Studio Monitors

Guest Producer

Has anyone had the experience of working with Genelek 130 or 129 studio monitors ?

are they a good buy ?

I didnt get their specs so can't tell !

ANYONE ????

Guest DeeperNET

Genelec's have a good name for themselves in the audio industry. I doubt you'll be dissapointed by them, but it's all about how the monitors reflect on your ears. The best thing you can do when buying monitors is actually going into a music shop and dedicating a day of listen to your favorite cds in all possible sets of monitors. By about 9pm, you should have your choice. :)

I run Event PS8's and very pleased by them. Have had no problems and have nice silk covers over the tweeters (keeps your ears from getting tired). Goodluck.

Guest Jeroen

ah..right..does that mean i made a BIG mistake when i first put on my headphones when composing? (iow is it wrong to make music through headphones, some argumentation would be nice ^-^)

Guest Producer

Well thanks guys the thing is that where i come from we don't have the choise but to get whats on the catalog unfortunatly can't spend a day listining :( but what to do but i maneged to have a listen to Genelc 1029 and they sound very through sound quite feels like you can almost touch your sounds also makie sounds very good but there prices are sky high

Boom

Guest Jeroen

well...it's a question of pros and cons right?...you have to get that clear for yourself..

you could consider buying a monitor that's a little cheaper, i don't know but maybe it's a good idea to trade in that little bit of sound quality for a big 'reduction'..is it that necessary that you have some kind of uber-monitor? :P you can do it with a cheaper one too, right? save your money for something else? ;)

Guest pzeffan

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I want to get some studio monitors for myself but I'm not sure they are all they are cracked up to be. I've been producing psytrance for a little over a year now and I admit that it has taken some time to get my levels down using the speakers that I do have but I think that if you can get a good sounding mix in some crappy speakers then you'll have a hit no matter what you throw it in. I have nothing more than the little speakers that came with my computer. I don't recommend this because it has been hell at times but I'm just saying that I wouldn't put to much stake in the quality of YOUR sound resting in the quality of the monitors you buy. Check out my stuff and see what you think.

http://www.mp3.com/ghosthunter. Later.

~pzeffan~

• 2 weeks later...
Guest djcl.ear

Well that is a choice...

Have you noticed how different the music comes out when played at a party, as compared with your home/studio sound system(let alone the pc spks)...

Specially in Trance there's a MASSIVE difference in the music you hear, even with good quality PA systems or with regular ones theres plenty of difference.

A good monitor will allow you to "place" the sounds spacially and help locate one from another, it will help you to made an architecture of sound rather than a plain monochromatic picture of your music. it will reveal the character, the warmth or not of the sounds, will not mask or colour the music you are creating.

....Or maybe your sound is intended to be grossly distorted so it doesnt matter... Anyhow but consider that nowadays even the popular noisy trance is everytime coming to have clean attacks or ends, or passages...

I remmeber hearing good noisy tracks and they are not Punk sounding, they are sculptured sonically as such.

At the end is like the feedback of your painting work comes out in a low resolution fotocopy...not much detail to paint there whether it is realism or impresionism or whatever rough style, (the more multilayered the more critical).

...Still there is the case that at the end you'll listen to it at MP3 or minidisc or at the bad radio on the car, then maybe it is not such a big difference.

I think the best monitoring system is the one that best reflects the place where you want your music to be played... This might involve you place your studio in a hitech tent(to avoid dust/wheather) right at the middle of a dancefloor with a top of the line big sound system...

Rather impractical...but dreaming helps us to get where we want....

On the case you still want it played at different locations/spaces, then monitor(or check later) how it sounds in different size and quality systems...