warmth

Guest ritual om

do u know any dx or vst plug-ins giving a warmer and more analog sound eliminating this fucking digital harshness and coldness.

thanx.

i know only one the bbe sonic maximizer.

Guest Paul Eye

You could try some analog emulation saturation/waveshaping plugins.

I've recently started to run my entire mixes (master compressor included) through the RubyTube VST plugin from www.silverspike.com - it's freeware and IMO it kicks ass :)

Some more nice analog-style freeware VST dynamics plugins can be found at www.digitalfishphones.com - the Endorphin is a quite nice, although rather unorthodox and unsuitable for some material, two-band compressor/saturator. Of course, you can always check out the rest of the plugins there too.

That's all I have to come with, I hope it helps at least a bit.

I would gather that you are working mostly computer based.... Depending on the type of warmth that you are looking for, i would perhaps

suggest going "outboard" for it. There are lots of great tubewarmth

and saturation plugins, but nothing beats a real tube. for a general warmth

and saturation pick up a behringer tube pre-amp, or an art..

for nastier acid/bass distortion/od find a good guitar pedal....

ask your local guitarist for a good recommendation.

(vitrual pedals like sansamp and such are still real analogue)

software is great, but you can find old guitar pedals for $20 US...

r0ck 0n...

ea5t c0a5t u5a

agent8

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

I still have this dream about getting a decent tape-recorder - one of those oldskool ones with big tape-reels... That should work wonders :)

.oO Andreas Oo.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nepenthe

The BBE Sonic maximizer is not necessarily a "warmth" tool. The SM is just another one of the mystical magical "sound make-better thingies." -one of the tools that generates harmonic multiples of and/or detunes the sound run through it. The result is a fuller and wider sound that encompases a little more of the audio spectrum than a non "maximized" sound. Just about everyone produces something like it. Finalizers, harmonizers, sonic maximizers... most of the "izers" accomplish this task -propellerheads' "Unison" Reason plugin does this as well.

Many producers and engineers use them because -if used correctly- they do indeed fill out the sound without running the risk of cluttering the mix to too great an extent.

As far as analogue warmth is concerned:

T-Racks does a nifty job of warming up the mix a bit, and aside from that, it just kicks ass as a mastering tool if you cannot affort a. $18,000 Sonic Studio system. Otherwise, boy, nothing beats the sound of a good Tube/valve processor. Of course, ATR's are outstanding. One can find some decent prices on Analogue Tape Recorders on Ebay or other places. A well maintained and calibrated Otari 5050 can warm a sound well. I have used those to process two-mixes with good results. Not as good as something like, say, a Sony APR (1/2" two-track cat's meow), but 5050's work well none the less.

Simple things like bouncing your mix to a DAT can also yield good results.

Guest Catalyst

Are you saying that simply recording your song from the computer onto a tape recorder and then running it back into the computer will make it sound better? I'd be worried about introducing noise, but that sounds interesting. I wonder why that works.