Do we need an FAQ?

Peeps,

Just having a usual stroll thru the topics and noticing that one about CD covers, got me thinking that a lot of stuff here ends up repeating itself.

Nothing wrong with that, as new people come by all the time and the topics and questions are only old to those of us here every day.

So do we need an FAQ? To include stuff like, where to get cd covers, why not to bang on about mp3's here, why the hallucinogen live album never came out, etc...

I think it would increase the signal to noise ratio here (which admittedly is already a lot lower than most of the web IMO.)

Maybe it could even lead to an end of the minimal vs. full on debate as well... maybe that's dreaming.. .well what do we think?

~

Damion

Nice to see somebody else thinking about it. I've been posting about this repeatedly for months, nobody seemed to react so far... Maybe it'll be included in the new site version still in development.

J.

Who are bamboo forest?

Whats a 303?

What books should I read by Tim Leary, T McKenna?

What does Bom Shankar mean?

Am I really gay or just a naughty boy who likes to shag me dad?

maybe we all come up with a list of questions or something, then work on answering them...

duh that was a totally very obvious and stupid thing to say.

Guest bugbread

Ok, I'll start the ball rolling (uh...actually, since I'm heading off to Thailand for two weeks in a few days, there might be a big intermission, but as soon as I get back, I'll continue working on it). To prevent a big flame war on the forum about what should be in the FAQ, could you guys send me some questions to put in the list? I think, like most FAQs, it should have two parts: actual frequently asked questions (What is full-on, what is minimal, etc.) and then some basic advice/pointers (for example, why starting discussions about minimal vs. full-on is a bad idea).

So far I'm thinking:

Genre definitions (with plenty of caveats about why not to get sucked into/stuck on genres)

Who sounds like who

Whether certain rumoured tracks exist (I can work on any Posford related stuff, I'll need help with other bits)

Bom Shankar

Anyway, if you have any SERIOUS suggestions of stuff to put into the FAQ (no rants, please), mail them to me at bug@bugbread.com. Thanks.

I also have www.bugbread.com sitting around empty, so as I start to work on the FAQ I'll upload it there so you can see it in progress, make suggestions, etc.

Nice initiative Bugbread.... We've talked about making a FAQ since I started frequenting this page in early '00, so I think we should finally get of our asses and do something about it.... Acutally, I think that Anoebis might have written a FAQ already, but it never got posted... You should check with him [anoebis@goatrance.com] before starting to write...

What does Bom shankar means? (Seriously, that question have been posted here more than 20 times.... Time for a FAQ! *s* )

That's it!

DeathPosture

Maybe not in the FAQ section, but anyway : something you see on the Music Making forum every week : "what gears do I need to start making Psytrance ?"

OK, perhaps rather difficult to find a consensus on it, with reference equipment often changing, but I'm sure there's something to do in this direction.

J.

Guest bugbread

Additional note: for judgement calls (i.e. the official position on English versus non-English), I'll be asking mars and children, and, ideally, them only, because it's their site and they make the rules : )