WHAT SOFTWARE TO USE???

Guest HILLTOP82(When the shit h

So Im on a Imac using RESON 2.0 most of the time... I do have access to Cubase and various vst modules... But Reason seem allot easyer to use... What are the pro´s using? Do I have to buy Hardware such as Nordlead? Or is there modules etc that are good enough? Im doing some cool stuff allready, but help is never wrong...

Guest Psysector

If you have the money go for hardware i dont know what software pro using but i know they all using hardware.Go for reason 2.5 and plug it with cubase

www.psytrance.hostcubix.com

Guest alejandro

Pro´s use cubse sx or logic(mac only) and use reason via rewire., the hardware issue has already been discuted you can still make quiality music with soft synths., as long as you have a good computer,soundcard and monitors and of course knowledge on how to make music.

Thank u so far! This question remains... Does Hardware sound better? Can I not modulate SUPERSOUNDS with effects and Softwaresynths that is crisp, Crystal Clear and equal to Hardware? Is the soundcard in a IMAC good enough or should I be getting a better one? AND Most of all... WHAT ARE THE BEST SOFTWARE (VST) SYNTHS (a top 5 maybe?)? WHAT IS THE BEST DRUMMACHINE SOFTWARE?

/D

Guest alejandro

The issue is not that hardware sounds better, again, is how you can manipulate the souns (synthesis) some really good vsti in my opinion are:

pro 53,albino 2, discovery 2, audiorealism bassline, fm7, novation v-station, and the list goes on there tons of good quality vsti, i recommendo you to start with soft synths and progress will tell you what you need, theres are some good hardware synths that rae not so expensive such as the microkorg. and other artist using sofware besides talamasca is astrix, wrecked machines (not too much lately) to name a couple. good luck

Guest responsius

The top five vst synths to me: Absynth (THE BEST), z3ta+, Reaktor Sessions, Tera and the fifth.... could be Albino or Pro53.

Drum machine: I´ll go for the RM IV (Linplug), NI Battery, FXpansion dr008 or use a vst sampler.

Talamasca did actually use software, and so does Gabriel le Mar. Many other artists (not only from psy trance) use software like Reaktor, emagic samplers and synths, absynth... and probably have good hardware (audio interface, dynamics processors, etc...) that make it sound even better.

No doubt, you should get an audio interface for your imac (check the usb and firewire stuff from maudio, emu, edirol etc. If money´ s not a problem go for MOTU, digidesign or rme systems).

HEY THANKS YOU GUYS! This forum Rocks!

What is the deal with this audio interface? What is it? What does it do? and do I really need it to get high end quallety results?

Peace out!

And thanks again!

//D

pro artists usually use cubase or logic as a sequencer because those programs have better algorythms so the sound quality is better than reason for example. If u switch to cubase u will be able to hear better what u are doing and especially for things like bass or high frequencies...

so my advice to u is.... try it out and see for yourself...

I have to disagree...

:-)

A) Reason sounds like crap - the low mid seems to be lacking punch

B) Cubase is ok...but fidly...see below

C) ORION platinum sounds better than any software I have ever used (including BuzzTracker - which would be my second choice).

Orion can export 32bit, the internal synths are much better that Reason's, it can use VST and DirectX fx and VSTi's.

With Reason, peeps use rewire to get the tracks into Cubase because then you have your wealth of effects (linear phase multiband compressers et al) available and an increased resolution possible for output.

This was how I did it.

Then I found Orion, you can load the FX into orion, it is PATTERN based!!! Very important for me...

Oh yeah and that's not even going into the bussing arrangements...

Only prob with Orion is the CPU...it uses all the CPU on my 800Mhz machine with just 4 tracks...made buying a new pc necessary...

As I said, I use Buzztracker as well. Although the learning curve for this is very steep (you program pattern values in hexadecimal), the amount you can do is amazing. I have had like 40 tracks of stuff on a 150Mhz!

Really it doesn't matter. The main difference between hardware and software was lack of antialiasing in software (digital is square, real sound is rounded ... converting between depends on DA converters and antialiasing)

All of the programs above either implement antialiasing or have it as an option.

I have hardware as well, but prefer using software these days...

BTW I have been making psytrance since like 1996 and music since 1989...

I have a collective studio in town here (Dunedin, New Zealand) and a smaller one at home...

A live set though is a different story...

DONT TRUST A DESKTOP COMPUTER!!!!

The power at lots of parties is not the best sometimes and you do not get a very good 50Hz sinewave for the AC power...PC's don't like this (although a UPS/Laptop can resolve this).

In a live set, I take all my hardware, make up some seq's first, seq up the sequencer to a RedSound BPM extractor, hooked up to the CDJs and play...

If the CD which contains main beats, synth lines dies then it's okay, the hardware is already locked to the BPM of the CD and I am already supplying half the sound from hardware already...

Also if for whatever reason, the power goes off, the hardware can make a sound like .2 seconds after it is back on, whereas a pc will take like 30secs to a couple of minutes (depending on whether it tries to run scandisk etc)

Bit of a ramble, but nevermind...

Have a good day....

Oh yeah, there is a song Twisted Kingdom by Oxyd on Goa 2004 Vol. 1 Yellow Sunshine Explosion...anyone know anything about this artist or whether s/he has done an album or anything?

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pedro  quan

The last Vibrasphere album was made entirely with software and the production quality is incredible.

I think that it's more an issue of production skills than anything else.

Hey GUYS! Thanks for all the good advice! Just this thread has given me more light on the subject than I could have gotten anywhere in such a short amount of time... In the end I think like some say that it comes down to production, Imagenation and Skills... there is actually people making records just using Reson Ive heard (the Knife, The Streets (yeah not trance, but still cool music), so really Thnaks and keep working on your Tunes!