Posted Image

Artist: Hypnoxock

Title: Tales of the Mind EP

Label: Trance Lab Argentina

Date: September, 2010

1. Camouflage

2. Reflex

3. Emotions

First off, damnit why did I get such a big picture? Second, how the hell do you pronounce this name? Hypno - sock? Hyp noxic? I think they do this just to f*ck with you. The Spaniards are at it again with this digital download after the tremendous debut Synthetic Resurrection. If I had to I would label their style as twilight psy and I have yet to hear these guys make a bad track. I found this on Juno Download so if you're interested you can start there.

Camouflage- At first I was like...whaaaat? Then I was like, ok let's dissect this. These guys blew me away with their debut; it was fast, intense, and melodic. This starts off with a huge beat and some great effects in mid tempo. It's groovy and they're channeling their inner progressive. There is so much to occupy the ear it is ridiculous. The "break" is smooth with cool cat flow and allows a new melody to blossom, not unlike my boys Flegma & Nerso. More leads join the party and it sounds really massive. It snakes its way with that galloping bass line providing perfect dance floor material. That was unexpected, but I loved it!

Reflex- With a break beat start and lots of pads another big kick drops in. The bass is equally large, as effects set the stage. Another progressive romp, this one also brings the groove. The break allows percussive effects, and stretching pads to really create space. The groove returns with a vengeance and finishes strongly. It's a short track, but worth the time put in.

Emotions- "You have 5 seconds to terminate this tape."

Flutes, effects and pads really create a solid intro. The bass bounces and then a bass synth takes over sounding very analog. Thick and fat, just like your mom. Another lead stealthily advances rising and falling right into a break. This one is of a quicker tempo I believe and more in the psy vein, but still rich in sounds and effects. Your mom comes back and she is pretty groovy for a fat chick. Loved it, I hope she calls again.

Man I did not see that coming. If you like the Iono music style you will love this. It's massive, detailed and uber groovy. As I mentioned earlier I guess they are flexing their progressive muscles this time. Great job as this is a wonderful listen proving they cannot be pigeonholed. It's less than $3.50 so nothing to lose. Man, I can't even get a happy meal for that.

Juno Download

Mdk

Second, how the hell do you pronounce this name? Hypno - sock? Hyp noxic? I think they do this just to f*ck with you.

It's pronounced "Hypno Shock." They're spaniards after-all, and in Spanish "x" sometimes is used for the "sh" sound. There's a clue on Synthetic Resurrection too, the track "Futurexock" has a repeating sample of a guy saying "Future Shock."

It's pronounced "Hypno Shock." They're spaniards after-all, and in Spanish "x" sometimes is used for the "sh" sound. There's a clue on Synthetic Resurrection too, the track "Futurexock" has a repeating sample of a guy saying "Future Shock."

Thanks a lot for the info. Did you hear the EP?

Mdk

• 1 month later...