Sound quality Help

Guest Dexter

Can somebody put light onto how to enhance an mp3 files that is 128kbps quality to 320kbps so that it can be played on a pro CDJ .

Guest Kurki

Don't know another way but decode and encode. I don't know if you can decode an mp3 and have same quality as original file, but I guess that would bepossible if the encoding algorithm is known.

Maybe someone else knows?

Guest Kurki

Then I will favour Ogg Vorbis for sure. But how does that work in practise? The wave is always the sum of all waves recordedsimulateoulsy to one source so there is no way removin a sound that cannot be heard, 'cause all of the sounds are always played and affect the sum wave, and thus are heard. Or that's what my head tells me. It might well be wrong though.

My friend once decoded an mp3 which he had encoded and then inverted it's phase and summed it up with origial and the result was silence. How is this possible?

Anyway I don't know a shit about mp3 compression so don't listen to me. :P

"cause all of the sounds are always played and affect the sum wave, and thus are heard."

It´s not that easy.

Ok, sounds mix with eachother and make overtones and stuff but sometimes you only hear the overtones and most of the time you dont hear all of the overtones.

If you for example hear a loud sound at 1khz it will take some time for your ears to adjust and be able to hear a not so loud sound at the same frequency, thats one kind of masking.

When you hear a loud sound in one frequency some other frequencies playing at the same time become inaudible, thats another kind of masking.

The mp3 format removes all these inaudible sounds.

I also think that mp3 removes some stereo information in the lower frequencies.

Its not hard to restore an mp3 if you use the original soundfile. If you invert one of the files and mix them you will be left with a soft noise, that´s the removed frequencies. If you mix these back into the file they where removed from you will have a copy of the original sound. =)

Guest Kurki

Cool.

Do you know what is this bitrate thing then and how does it affect the output mp3? Obivously qualitywise, but how?

Guest Thiago_SMS

bitrate[kbps/s]=kilobytes/seconds... So higher the bitrate, better the quality.

mp3 just cuts the frequencies that u ear hear not so well(not so important). Not so important but for sure audible!

About making a 128 mp3 sounding better, it´s very hard. Don´t even try to encode on higher mp3... U will just have a 320 mp3 from the 128 file(so worst than the original 128 track)... The only way is mastering( u will never achieve nice qualitu with 128 mp3), but..... Buy your music and u will never have this kind of problems...

Thiago Naka(Turbo Trance/High End)

Guest Kurki

It is scientifically proven fact that inaudible high frequency sounds up to almost 100khz produce response in brain and makes music feel better! Rainforest is full of these sounds, so it's not weird that our brain can sense them somehow.

ok, a bit offtopic.