irritating computer problem when using XP and SX

my computer often crash and restart it self when i'm using vst-plug such as halion and absynth.. It sometimes restart it self to when i'm using winamp.

I dont have this problem on any other windows..

I'm using an amd athlon600mhz 128ram..

winxp, cubaseSX...

I rather use win98 seconedition than XP when it comes to musicmaking, but I like SX so much..... yes now to the question hwo can I make it stop witout changing OS.???????

I hope some one can help me!

MVH

/DANIEL...

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Your system is probably failing cause you only have 600 mhz processor and 128 MB of ram.

SX takes up about 50 MB or more of your memory as it is, with nothing else loaded up. You bring a program like absynth or halion in that's gonna take another 30-40 mb. Not to mention, you have the memory that windows needs to run. ...Then only a 600 mhz? All i can say is upgrade your computer.

SX clearly states it needs 256 Mb of ram for the minimum requirment, and 512MB is recommended. A 1 gig + processor is also recommended.

Hate to be a downer... :

Well... I have some interesting facts... I'm running Cubase SX on an Intel Pentium 3 500Mhz with 192meg Ram. I have two installations of XP. One solely for SX and the other for general applications. Both installations of XP are very stable and cubase never crashes. The problem has more to do with the manufacturer of the CPU. AMD chips are useless at multitasking. They're great for games but Intel chips are much better at running serious applications. I have a friend with an AMD 800mhz Athlon. He's had it for two years+ and today is the first day it seems to be working properly. He still doesn't trust it but it's a major achievement for him to have installed windows XP and for it not to screw up. The problem isn't with XP, XP is a very fast and stable operating system and lightyears ahead of 98/ME.

I had another friend who bought the latest AMD XP 2.2ghz system with 512mb 2700 Ram. It could run only one program at a time otherwise it would flip out and crash, it was as unstable as George W Bush. He sold it within a few months and returned to Intel. These are true stories. Did you know that AMD is an anagram?

You could try upgrading the soundcard drivers until you're ready to buy an Intel system. What soundcard do you have?

Guest Reflekshun

ok here's a question i'd like to ask.. is win2k more stable that XP for running SX?

I currently only have one OS: win2k. I'm hoping to buy a new HDD soon to install XP on it solely for SX.. wondering if it will be super stable.. oh and i have the dreaded AMD chip hehe...

_|reflekshun:::...

I know of a sound engineer who has an AMD system, windows 2000 and Cubase SX. It's apparently pretty stable. I don't know if Windows 2000 is more stable than XP. It has a lot of crap in it that you don't actually need.

It's a good idea to give SX it's own XP. Something else u can do...

Create a separate partition of 1gb and format in NTFS with 512 cluster size. Set XP's swap file to that new partition for max performance. If you have 512mb Ram or more then disable swap file completely.

Make sure you change to NTFS when you move to XP. FAT 32 is dog poo.

Feathers: You could try upgrading the soundcard drivers until you're ready to buy an Intel system. What soundcard do you have?

I have a ESI waveterminal 192L.... It have drivers for all wondows and asio2..

Feathers: You could try upgrading the soundcard drivers until you're ready to buy an Intel system. What soundcard do you have?

I have a ESI waveterminal 192L.... It have drivers for all windows and asio2..

That's good then. Why would you prefer to use win 98 for music? It's obsolete and will cause nothing but problems! Why stop at 98? Why don't you people go back to using win 95? :-)

I'm joking. I was serious about the AMD probs though. AMD is cheaper to buy and if they were as good or better than Intel then i'd certainly have one. They are cheap but they're awful at multitasking and will bring compatibility problems.

I have a cheap and nasty soundcard cos I don't need anything special just yet. What do you people think of the Terratec DMX-6 Fire?