Goa experience or just bullsh--

Just wondering... how many DJs respect Goa Gill's way of structuring a set to realize the "goa experience":

familiar tracks in the evening...

... which become darker and darker through the night...

... and then turn into beautifull melodic trance in the early morning...

... and then end with some mid tempo goa with tribal sounds.

Anyone think this is the way it should be done, or do you just step on the scene and play whatever you feel will get the crowd going? What about partygoers? Think this is any good?

I'm no DJ, but I like going to parties and personally, I don't usually stay untill the morning so I miss on all the full-on. Since I don't want to spend my night listening to some boring beats (usually DJs tend to consider dark goa means minimal goa), for me a full-on set in the night is just fine... and in Belgium 99% of parties are indoor, so what's the use in having "sunrise goa" since you're inside a basement and don't get to see the morning come anyway?

By the way, this is just my opinion so don't start flaming me because I said "boring beats"...

Guest rx7style

Since he structures all of his sets the same way, it's probably not for the "goa experience", but the "drug & goa experience". Personally, I don't like that order, but whatever. I do my own thing...

Guest Setsuko

personaly I don't care about any order... as long as you hear a bit of everything at a party :)

but, yes there's a but... I like full on melodies at 5am... and, yes there's an 'end' a bit calm down at the end of the party with some groovy minimal...

Oh, Minidisc, you've become Moo now...hehe. I think his way probably does provide the "Goa Experience" for those who're able to feel it but I think there're lots of other ways of achieving that. I get that kind of experience with good full on in the sun at a summer outdoor party (especially near the sea) too.

I personally play whatever I feel like playing. I know what tracks I have and I decide the order on the spot. But I usually have a favorite 1st track and last track that I'll use for some time. Gil's goal is to provide the 'Goa experience' and he does it well. (I know, I've felt it!)

In my opinion, the DJ has a responsibility to create a vibe at a party through the music and if he can contribute in some other way at a party to create an overall vibe, then it's even better. For instance, I dance a lot when I'm playing and I noticed how if the DJ's dances the vibe gets lifted and everyone starts dancing much harder to full-on psychedelic.

"A DJ who doesn't dance is like an author who doesn't read."

-found somewhere on the net

Guest Setsuko

agree with Roopak... it's sad to see a dj standing completely still in front of a crowd... which gives you the feeling that he's not intersted in the dancing-part of the music... ofcourse a dj has to concentrate on what he's doing but just some shaking with the head is also good... :)

they should spread the vibe... ofcourse it would be silly that the crowd stands almost still and the dj is dancing like a madman :)

Guest Elysium Project

I have once in a forest on a mountain experienced most of a crowd sitting down all night when I played....I was off course getting quite desperate and thought that I had my worst set ever..... I danced during it :-))..

In the morning people came up to me and all told me that it was a great set....I was totally shocked and did not understand anything until a good local friend of mine (I won't mention the country or his name) told me that most of the people in the party (a intimate party of 150-200 people) was on heroin.......bad carma..........but it explained why they did not dance.......

If you have heard Gil in Goa, then you will understand what he means... this guy kills you at night, starting it off nice then getting darker and darker through the night... at about 4 a.m. he is playing dark scary music,,, if you check the crowd out at a gil rave at around that time, most people are not really enjoying themselves that much ...... then the morning comes and he plays the best god damn melodies you can imagine..... morning music gil style is not yahel, it is full on morning style like deedrah, talamasca, bamboo forest etc..

he then further winds down with the total melodies like mfg, har - el, total eclipse etc...

i can tell you one thing, go to goa and hear a good gil set... only then will you understand what he is trying to do....

sitting in belgium and hearing this kind of music in a basement is a totally different atmosphere...... so i really doubt you can understand what he is trying to say when he explains his set... think cocunut trees, the surf and the sky as a context for his style... he is very unique, eg- the first melody will correspond with the first sign of dawn.....

i wouldn't say that this is the only way of playing a set, but it sure is a damn nice way to do so....

Guest spirit_dancer

i wish more people would play the way gill does...its too far to go to goa to hear his set...even though its probably the best around...imo..the man knows what hez doing...and certainly knows how to carry a party through...even if it means scaring the hell outta them in the middle of the night and making them feel all cuddly in the morning...he showz u both the extreams...and imo..thats what goa should be played...and many ppls wouldn't agree with me...but again..its just my opinion.

I think flow is the key to any set of any music. The brain doesn't enjoy getting tossed right into meyhem. The best sets (the best nights too) start out nice and easy, with an almost morning feel. Slower, tranceier, stuff that is nice for grooving. In the middle of the night things are in full swing. The sounds are intense (be the style dark or more full-on) and driving. Perhaps less melody and more psychedelic noises and stuff. The peak, I think, should be at about 2-4 am. This should be when the full-on madness occurs and you get to go totally ballistic. You can tell the sun will be up soon around 4 and its time to wind down a bit. Things get nice and melodic... Of course, this pattern doesn't have to be followed for an event to be enjoyable.

As far as goa gil: he has flow down pat, but he can't beat-match with DATs. I'm sure he can beatmatch, and I am in no way questioning his skills, but trainwrecks and weird mixes are hard to listen to sometimes..

Guest rx7style

He's not psytrance, but if you want crazy behind the tables, you should watch Mark E.G. He dances so hard during his sets it's insane. Then he breaks his own records over his head and throws them into the crowd sometimes, all while drinking 2 different kinds of beer at once. He does these weird sets where he runs some layers from vinyl, and does his own crazy @!#$ on this little box with lots of knobs... every time I see his set I don't even care if it's good music or not because he's loving what he's doing so much, the crowd could leave, and he'd still have a blast regardless. Now that's passion!

