Mixing with traktor?

Guest chris

Hi guys,

in connection to the other topic about mixing vinyl vs. cd's I would like to ask you guys if anybody has already experience with Laptop-Dj'ing.

Some month ago I ripped all my CD's and started mixing with Traktor. I'd have to say it is big fun and allows a lot of creativity and flexibility. No CD-Setup is offering me more...

But other DJ's are laughing about, cause they think it's not hands on (which is definetly *not* true), sound must be bad (which is definetly *not* true as well -if you rip your CD's in original quality-) and bookings are very poor by promoters "Mixing with a Laptop ehhh, this is not Djing...."

But hey I don't care I do not mix for money and in two years it will be quite usual to have CJ's on partys. And I will be then the first one spinning around :)

So anybody out there who made similar experiences or just started over? What do other guys think about that?

chris

Guest [tom jaimz]

Hi Chris,

I've thought about this too, and I'm pretty confident it's the future of DJing. Things need to progress a little further, tho [and check out the screenshots of Traktor 2 on the Native Instruments web page!], but already now things are possible.

Stuff I personally think I'd need before I'd be happy would be a decent external soundcard with two stereo outputs - one RCA the other one a headphone jack [although you can always convert with cables], and a good external MIDI controller.. I think some company is either going to have to invent a Traktor-friendly controller, or I'm going to have to learn how to build one myself!

That, together with a few USB hard drives full of tunes [wave files only, of course. don't want to rock up all confident and then try to get away with playing mp3s on a big system!], and I reckon you'd rock. Eventually, of course, the promoter will provide a top of the line computer system with the latest wicked MIDI control and DJs will just rock up with their USB hard drives and go crazy. :-)

I like the look of Traktor but I have a Mac - does anyone know if there is similar software for the mac (preferably freeware) ?

bomble

Guest chris

Hey Tom,

yeah you're right. To make it prof you need a lot of expensive gear. Concerning a midi controller you can get fairly good and cheap ones frome Doepfer (http://www.doepfer.de). I use the pocket control (120 Euros) and it works perfect with traktor. So I've my hands on the sytem :). Beside this I would like to integrate Korg's Kaoss Pad into my gear, but this one is also quite expensive and I don't know exactly how the stuff (hard and soft) would work together.

"[and check out the screenshots of Traktor 2 on the Native Instruments web page!], "

Yes I saw the preview of Traktor 2. They showed it at the last music exibition in frankfurt. It will be an awesome piece of software, wow. They will release it in June (also the mac-version then).

If they will implement in the near future also an interface for vst-plugins, then man, you will have everything you need to really rock the crowd: decks, mixer, eq's effects as much as you want (depending on your vst-plugins) in one piece of software. the rest is then good music on your harddrive, a good djfeeling and a happy crowd ;-)

Íf anybody would like to listen to a mix I created with traktor just let me know...

chris

traktor is the future, but right now i would experiment with it and use cdj's as my main sound output..

guys seriously i think that the best way of spinning is to incorporate the three mediums of vinyl cds and traktor into a set... its expensive, but its also the future..... i would like to see more specialized comps for traktor before i go totally into it.. right now i like my cdj's ,,,,