alien project riff

Guest bass merchant

hello, ive got a massive amount of softsynths but one sound i am having trouble making is the lead sound used in the alien project tune 'one good' that has the sample "distort my perceptions- to make my reality more powerful" DER DER DERDER

its sounds like it is being triggered of many times at once but i havent been able to create this effect yet with a softsynth, i can get very close on my ms2000r but i want to know the secret, i think it is some kind of modulation effect with a very fast rate?

any ideas??

sample here:

http://www.horrortrip.co.uk/alien1.mp3

Guest schism

listening to the clip again. actually, instead of cross-modulation, you can get the same results from either filter fm, ring mod or a really harsh overdrive/distortion depending on the tone of the synth.

Guest schism

not really ambiguous imo, most synths these days have cross mod. maybe you'd heard it referred to as x-mod (on vas or korg mono/poly etc). my fave cross mod is on the jup8.

anyway cross mod is the relationship of two osc each having an independent frequency, when you modulate one your tuning will be out of scale. that is the nature of cross mod - its not in 12 tone scale. anyway its great for harsh leads (especially if you have the cross mod amount swept in real-time) or sfx especially.