What do you use?

Hello trancers,

Currently I have been making music using Reason 2.0 and sound forge and I would like to expand my horizons. I just had a few questions.

Can I use plug-ins in sound forge? Particularly a vocoder, if so which one?

Is it possible to get a studio quality track using Reason or do I need to use something such as Cubase or Logic?

I was also wondering what you guys use as far as software as well as hardware?

Thanks

Guest soliptic

1a - You can use plugins in SF - but only directX, not VST. fortunately u can use a DX-to-VST "wrapper" program which works well in 99% of cases.

1b - I never used vocoders personally (I dont like them), but I hear that the Orange vocoder is a good one.

2 - i have heard extremely well-produced professionally released tracks made purely in reason (dont ask me for a psytrance example, but i do know of some drumnbass)..... so, yes, its possible.....however most people seem to agree that there is something a little bit crappy about the reason sound engine quality, and you're better off rewiring into Cubase or something.

3 - nuendo, soundforge, and many plugins : Waves, Ohmforce, GRM tools (especially) as well as TC, Timeworks, Steinberg, Destroyfx, and loads more. On the hardware side: Korg MS2000R, Emu XK6, Korg i3, Roland SP808EX, Mackie CFX12.

Thanks for your advise soliptic! Sometimes I just get frustrated, there is so much stuff out there and it is just insane to understand how it all works. Anyway as far as Rewiring into Cubase that sounds like where I want to go becauses I remember reading a thread about the sound quality in reason being not so good. But I have no clue on how that rewiring works at all. I just loaded an old version called Cubasis VST yesterday and I was playing with it and it worked fine, then I was in Reason and I opened the Cubasis while Reason was open and it hasnt worked since! I dont know what happened but all my music programs still work fine except for Cubasis. When I open it, it is just a white screen and nothing happens. I tryed to reload Cubasis and it still didnt work? Again thanks for the advise and I will check out some of the stuff you talked about. Hope you will help answer my future questions. Peace

Guest soliptic

OK well I've never used reason and I only tried rewire once (rebirth into nuendo, and i didnt get it to work)... so i'm not really your man... but here are a few ideas:

- not sure if cubasis supports it (cubasis is cut-down)

- u have to open the apps in the right order. i THINK this is host (cubase) first, then slave (reason), but it maybe the other way around... check the docs i guess.

- cubase vst is a nasty horrible program imho, u should try and track down cubase sx (again, i havent used it myself, but I believe it is vastly better)

• 2 weeks later...

hey i've use fruity loops for two years and now i completely dominate it, im moving on to Cubase SX - its better as sequencer because you get a staff per instrument [i prefer staff :D] i can make all sort of variations without creating more patterns or so [i could do that in fruity with one giant piano roll edited pattern], and it gives you more control of prodution which i found to be fundamental if you want to masterize your work - if you want it to sound somewhat professional.

I can link cubase sx easily with fruity loops and load fruity instruments as well as loads of vst, im planning to link it also reason just because of reason synths - cubase really works well as a sequencer

so my advice is to use cubase as sequencer and link it with other software

be advised : cubase is only a sequencer, it does not generate any sound by itself. So if you connect cubase with reason or fruity loops or other softw/VST you will get the vST/softw sound quality (at least it is suposed so :P), but i believe cubase or other sequencer like it gives you more flexibility over the time and it is better for prodution and future masterization

i use cool edit to work my samples around, and sound forge to masterize my tracks

hope that helped :P

[long text...]

PiNG

• 1 month later...
Guest Dj PsykotiC

hmm mim jusing Acid Pro . 4.0 its a werry good fore music makers llike us .. if you use Sound forge 7.0 with acid pro 4.0 you can do perfect sonds ,,,, :D

if you want better sound then tath you can allways have Reason ... to play a litel more with the sonds.......