Equalizing and mixing a music

Guest Schuenck_br

Hi everybody,

(first of all, I´m sorry, but my english is not very good)

I just wonder after I equalize my music in reason with VOCODER, I wanna know what option is better...

first: I just ecxtrat my music to wav, with low Volume, and them I open it in Sound Forg, after I Normalize the music, them I use the WaveHammer.

Second: I ecxtrat every Loop , (like the Druns, Bass, and others Loops) to wav, them a open it in Sonnar, then I mix the loops toogueder.

What option should I use?:

Thank´s

when u record a sound in wave format, you should have the highest possible level without clipping, instead of low volume. In reason that would mean get a high level in the green color, as long as it is not red, also watch out for the clipping light...

get a sequencer like cubase or logic, export your loops there and make all ur EQ and compressions, etc... in cubase or logic.

Guest semphirenz

also it is not bad idea to put or insert in your tracker or sequencer some of the external vst or dx plugins. in fx tree you should place first equalizer with high level (green light) and the a compressor...

after that you should open your file in s forge and normalize it to max...

Guest semphirenz

also it is not bad idea to put or insert in your tracker or sequencer some of the external vst or dx plugins. in fx tree you should place first equalizer with high level (green light) and the a compressor...

Guest semphirenz

Guest semphirenz

Guest soliptic

there is no rule about the order of eq and compression

both are valid, it depends only what you want to do. i'd agree in many cases eq first makes sense, but not always

as for the original question.... u could always avoid having to export everything to wav, by using rewire.

this allows to u route the various outputs of reason into the mixer of another app that supports rewire (like cubase for example.)

i've never used reason let alone rewire so dont ask me how :)

Guest Schuenck

Thank´s

just one more question...

How can I use Reason interligate with Cubase like u said?

I´m sorry , but I could not understand very well this Rewire part...help me please...

Guest Slidingtrancer

I'd say EQ before compress

You'd first want the sound to be perfectly in all frequency areas before you make areas sound distinct in the mix.

Soliptic is right though there is no RULE.

Just my two cents...

Starting point:

1) Export your mix into wavelab or a good wave editor at 32bit floating point.

2)Mastering chain:

1)EQ - mild cutting/boosting IF needed. Mud removal at 300hz is a common cut and a mix always benefits from a 3-4db reduction in that range if it is excessive. You'll find that "cutting" is almost always a better alternative to "boosting" at this stage. Use your ears to hear what frequencies need adjusting. You might conclude you don't need any changin here at all.

2)Imaging/Compression stage. Choose your best compressor/multiband compressor and focuss on each individual band in solo mode and make your changes in solo. Unsolo the band and hear it's relationship with all the other bands when they instantly become unmuted. Get the desired sound you want from each band (if you are using a multiband comp).

3)Limiting/Maximization stage. Without letting ANY of the 2 previous stages' outputs clip, adjust the maximizer so that it gives you a decent raise in volume and don't add so much that it begins to sound distorted. The more balanced you have made your song sound in the 2 previous steps, the more volume you are going to get out of the maximizer without sounding horrible. Balance your mix and don't stop working on the 2 previous stages until you are satisfied. This 3rd stage of maximizing should only raise the apparent volume of your "alreaady-balanced" mix it is not supposed to "enhance" your mix any further.

4)Dither. Choose your best dithering algorithm and put it in slot number 4.

5)Apply all the processes to your wave and get prepared to do some final analyzing.

6)Get hold of any RMS measuring tools. There are some great ones included in Wavelab under the "analyze" function. Analyze the master and it should have a peak RMS of between -6 and -5db. It should have an average RMS of -13 to -10db. If you master has this kind of response in RMS values then you are fine and are pretty much finished. If your mix is still too low (-8db peak RMS and -15db average) then you need to go back and add more gain in the maximizer. If you cannot seem to get more gain out of it without sounding harsh/screwed then you need to review the settings you have made in the EQ'ing and Compression stages. You will likely find that you did not balance the mix "enough" to make the "maximizer" happy to add more gain. You could remove all the sub-bass below 35hz and this will allow for another 1-2db of gain in the maximizer without sounding harsh. You'll know when it is balanced. It will be balanced when the mix seems to sound good with RMS values I stated above.