Guest [tom jaimz]

It's all about the energy flow. This is why morning music in the middle of the night destroys the entire night. When done right, to have good night music run into good transition music and then into good morning music, is the perfect energy journey. Why do you think artists make morning tracks and night tracks? Do you think they sit down as say, 'Well, let's make a really good fluffy, happy morning track for some dickhead DJ to play at two am'? Do you really think Dado was aiming for a three am stomper when he finally was happy with his Reload track? Think kenetic energy, think potential energy. Think creating zones and creating sentience for the dancefloor. Don't be so selfish as to seek to enjoy the moment - you're there, along with everyone else, to enjoy the party. If you want it to be full on all night, @!#$ off and go to a rave.

As for DJs dancing, I usually don't dance when I DJ because I'm too busy concetrating on making sure the next mix is as close to perfect as I could make it. Most DJs I've seen who danced around like clowns during their sets usually had really poor mixes. But if they're happy, then good.

Guest Elysium Project

Or maybe some dj's just know how to get their beatmix in sync fast....... I don't ....:-) It take a while before it's right but a good friend of mine Jean Borelli always have the next record ready very fast......even though he don't dance that much :-))

I agree that there must be some kind of journey in a party... personally I am sick of those dj's that just go on and on playing full on music after 6 in the morning....To me a good party start with the dj's being able to communicate with the dancefloor...second I like less than many dj's so the dj's have a chance to get into their sets instead of playing for 1-2 hours - 6 dj's in a row....that sucks.....

Third I believe that a nice party is when people can see eachother (If the party goes on in the morning.....too few does) and the music slow down to beautiful morning music combined with tribal beats and ethnic influences......thats my opinion...

Guest drops of madness

goa gil is a very good dj and has played amazing sets through out the years....but just that these past one or two years havnt been close to what he used to play...

but he has it in as everyone knows to take ure minds....

Who's not psytrance, RX?? Gil? Of course he is. What makes you think he isn't?

that's just the point-> there's not difference between psy & goa. It's just different people giving the same thing different names. The term psytrance didn't exist before. It's the same thing as rap & hiphop. Anyway, that's another topic...

Just to clarify, a dancing DJ at the cost of good mixing is a nono and I don't necessarily mean do the caveman on stage. There're just some DJ's who're up there totally statue-like and I'm thinking, "WTF, man...don't you enjoy your own music?"

I guess i agree with most people that a set should be a journey from darkness into light, but this seems to be a very rare thing, especially these days when most djs are playing alot ( to much ? ) progressive/minimal stuff. I'm not saying that i don't like it cos there is a lot of good progressive and minimal music out there. it has it's place in a psy party but not for 12 hours, that would drive me mad ( to the same level that 12 hours of melodic stuff would ). The mixture of different kinds of music makes the journey.

As someone pointed out good communication is important. I'm really bored with coked-up djs ( and other people as well ) that never smiles to anyone, who stands besides their decks like statues, looking..."coool".

So, throw these poor fuckers out of the party, bring in more dancing, mad, twisted colorful Djs / artists that knows how to get a party going.

i tried the goa experience on myself... and I was moved... I took it from ambient in the begining to melodic goa after.. then to harder style full on goa.. then into minimal.. then into morning "cheezy" goa the morning cheese is what was so amazing after all that darkness... I brought back the morning out of minimal with the track S-range Boom. Wow it worked. "The Goa Experience" is amazing. I really want to see Goa Gil now.

Guest spirit_dancer

i told ya mE...thats what its all about...plan a trip to goa sometime...thats a trip of a lifetime...unfortunately im too broke to go this winter...hopefully next year...its only the plane tickets that cost soo much..once there everything is dirt cheap...thats what i love about it...its like heaven on earth...and with Gill spinnin'...u can't go wrong...

Guest bugbread

Once again the dissenting opinion, but: for the most part I don't dance for the whole full event, just the morning stuff. The dark stuff is just filler and I usually start to get sleepy during it, so when the morning tracks come on I'm too damn groggy to get into it. BUT, that isn't to say it can't be done. My favorite show was an outdoor show that started with normal stuff, then around 11pm started with live shows (like Kinocosmo) with LOTS of energy, guitar, live drums, etc., which eventually segued into REALLY spooky ambient. Not dance at all, but the atmosphere was fucking AMAZING. All the big lights were turned off, the stage surrounded by candles, and time literally stopped (er, well, figuratively). People were standing in place, staring into the sky, wandering around silently, but no-one was bored. It was just an atmosphere that was not of this world. Then with the sunrise Ubar Tmar started his set slowly, building up to incredible complexity and energy levels, and finishing the day off (a four hour set) with amazing power.

Still, optimally the high energy stuff comes when everyone still has energy, not at the end of a long long wait. If it's done right (as I imagine Goa Gil can do) it's awesome, but otherwise (95% of the shows I've been to) it's just painful.

As for dancing DJs: the best DJ I ever saw was a happy hardcore DJ who beat matched PERFECTLY despite the fact that I NEVER saw him fiddling with the controls. Not that he wasn't, of course (he's a local DJ and would never get away with playing premixed stuff because all his friends would disown him), it's just that he was INCREDIBLY fast at beat matching. So 90% of the time he was dancing around, running into the crowd to dance, making goofy faces and "jokes" with the music (running away from bass drum sounds, etc.). It was pure genius.

As for the DJs responsibility for playing the crowd: the crowd here has gotten REALLY bad. Lots of newbies in it for the drugs, so the DJs who try to satisfy the lowest common denominator just play minimal all night. My favorite DJs are the ones who end out alienating some of the crowd by playing really off the wall stuff with complexity that throws off the...more chemically adled section of the crowd.