Moog Modular softsynth yum... :)

Guest schism

good for a softsynth :) i'll leave it at that.

listen to the aliasing down low and the breakup when running simple things such as FM etc.

but it has been endorsed by moog because bob feels its a decent replication and the "techno crowd" will enjoy it :) and then buy the real thing when they can.

i dunno Moog, maybe the "techno crowd" will pirate it? and you don't make the modular anymore! here's hoping they come back out with it...

bye

Guest schism

first off, i do admit its pretty good for a softsynth. but a real moog it isn't, especially a modular. nothing drifts like a moog IIIc ;)

anyway try using some audio rate modulation on the filter. notice anything funny? try a modulation using white noise. Any inconsistencies?

The redraw rate is ok? You don't think the knobs interact with the mouse funny? Maybe you draw in CCs or play with a midi controller, I haven't done that yet. Patching the cables uses a considerable amount of system resources and lags the os.

Try a self-oscillating filter sound. That doesn't sound funny to you? Its "weird". Nothing like a real Moog. The sound cuts out. Try a patch with more than 3 osc- sounds funny.

I've seen some people complain that the software locks up on Macs often. I don't use Macs so I don't know.

I do have another complaint: its not accurate to a real Moog modular in module count/arrangement (i.e. input jacks acting as attenuators, effects section that sounds terrible, etc)! Effects are fine but they should have added the cool shit like the Bode Freq shifter, Flanger or also the 12 stage phaser (I know that this was a rackmount extra, not sure if it was a module as well). The Fixed filter bank is cool but standard on "bigger" modulars. I guess that these first FX are rare though and Arturia couldn't get them in to demo/compare them.

Try running more than 6 osc- it plays fine?

Most importantly it just sounds off! :)

Well its a good start. Interesting to see how a v2 or higher OS will progress. At least its endorsed by Moog...

bye!

• 2 weeks later...

"I really don't see (or hear) how this one sounds better than most of the other newer softsynths"

perhaps you must clean your ears up a lil or buy yourself a new set of monitors...

moog modular will be the best vsti in terms of sound quality for a long long time,,,,at least til the other seller companies figure out that anti aliasing logarithm,,,ehe

I've been playing it for 5 hours now and it's a rush...ehe...still not perfect(CPU usage is way too high still)...but what the heck if you love those sounds get it!info on arturia told me the cpu usage problem will be shortly fixed soon with an update...