about sampling

Guest danne

hello!

What's the point recording a sound with higer bit/samplerate the 16bit, 44khz when regular cd:s cant handle any higer??? The reason I ask is because I just bought a cheap usb audio interface from edirol that dont spupport any higher.....

mvh

daniel

Guest dNET

well.. I will honestly say samplerate is not very important in electronic music. If you are using acoustic guitars, or anything really... Natural, your digital recording will sound more like the 'real thing' at higher samplerates. The human ear can not hear about 20kHz, but harmonics above that frequency reflect on the frequencies we do hear. Search on google about the Nyquist Theory on that.

Bit depth is a completely different story. Bit depth decides the dynamic range your audio file will have. Therefor, 24bit is recommened for professional recordings. You'll be able to tweak/eq/bend your sound more with out ruining the quality of the audio file. Your sound will become a lot louder and easier to mix as well.

Whatever you do... I'll tell you, do not use 48,000 sample rate. Adat companies made that format in the late 80's as a copy protection, and it was nothing more than that. They decided it was a good idea cause you could not translate it over to CD DA (16bit 44,100) easily. If you use a higher sample rate use 88,200 cause it is a multiple of 44,100 (what you'd end up mixing it down to). This way you will not lose as many samples, and not get any quanitization errors in your mix down.

Use 24bit 44,100, or 24bit 88,200 (if your card supports it)

Guest soliptic

truesay from dNET. in case it makes it easier to understand why bitrate and samplerate matter, let me drop a quick analogy:

imagine you have two numbers:

imagine the end result you can display can only be two decimal places (X.XX). if you say "oh well since we only have 2dp at the end, why bother with any more at any stage?? lets just truncate the numbers to 2dp, ie, chop off anything extra altogether, before we add them", then you do this:

1.45 +

1.32 =

whereas if you do the sums first, and then carefully round to 2dp, you get this:

1.45029 +

1.32681 =

rounded to 2dp that gives 2.78

2.77 != 2.78 !!

So basically, the more detail you can keep at all stages of the maths (and remember, every plugin you use, or even every change in volume you make to your samples, is basically a mathematical process on your audio), the more accurate result you get. whereas if you lower the detail you store during the maths, your end result gets distorted.

• 2 weeks later...