mr perfecto here would like some detailed opinions about rev

when talking about getting the most professional and good sounding soundscape, do you think the best way to go is using as many different kinds of reverbs as possible (like ultimatly one for each reverberated sound and each reverb tweaked to fit that sound) or to try to simulate a real physical space and stick to that reverb (as long as it isn't a huge deal with a particular sound that it should sound like it's coming from a differently sized room..) or maybe having 2-3 differently sized reverbs and just working with those reverb spaces and really just those exclusively.

i do something like the first AND second way i described. btw, i use cubase sx and reason + some hardware making psyish trance.. anyway, i prefer to only use completely dry samples and put some subtle reverb on all percussion, all from the same send. and then usually just use one big reverb that i put on most of the other sounds that are going to be reverberated. however i also have some "odd" reverbs on some stuff, like with v-station and other vsti's i use the built-in reverb if they have one, and in some projects reverb is also coming directly from reason.

i guess any way of doing it is fine as long as you get the sound you want, but it would be interesting for me to hear how other musicmakers work..

even if it's just to say that it just doesn't matter and all reverb sound the same! ;) .. and i guess you could have a similar discussion about any effect, but with most other i effects i really do feel you should custom fit them to the sound your working with.

cheers and good night

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

In my opinion the first approach is best. Needless to say, Negrosex is right - too much of a good thing... If you have a very dry soundscape, a single sound with a nice reverb will be infinetly more effective than the best reverb ever, in a soaked mix, with reverb on many sounds.

What is important too, is to have different "dimensions" on your reverbs. Room for some sounds, hall for others etc. This will create a much more "spacious" sound, than just using the single-most-fantastic-reverb-ever on all sounds.

.oO Andreas Oo.

i agree, less is more. that's true for most things. but tiny subtle reverb instead of completely dry sounds can really make a world of difference on the overall sound (for the better). you really hear the difference after compressing and mastering the mixdown. i wouldn't dream of soaking my mix with a lot of reverb, then you wouldn't feel the effect as much when the big reverberated sounds hit you!

thanks for your input andreas, yeah multiple dimensions is prolly better than just simulating one big concert hall, and it becomes pretty obvious to me when i put it that way :) .. too bad the god damn reverbs eat up all my cpu power.

cheers!