Koh Phayam

ok. i will arrive in bankok ar 29/12...will i get to Koh Phayam in time???

anyone know how far it is between bankok and the party? and how easy is it to get there??

i also would like to know how much it costs to live down there - anyone been there last year?

and i would also like to know how the "party-life" is after the fullmoon party. ill be there for a month so...

i would appreciate any info!

/see you there!!

//Psy-fi

Koh Phayam? There is not much of a party-scene on Koh Phayam, off the coast near Ranong? I take it you mean Koh Pha-Ngan? It's dead easy to get to Pha-Ngan, it's an overnight trip on a train or on a bus... The cheapest option would run you for ~350 Thai Baht, and involves a bus-boat combination bought via an agent on Khao San Road. More comfy and a tad more expensive is to get yourself a sleeping-berth on a Suratthani bound train that leaves from Hualampong train-station, and then when you arrive early in the morning, take a taxi to pier and boat to Pha-Ngan. Of course, if you feel like splashing out a bit, you could fly to Samui and take a boat from there, OW-flight BKK - Samui can be had for a very reasonable price.

Money & costs: Are you willing to rough it? I'd say a budget of ~1000Baht is really comfortable enough if you're staying in one place. Mind you, could make do on LOT less, but you can also spen from your hearts content. My estimation would consist of following:

Accommodation - On Pha-Ngan, the rock-bottom bungalows start from ~80Baht. If you're willing to stay where the action (and the piss-drunk, loud-mouthed morons) is, i.e. Haad Rin, the scale goes from ~200Baht upwards. An Ok Bungalow with private shower&toilet can definitely be had for 250 Baht in Haad Rin. Nicer concrete-bungalows will set you back maybe 500Baht a night.

Food - Basic noodle-soup ~30Baht, other dishes more. Western food is abundant in Haad Rin and Chicken Corner makes good sandwiches for 50Baht.

Drinking - A bottle of Sang Som -"Whisky" costs 80Baht in grocery-stores... And will get you totally drunk. Big Chang -beer is around 70Baht a bottle.

Motorbike rental/taxi - Either one is essentiall for going to parties around the island. The motorbike rent depends on how many days you're paying for but should be less than 200 Baht/a day. Taxi will get you anywhere on the island for less than 100B (cost depends on the time of the day, distance etc. etc.)

I'll be arriving in Bangkok on 13th january and will fly to Vietnam for Chinese New Year (in the beginning of february), and then overland through Campodia back to Thailand and onwards to Malaysia and Indonesia. Who knows, maybe we can arrange a mini-gathering around mid-january.

Drop me mail if you're willing to ask something more or just generally talk smack about anything.

...damn, here I go, feeling like a complete twat now (happens to me a lot these days)... It appears that you DID mean Phayam after all (my apologies), just stumbled across the parties-section and saw what you mean... SO, forget ALL the things I said in the previous post! ;) However, I don't think that Phayam will "keep going" after that party, so for partyparty-times you definitely need to mobilize yourself.

Getting to Ranong: The railway doesn't go there, so taking bus is the only choice. Or, you could take a train down to Chumphon (where the boats leave to Koh Tao), and then a bus from Chumphon to Ranong. But I'm not really familiar with the subject so I'll just stop here, before more damage is done. ;)

(Oh, gotta add one more thing: The name of the Phayam party-organizers, "Same same but different", is what you'll hear if you ask a street-seller what's the difference between any two items (s)he is selling... Try it, they are always same same but different. This is especially true to India, but works well in Thailand too. ;)

thanks alot Järsimähäiriö for all that information.

i finally get a feeling about how much money i will spend down there.

and it seems to be much cheaper than i expected, so now i´ll go down and buy myself a synth for that money : )

hope you´ll have a nice journey!

Guest Barrington

omg.

using said scooters in the pouring rain on the "death hills" from Tong-Sala to Chaloklum, while fucked on Sang-Som brings back memories!

Still got the scars to prove it. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Yeah, that must the craziest few kilometres in Thailand, or thereabout at least... (especially in said consitions... even if you take away the Sang Som -aspect). However, when it's dry and the sun is shining, the very same road makes for a nice, leisurely drive, with some breathtaking views to boot.

BTW, are you saying that you DIDN'T wear a leather-jacket, jeans, boots and mittens when driving? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Koh Phayam and Koh Phangan is not same island.

Haad Rin or Tong-sala are on Koh Phangan, the favorite full moon party place.

I want to know about the 4 days new year party(same same but different party?) on Koh Phayam.

Has anyone been there before?

I heard about that fist time. This year the first opening?

http://www.trance-party.com/

plz, check it out, and reply me.