reason

hello, i am about to buy a laptop pc to write music on...thats besides the point, what i want to know is is reason a good programme as this the one i am considering getting..?

If you want to create music solely using software synths then Reason is excellent. It has a vast array of sounds and nice synths. It has a unique CV/Gate control (like the old analog synths) system for wiring one module to another. On the down side it can't play/control external midi devices or use VSTi synths. This fact means that I won't be using it myself anytime soon. It's more practical for me to learn Cubase Sx because it works extremely well.

The sound quality is not very good in reason so watch out.

BAsically it is a good program for beginners but if you are serious about making music try to get cubase or Logic.

Guest Thread heater

Baaaaah

SUckerz think that reason is not enough good just because they ARE not enough good to learn how to handle it...

U can use reason solo if u feel enough patient for learning it... not that easy indeed... there are tricks to get high quality sounds dude!

Even people aren't affraid to spend all their money in EXPENSIVE hardware material which will give them quality sounds effortless... it's not my cup of tea for sure!

A few money but a lot of patience u'll need... for reason...

Reason is great, you can do all sorts of good stuff on it, nice sequencer. Only thing that really annoys me is the Reverb.

As Thread Heater says, there are ways to get really good sounds out of reason, still the reverb isn't my favourite, the other effects are ok, except maybe the distortion.

Bottom Line is anyway that it is good. There is even stuff you can do in it you can't do with the best VSTi's out there.

Guest Lars/Mindfly

Humm....only thing that really annoys ME, is the missing timecode...I'd prefer watching the progress in my tracks in time, instead of bars...(or perhaps I'm just a sucker, who can't figure out the way, of switching from bars to time...hehe...)

Anyways, you can get some pretty amazing sounds, out of that prog....just use effects and eq....I'm not to keen on the drums (kicks & snares) though..a good thing is to have a good sound library, and incoporate your own samples/sounds in your tracks, instead of only using the ones included in Reason.

/Lars

www.mindfly.dk

"Baaaaah

SUckerz think that reason is not enough good just because they ARE not enough good to learn how to handle it..."

totally agree dude.... and you have the REWIRE option that will give your track the boost on Cubase Sx or Nuendo

What's the point of using cubase sx and then loading Reason as a VSTi? Reason is unique in it's own right and capable of some great sounds. I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to control it from another sequencer though. I'd sooner make use of regular VSTi's in Cubase.

Cubase SX does everything I need anyway!