tempo to. Easy to dance to. Then the voice samples come in and it’s almost like you are at a trance party. Then it hits you that this would play perfectly live. The track doesn’t soar to any new heights but is a nice opener.

2. Am 2 Pm – Love the opening sample. This tracks really kicks things off. The bass quietly takes over until you are fully listening to it. Without realising you are in its power. After some semi-annoying samples, we are treated to some pure modern psy. This track could fit in perfectly with other trance styles but still you’d know you are listening to psy. The crazy sounds these guys make are impressive but one feels they don’t use them properly. When we get to the 6-minute mark we are treated nicely and then this track becomes the first favourite!

3. Sharas jasi – Slow, quiet build up. Nice melody comes in, and then the muffled bass sound with the kick, and the track fully owns you. There are some distracting voice samples which could have been used better but the melody eventually out powers them. And we are fully dancing again. This track has heaps going on in it. And it just keeps getting crazier. Not full on crazy, just dance-worthy crazy. It is a nice track.

4. Shapi Shapo – Now to this track. I don’t know whether this track is done tongue in cheek but the opening melody is so hammy and amateur that I wonder if they are doing it on purpose. It’s catchy but it sounds very strange on this album. It sounds like those “psy” rejects that you get on free mp3 unsigned artists sites. It just does measure up. Anyway, the rest of the track grabs your attention for the kick and nice bass line. And then they include the generic melody and then some out of place voice sample that sounds like a cat and dog fighting on speed. This is such an interesting track that it is worth listening to just to understand what I’m talking about.

5. Coridoors – Echoed voice sample with some strings behind it. Nice opening although takes too long getting into the actual psy. When it does, it is very bassy. I’m loving this point because the bass is at the right pitch, and not real effects are distorting it. Some interesting sounds here, a real pleasant ear opener. I do enjoy this track if only for the constant new changes it has to offer.

6. G.H.B – This is one of the highlights on the album. Up to this point it may not sound like this is a great album, it is easy to listen to and is very enjoyable but there hasn’t been anything that captures your attention. Until here this track is so wild while being at easy to listen to. This track really takes a detour to psy land. Love it!

7. Flying Cargo – Almost takes 1 minute to get into it but it’s worth it. The driving bass and wicked strange sounds make for a kickass track. This is where their crazy sounds are put to awesome use. This is a faster track and not really made for dancing yet you can listen to it and get lost in its sweeping background noise. It finishes the same way it started; with a sample. Listen to it. Very nice.

8. Monkey Business – This is no monkey business, this is awesome psy. I love the way this track draws you in unsuspectedly. This is another favourite due to the awesome sounds the guys have come up with. It is so unique while staying true to the style. And the bass feels like it disappears and reappears all in the space of 1 second. The voice samples are not used to the best effect but they do work in some kind of weird way. I’m getting used to their use of samples.

9. Ah oom ba ba – Love this track. My favourite. I didn’t want it to end. The opening says it all…what will happen? The rising sound, the steam train about to pass, what will happen? Then it starts. And the awesome bashing of a tin can complete with the sucking up through a black hole. You’re in a world of your own now. Just wait to see how you get home. You have to go through these awesome riffs. This driving kick. This wicked bass. Then the best use of voice samples for the whole album. It’s so interesting because it has meaning to the track. And the bass and kick don’t stop for it to finish, they play over the top as if to say “fuck you”. Very nice track.

10. Impact – Just as everything was getting completely awesome we have to come to the end. And this track doesn’t disappoint. It basically sums up the whole album, even complete with it’s own cheesy melody. It has its fair share of voice samples. And the most awesome sound voice effect...at the 5-minute mark. Get ready for some innovation. This is what they should have done at the first track. But it’s so nice to see where the boys will be by their next album.

Overall, not up to the standard of Misted Muppet but few are. It is a great party album though. You can pop it on and it’ll please the dancers, trancers and glancers. : )

Favourites: 9, 8, 10, 6, 7, 2

Overall rating: 8/10

• 1 year later...

