Choice between soundcards

Guest Slidingtrancer

What do you people consider the best card?

MOTU 2408 mkII

RME Project Hammerfall 96/52 (250 euros)

Hoontech/ ST Audio DSP2000 C-Port (250 euros)

It's hard to pick, cuz I love the rack of the C-Port and it WAS my initial choice as I've been saving some money quite a while...

Hmmm...

Guest Slidingtrancer

I want it to hold something for the future, I have SBlive now (Kx-ed tho), a Evolution MK149C midi-keyboard and a Nord micro modular. I want as much compatability as possible and as low latency and best sound as possible.

Any ideas?

Guest Slidingtrancer

Someone offered me an Echo Layla for 130 euro's ...?

is that any good...

The RME-card is only the 96/52 PCI card BTW...

People, please give me a hand....

RME is stable, very good drivers for all OS'es.

Overall: high quality feeling. Ive been using a RME card for 3 years (one of the first lowlatency cards) and Ive never encountered any problems.

I havent tested Hoontech - maybe its good too?

Guest akindo

I think the good thing about Layla is that the analog in/out is in a seperate box, right? That means it's even more clear sound, because when the analog in/out is inside the PC, the PC adds some noise from it's electrical components (I've read in different places). Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. ;)

akindo

Guest Billy

Akindo: you wrote "because when the analog in/out is inside the PC, the PC adds some noise from it's electrical components (I've read in different places). Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. ;)"

So do you meen that RME Hammerfall adds noises? its inside the PC but its probaly the best card these days :)

Guest Slidingtrancer

Anyone have any comments on the Hoontech/ Staudio-card or cards in general?

I heard they have really good converters and stuff...

Guest akindo

I believe it doesn't matter which soundcard it is you have inside the PC, whether it's a good one or not, the noise will be added. But, like I said, I am not sure about this, just something I heard (more than once though).

akindo

An internal soundcard will always be susceptible to noise from the other devices inside a PC. Motors starting and stopping, heads moving across disk platters. A high-quality soundcard will have a lot of large capacitors and filters to remove as much noise as possible. The ideal situation is to drive a soundcard from it's own supply. The perfect supply is of course battery because it's very pure and relatively stable (apart from gradual voltage drop).

If an internal soundcard is properly filtered from the other devices then it should be pretty quiet. It also helps if the soundcard uses audio grade components and metal film resistors.

Well... Stop asking dumb questions and find out for yourself which soundcard suits you best!

I don't waste time asking people which synthesiser or which computer to buy! I do some research and decide for myself!

:-)

Guest Slidingtrancer

I did enough research on those cards to write 3 books and a brochure...

I need personal opinions from users, not statistics

Guest Mike Indidginus

I've got a Delta 66 (M-Audio) & it does the trick for me without any major hassles :) I know that's not one of the cards you mentioned, but I thought since you were looking for other points of view, it might be relevant....

Soundblaster 16?

Guest akindo

Yeah baby, that's what I've got! SB 16 ISA!

Great sound, the best vintage sound card money can buy! Ha ha, just kidding.

akindo

How about Adlib? Remember that? Anyone using Adlib for their PC music-making?

:-)

It's just FM you know... Like the DX without keys... Or a case...

Anyone have a valve driven soundcard? You know those valves add warmth and character to the sound.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest blink

i got the delta/omni 66 soundcard which comes with a breakout box so the issue about internal noise is not really relevant. its priced pretty good now, very low latency, low overhead, dsp, seperate controls for headphones/monitor, and super sweet sound. bought on recommendation from DeeperNet, a regular on this forum, and have absolutely no regrets. great card!

blink.

ps. screw the cynical bastards. keep on asking questions, and a few nice people will always be around to lend a helping hand.

new track: organicparadox-phatnatty

• 1 month later...