Triplets, offbeats and warping with FL Studio??

Guest zee-werp

Hey guys

I have been tinkering around with fruity loops a bit lately, trying to make a bit of trippy musics and whatnot...

Anyway, a lot of the time I get a beat in my head, and I find I can't reproduce it with fruity loops because either the beat I want doesn't fall exactly into one of the boxes (what I would call an offbeat) or, I want to do a triplet or something like that.

Can I do offbeats and triplets and any other stuff like that with FL?

Also, a lot of the time I find I have a loop created and what I want to do is take one of the settings and gradually change it so the sound slowly morphs in whatever setting I am changing. I can do this 'live' as in if I change stuff while its playing I hear it warp and change, but what I want to know is how can I do this so that it saves these changes live as they happen?

I know I could just make multiple loops with each one changing slightly then line them up on the playlist...but what if I want it to change even within a single loop?

Any help is much appreciated!

Guest Peep

Well I don't know about FL, never it so comfortable. If you got some hardware, you could try to record your beats live. Or then you could use external drum machine or sample editor to construct your beats, then slice them up to little sample sequences and then compile them to main sequencer in an order desired. That way you could have triplets and offbeats as samples. If there's possibility to start sample with an offset or delay, that could also add much versatility or even do the trick with single hit drum samples.

And for that morphing you need to automate. Depending on sound source used there might be many ways to do it, but basically it is done with envelopes assigned to parameter or midi CC or something like that. Usually envelopes can be recorded.

People using FL could really help more, and you should really tell more about your setup.

Guest zee-werp

Thanks for the tips man.

I played around on it a little more and I have nearly managed to do some more interesting stuff.

One of my main problems is that my computer totally sucks...233mhz, 124 ram...etc...totally shit...

Luckily I am getting a new computer soon (hopefully) so then I will be able to use the full features of my software.

But at the moment yeah I am just aiming on getting some basic ideas down, I am using soley fruity loops at the moment, no other software or hardware.

I would still appreciate any tips anyone has on constructing more interesting loops etc. so any fruity loops users out there feel free to have some input!

:)

Guest factor mazorca

to do triplets, just go at the list at left and click on the "humanize" and then it will apear "triplets# and at least you give that to the sound you ar trying to ( kick, bass, wathever) and voila!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Humanizing won't help! - Right-click on the track you want to put triplets in and send it to the Piano Roll. Here you can make each note any size you like. At the top of the screen in the task bar, you'll see the little 'Snap' section. Click where it says 'Line', and change it to 1/4 Step or 1/2 Step. Back in the Piano roll, you'll notice that you can place the notes at 1/4 or1/2 steps etc... If you change the 'Snap' to 'None', you'll be able to move the note at even smaller increments.

Just place three 1/4 sized notes next to each other to create a triplet effect. You can even adjust the Velocity levels to create a fade-in etc.

As for 'Live' tweaking, the only way I have figured to do it in Fruity is by selecting all tracks and copying them all to the next 100 patterns, then open the Playlist and place a bar in each pattern one after the other, so as to create a staircase effect. Then select 'Song' mode, hit record and play Live. You don't have to change patterns, because it's in Song mode, but all Automation will be what ever pattern you have selected at the time of recording. Right-click on any knob you have tweaked, select 'Edit Events' and there you go, Hope this has helped.

Kel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest voorhees

Hey guys i`d like to listen some good psy trance, does someone know any site where i can listen some good music?? i`d be glad...