How to make new squeaky psychedelic neo sounds?

The modern neo psychedelic trance seems to commonly have these real squeaky sort of high pitched crystal clear sounds. I wonder if you know what I mean? Absolum, Alien Project, Astrix, Sirius Isness, CPU, etc use these sounds often. I have been trying to recreate these types of sounds on my Nord Lead 3 for a while but am having much difficulty. I just cant manage to get those crisp sharp neo-psychedelic sounds. Do I just need to practice more with making sounds with synthesizers or is there some common sample cd or software, or instrument with these common neo sounds in the presets? I`m sure either way that in the end it involves hard work and practice, but apart from the nord lead 3, can anyone reccomend some other instruments or softwares I can experiment with to try and create these awesome crystal clear neo-psychedelic sounds? Or, should I just stick to working more with my Nord?

Guest miKeLogic303

As you have obviosuly not found out yet, all the goa/psy artists today use the Time & Space: Psychedellic Sounds for Dummies sample CD. This is why all the new releases sound the same....

On the other hand, you could try recording your nord and use some plugins on it. Try the Destroy FX ones, get them from kvrvst.com or search on google.

peace out!

mike

basically u need to practice more...

i felt like u a couple of months ago, i thought i had the wrong synth (nord lead 2) but then i got a lot of other vst's and it didn't change anything.

If u can't make those sounds with nord lead 3 then u won't make them with

some vst's...

i'd say work harder on your sounds...

basically to make the sounds crystal clear like u said those artists u mentionned probably know how to Eq them right and how to use reverb and other fxs... try putting all the knobs down on your synth and then move one or two and see what it does, cause u don't need 10 modulations at the same time to make a good sound...

hope that helped...

ben

Guest atman

true psy lines like astrix and alien project, and all that shaist is pritty old school, new album of total eclipse doesnt sound new, cuz they didnt change much, all thouse mono synth 101 lines are old, dont try to recreate em, try to make smth new like progressive psy like ticon, vibrasphere, atmos, ect. remember 1 thing when you produce! -> be proffessional from the beginning! and u'll get good results ;|

Guest miKeLogic303

there's a good tutorial on synth programming (if you actually don't understand how it works) available on:

http://www.tweakheadz.com

As Ben said, it is important to know the basics of synth programming at least. I have used various synths over the years, and to get very unique sounds I still run them through effects. But it's really knowing what to use and when to use it that's important.

Hope you get there soon,

mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J.K.

Thankyou everyone so very much for your helpful responses! Producing high quality always comes down to hard work and practice but good advice and tips always help. I hope this was of help to others too. Thanx again!!

Guest J.K.

I cant seem to find this Time & Space, Psychedelic Sounds for Dummies CD anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Guest J.K.

Thank god! I would have been real diappointed if there were really some sample cds out there with all these modern sounds in them. That would be too easy, boring, and really limiting.

Peace Out

Okay...

Some sounds:

Eeerwaeahoh (Talking)etc:

Low pitch (C1-C2) sawtooth waveform (mebe 2 with ring mod)

LF01 set to medium rate, Max range, Destination: Osc1

LF01 set to medium rate (different), Max range, Destination: Osc2 or Osc1&2

HP filter set about halfway

BP filter (Serial - after) to move sound around

Little reverb, lots of delay (delay at 6 for left, 8 for right, feeding left out back to right input and vice versa)

Disolving Crysals:

Med Pitch (C4-C5) sinewave osc1

Med Pitch (C4-C5) sinewave osc2

Ring modulation on

LFO1 start high rate (Max) automate to low (Min) destination OSC1 pitch

LFO2 start med rate (3/4) automate to low (Min) destination OSC2 pitch

Ring modulation makes this one. Don't forget to put HP(high pass) filter on all effects, pad's etc so that they don't interfere with the bass (yes I know the sounds sound better with heaps of bass in the when you solo it, but overall it will get muddy).

BTW: Motown EQ is a nice idea for Trance/Psy, as you basically choose the nicest frequency of each sound, top& tail the freqs (i.e. band pass or LP and HP it) and then make sure every sound that is playing at one time has it's own frequency range...

Bla Bla, if these don't work for you, mebe I'm thinking of different sounds, if so, post a couple of track names and times in seconds and I will listen...

BBye

Matt

Guest psyhead

dude..., take a beer bottle..n a broken piece of metal....

scratch the bottle with the metal piece. i bet ya.., u'll surely get that sound .

its so simple. y r u makin it complicated by usin nord lead 3.

aha...! i got a better option..., y dn't u make that noise outta ur mouth ?

lol!

n one more thing...., dn't over use it in ur songs..cos ppl might think its a solo opera performance.

bye.

Matt,

Thankyou so much for your detailed explanations! This looks like some really good information. I will start experimenting!!

Thanks again!!

Guest HILLTOP82(When the shit h

One time I Kicked my litle brother really hard, he made a new squeaky psychedelic neo sound... I was really amazed and I did it again several times but this time with a microphone ducktaped to him... It turned out in to a CD that is now in the stores all over... Its called:

"Psychedelic Sounds for Dummies CD 1"

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, Thanks again for your detailed discription. I tried wat you said and bingo, I got some sounds I was looking for. This has also now allowed me to move on to create my own sounds through what I learned by playing with these settings you suggested. Your advice on the high-pass filter was also absolutly essential! Thanks so much for your time!

Peace Out,

J

• 1 month later...

you find those sounds in the virus and in the yamaha cs6r..but:

i planned to integrate those sounds into my production, but then, after a weekend, listening to brandnew isratrance productions, this sounds really make me sick..

nearly everybody seems to use the same sounds, effects, etc..(except infected mushroom)

i think it`s time for a new revolution, like atmos caused in 1998 with "klein aber doctor"

because neo full oun isn´t new anymore..

now you can call it just standard full on 2004..

greetinx

thorsten(klopfgeister)

--->klopfgeister.com FREE unreleased mp3 downloads!!!!

...squeeky squeek squeak.. :rolleyes:

made this sound with reason's subtractor the other day, but it can be applied to most subtractive synths. ;) turned out pretty well even though it's become a cliche like anything else in the full-on sound these days... :angry: first, init patch. then turn the modulation envelope amount to about 90 and use the mod env decay to get the pitch right. set it to 54 and use C0 on your keyboard to trigger the sound. adjust the default filter envelope velocity amount to 0. Set filter 1 to bandpass then open it up even more by pushing it to 90 and add some resonance (about 30). now, to get some movement set lfo 1 to modulate the filter frequency and set the rate to about 50 and amount to 40. amp envelope values: attack: 0, decay: medium, sustain: 0, release: fast. play with the filter envelopes to sculpt the sound even more.. now add some pingpong delay fx for the final touch. B)