Tracklist

1. Baston basket

2. Am 2 pm

3. Sharas jasi-k

4. Shapi Shapo

5. Coridoors

6. G.H.B.

7. Flying cargo

8. Monkey business

9. Ah oom ba ba

10. Impact

Nissimyani are Yan Azulay and Nissim Mohadeb, permanent crew members of the Phonokol spaceship and one of the finest and most authentic trance acts emerging from Israel

#1 So the album kikstarts with baston basket .. a phat groove interspersed with impressive syth work is what meets us first .. it chuggs along at nice space.. the bassline dripps of honey .. 'bad trips'.. . i'd like to see a dj play this sometime late in the morning . An unrelenting track first up !

#2 'Hey, we don't care where you grew up, this is not the drug bulletin board, this is the trip report... stick to your reports please .. and what a trip it is from the moment on .. the bassline is sythnthetically fine tuned to a perfect twist .. a chimy bell adds to the sonic chaos .. lots of twists and turns and i finaaly feel the track has reacked it peak .. all together beautifully packed in .. i could listen to this am to pm anyday!

#3 Shars jasi-k is the third track .. a infected mushroomish kinda bassline catches my ear .. spacy synth lines hover around the 2:13 mark .. a nice intermingling of the two is what it progresses into keeping full on in perfect harmony .. 'flying saucer '... a hoover effect and we are thrown into this whirlwind of blissfullllll .. the last few mintes sounds a lot like altom .. an outstanding track overall @

#4 Shapi shapooooo .. lovely intro nissimyani really impresses me with his synthwork ..can make out a true blue magician behind the hardware .. any lets get to the point .. a dark sombre kinda atmosphere is what sets in amidst some classy synth work .. ' the voice in the sample says something like ' u gave me some motherfucking a ' heheh .. the production is oustanding and the flow of this track just befitts the ear .. a stomper from start to finnish shapi shapo is clearly and definately a

favourite here

#5 Half down already and im thinking there has to someting extraordinary in here .. corridors greets us with a happy swinging bassline .. hyper patches of synths comes together brilliantly in burts .. then sorta retracts .. ebb and flow .. if only he's given some added punch at the end .. neverthe less nice track .

#6 Ok talking of phat grooves and hyper sythnwork ghb takes the cake .. there's this very granduer feel to the track .. royal roots .. the sythns are speaking shrieks again between a soothing bassline .. go liquid ecstacy !!

#7 Aahhh why am i reminded of dark soho .. flying cargo has already set into pace a bundle of sweetness .. quirky goa gil swishy swishes sitting on top of a very dark minimal bassline .. kinda old schoolish but at the same time you feel the enrgy come through .. there's a sample about some channel three .. the moment it gets over the track feels like a astral projection vs silicon sound .. a very versatile track from nissimyani

#8 Since the album was released against a backdrop of soaring infected mushroom fanfare there are bound to be comparisons and laments of copying their style but ... no nissimyani takes it two notches higher ... giving us the most melodic of basslines .. monkey business .. yes for sure for us freeks .. twisted and yummy ..

#9 '...I like to be clean when i trip .. and when i got to the shower .. the water started echoing really bad .. and then it turned into white noise .. and when i pulled the shower curtain down .. the white noise started feeding back in to itself ..it turned into a washing wave kinda thing ' .. im wondering where the sample is from ?? the track is ok .. farty sounds here and there with not so elaborate synths .. the sample carries the weight of the track on its shoulders .

#10 ' You two may be puzzzledd .. we are looking fer your trip reports tonight ..' and yay a sharp percussive cling .. a snap crackle approach to tingle those nerves .. nissimyani ends this album with an outstanding tribadelic anthem .. around 3:39 he uses a smple from an instrument set in the middle east could be a santoor or a banjo .. distrorted voices in the arabian sea .. a brilliant vocal sings to bid us adiue .. could be used to wrap up a morning set .

closing comment :L

Nissimyani has carved their own niche a distinctive stlye which can do wonders on any dancefloor // This is pushing moving driving moosic // may remind most of you of other israeli artists out there .. but what sets nissimayni apart is that they incorporate the very best from the scene and does so with taste and style .. too bad the've split up and have solo careers now

dig deep :)