7)Editing. Chop off all the silence before the song starts and do your fade-outs. Leave 250 milliseconds before the first visual waveform appears. select that 250milliseconds and "Silence" it with the silence feature in your wave editor. It is important that you do this step 7 AFTER all your processing.

Following these steps will assure you the same volume and similar balance as a commercial CD. It is up to you not make it lose punch/clarity and all of the other things a real Mastering Engineer can preserve. Remember that it is really easy to add volume to a mix but it isn't easy to make it have "impact". This is why every single tiny step you do in the mastering stage should constantly raise the "question": "Is it sounding better or did it just get worse?" Don't be fooled by these tools, use them when you know how to improve your mix with them. If you don't know how to use something, don't use it. A tool can quickly become a "demolition-ball". If you don't really know what you are doing when "mastering", keep your processing to a minimum and it should sound better. Less often = more.

Starting point:

2)Mastering chain:

1)EQ - mild cutting/boosting IF needed. Mud removal at 300hz is a common cut and a mix always benefits from a 3-4db reduction in that range if it is excessive. You'll find that "cutting" is almost always a better alternative to "boosting" at this stage. Use your ears to hear what frequencies need adjusting. You might conclude you don't need any changin here at all.

2)Imaging/Compression stage. Choose your best compressor/multiband compressor and focuss on each individual band in solo mode and make your changes in solo. Unsolo the band and hear it's relationship with all the other bands when they instantly become unmuted. Get the desired sound you want from each band (if you are using a multiband comp).

3)Limiting/Maximization stage. Without letting ANY of the 2 previous stages' outputs clip, adjust the maximizer so that it gives you a decent raise in volume and don't add so much that it begins to sound distorted. The more balanced you have made your song sound in the 2 previous steps, the more volume you are going to get out of the maximizer without sounding horrible. Balance your mix and don't stop working on the 2 previous stages until you are satisfied. This 3rd stage of maximizing should only raise the apparent volume of your "alreaady-balanced" mix it is not supposed to "enhance" your mix any further.

5)Apply all the processes to your wave and get prepared to do some final analyzing.

6)Get hold of any RMS measuring tools. There are some great ones included in Wavelab under the "analyze" function. Analyze the master and it should have a peak RMS of between -6 and -5db. It should have an average RMS of -13 to -10db. If you master has this kind of response in RMS values then you are fine and are pretty much finished. If your mix is still too low (-8db peak RMS and -15db average) then you need to go back and add more gain in the maximizer. If you cannot seem to get more gain out of it without sounding harsh/screwed then you need to review the settings you have made in the EQ'ing and Compression stages. You will likely find that you did not balance the mix "enough" to make the "maximizer" happy to add more gain. You could remove all the sub-bass below 35hz and this will allow for another 1-2db of gain in the maximizer without sounding harsh. You'll know when it is balanced. It will be balanced when the mix seems to sound good with RMS values I stated above.

7)Editing. Chop off all the silence before the song starts and do your fade-outs. Leave 250 milliseconds before the first visual waveform appears. select that 250milliseconds and "Silence" it with the silence feature in your wave editor. It is important that you do this step 7 AFTER all your processing.

Following these steps will assure you the same volume and similar balance as a commercial CD. It is up to you not make it lose punch/clarity and all of the other things a real Mastering Engineer can preserve. Remember that it is really easy to add volume to a mix but it isn't easy to make it have "impact". This is why every single tiny step you do in the mastering stage should constantly raise the "question": "Is it sounding better or did it just get worse?" Don't be fooled by these tools, use them when you know how to improve your mix with them. If you don't know how to use something, don't use it. A tool can quickly become a "demolition-ball". If you don't really know what you are doing when "mastering", keep your processing to a minimum and it should sound better. Less often = more.

Starting point:

2)Mastering chain:

Starting point:

2)Mastering chain:

Guest Empty Space

I read thru all 4 of your posts, but in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ones you didn't seem to raise any new points.....

BTW thanks for sharing your insight