Novation V-Station...

Anyone tried the Novation softsynth yet? Just in case you didn't already know... Novation have made a VSTi of their K-Station.

Since it's supposed to be a recreation of the K-Station you'd naturally expect it to have all of the features. I suspected something was wrong last year when Novation first announced it. The specs given mentioned nothing about a vocoder or audio in - as oscillator (two features of the K-Station). I emailed the company to ask them if the V-Station would have those features and I got no reply. Of course they didn't reply because they knew they were leaving out those features!

What is the point of emulating a real synth and leaving out significant features?

Can you imagine Korg releasing a VSTi MS2000 or Microkorg and omitting the vocoder? I hear that Korg are planning to release some VSTi's but I'd be surprised if they left out features of the original.

Most virtual recreations of real synths actually add new features rather than removing them!

The V-Station sounds good but I think it's a crappy piece of work. Obviously the programmers decided it was too much trouble to recreate the vocoder and hoped no one would notice it had been left out.

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

I don't think they didn't reply, because the answar was negative... Being a major company, they probably answer the most significant mails first (no offense :) )

If I were to develope a virtual version of a real instrument, I would weight the features that are unique for the instrument, and pay less attention to the "minor" ones. There are millions of free VST vocoders around, and many new hardware synths has this feature as well.

I am a programmer myself, and the extra vocoder would be no trouble. It can, however, be difficult to use as VST, and better to have no feature, than have one that people think doesn't work, because THEY can't operate it - and then ask for help, and drown poor Novation with questions, whose answer is available at all FaQs, but since noone ever checks them, etc...

I think it's just a result of a value/cost evaluation... If indeed the vocoder has been left out... Maybe it hasn't...?

.oO Andreas Oo.

I'm sure it has been left out... I've looked all through the manual and over the synth itself. No vocoder.

It's not really a big deal cos I have a real vocoder effect on one of my hardware synths.

I think it would have been better to release the Wavestation as a unique VSTi instead of linking it to the K-Station. That way people like me don't start complaining when features are left out!

If Novation are selling the V-Station as a soft version of K-Station then people are obviously going to make comparisons. Apart from the two missing features I described, I believe it's a pretty nice softsynth overall. It has excellent tonal quality with some nice bases. Good effects section and arpeggiator as well!

Guest Bitch about feathers

How did you know I didn't pay for it? I might have? Have you been spying on me? Perhaps I pay for it in other ways?

Yes... I guess it really is not such a big deal. Just would have been easier to deal with emotionally if they hadn't sold the V-station as a K-station VSTi.

I have asked them to make a soft and bendy Supernova 2.

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

Oooh yeah, the Supernova would be soooo good :)

Feathers, what vocoder do you use? I have a "stand-alone" MAM which is nice - so nice, that I look for other real ones, that posibly have other "fingerprints" on the sound... Is yours any good?

.oO Andreas Oo.

Guest Bitch about feathers

I don't know much about my vocoder... It's probably not a serious vocoder... You see, I have the Wavestation A/D... It has a vocoder effect (not many bands though I think) as well as gating effects.

I haven't had my Wavestation long but I've always liked the idea of wavesequencing.

I also have Native Instruments Vokator which looks pretty good.

I have a lot of respect for softsynths but I still prefer hardware. I like to have real knobs to turn and instruments that aren't solely dependant one a computer. I can certainly understand why some people prefer the 'soft option' though. It has advantages.

The Wavestation A/D is old but it still has a unique sound.