Soundcard

I think I could kill a relatively distant relative for an RME Hammerfall + multiface :)

I've got a Terratec DMX6Fire LT, Same Via Envy24HT and AKM codecs as Terratec EWX24/96 (and coincidentally the Midiman Audiophile, STAudio card and loads of other sound cards). Probably about the same drivers as the Terratec EWX24/96 too. Only bad thing about it is that I can't set the ASIO buffer size lower than 192samples/buffer, meaning 4ms latency at 48khz or 2ms at 96khz. I wont hide the fact that the reason I got it was that it was cheap, well about 110€ or something like that anyway. Oh yeah it hasn't got any high quality codec at the input though, so if you're about to sing and play guitar and drums and stuff like that, you might wanna think about something else :).

Lynx Two is supposed to be pretty damn good, price is pretty damn high too.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I'm still looking for a good soundcard with many 'future' options (open-end), but its hard picking one...

I like the Terratec 88mt and M-audio Omnistudio, but are there other cards in that pricecategory with comparable options, latency, etc?

I have a Nord Micro Modular, so i'm not looking for modular options, just a nice crystalclear sounding soundcard with low latency and a good set of options. (anything is better as a SBlive... :P )

sorry that i might bother you guys...

but...i have a stupid question.

i have seen people talk about sound card a lot here.

and here is my question...

what is it for???....yes...i know its stupid question but i need to ask.

if there is any kind person, please give me a shout

Guest Slidingtrancer

"Slidingtrancer, where are you in the NL?"

I live in amsterdam, but am currently staying with my more than great g/f in Rotterdam. Why are you asking?

Up till now I got these options:

M- Audio:

* Omnistudio at 669 euros

* Delta 10/1 at 799 euros

Digidesign:

Digi001 at 995 USD

ST-Audio(Hoontech):

* Ds2000 at 549 euros

RME Hammerfall:

*DIGI9652 at 589 euros

*DIGI9636 at 368 euros

*DSP9652 at 589 .... these cards look cheap but need expansion in Digiface at 599 euros so are expensive anyway

MOTU:

* Nice stuff but out of my league starting at 900 euros

Terratec:

* EWS88MT at 449 euros

I'm looking for a quality card with a lot of expansionpossibilities as I mentioned above...any ideas?

Please? I'd like to keep my budget between 500-700 euro's

Guest schism

ST: i asked cause i'm planning to move my studio and myself to Amsterdam sometime in 2003 if I can get everything settled.

What kind of I/O do you need and how many? If you can't afford to go the route I did (having a dedicated box for converters that then runs right into the soundcard digitally) then I figure the following is best in this order: RME --> Echo --> M-Audio. The Terratec and Hoontech are kind of cheap boxes. I'd only consider these 3 above and once again it really depends on the I/O that you need.

If you're not on a Mac then I'd avoid MOTU (from personal experience) and probably even Digidesign.

bye

Guest Slidingtrancer

Ah it'd be nice to meet up with a forum-member.

I really have problems choosing stuff ( I'm on a PC).

My current setup is a Evolution MK249C midi-keyboard, a Clavia Nord Micromodular and a lousy small useless mixer... I have my midi-keyboard nicely tagged to my clavia... but I want to 'catch' the sound on my soundcard....but the main thing is FUTURE options ( sounds like a Saikopod commercial here). I'm planning on buying mainly modules/rackversions, etc and I need as much 'compatibility' as I can...

I know of the conversion problems, but can you explain to me what the problem exactly is. I'm getting kinda confused reading the same I/O(ADAT)convertor struggles again and again.

I have the sound on my computer lined up on the speakers of my stereo, cuz I have no money for monitors...(yet)

I use Reason 2.0, Cubase SX and some nuendo, Wavelab and some VSTi's...

(and YES I'm still serious about music)

Try www.feedback.nl, they sure have alot of pro and not so pro soundcarts.

I don't know about your budget, but the Maya88 or Inca88 might be the best choice if you don't want to spend too much, but want to have alot of MIDI ports and good soundquality + a low latency.

Have fun, make some twisted music for me ;-)

Guest schism

hi. SL I added u to my ICQ...authorize me and we'll talk there.

<< I know of the conversion problems, but can you explain to me what the problem exactly is. I'm getting kinda confused reading the same I/O(ADAT)convertor struggles again and again. >>

What conversion problems? Truth is, even if all of the converters are 24-bit, some just sound better than others. Higher quality and whatnot. Having external converters like I do is very expensive and usually not worth it for electronic based music (you can hear the difference more in recording acoustic instruments).

<< I have the sound on my computer lined up on the speakers of my stereo, cuz I have no money for monitors...(yet) >>

Nothing wrong with that for the moment. When I started out I did that.

<< I use Reason 2.0, Cubase SX and some nuendo, Wavelab and some VSTi's...(and YES I'm still serious about music) >>

I use SX and Wavelab and then hardware. I think I'll pick up SoundDiver for my Prophet VS though.

Msg me on ICQ. Cya...

Guest Slidingtrancer

Hmm bugger, you got msn, my w98 is completely fucked up and I can't use ICQ for now...

I'll try and get Icqlite started ... Otherwise check the addy...

Guest coriolis

I suggest CREAMWARE PULSAR II

much more than a sound card - its a very versatile SYNTHESIS + PRODUCTION TOOL with many high quality features and effects, a full range of great sounding synths, and includes full control of signal path through any and all of its processing units. i cannot recommend this soundcard enough for trance and for general electronic music production! but you gotta be confident enough to use it because it can be a bit abstract/difficult for some people who like to work more with hardware and real cables than DSP processors and computer monitors!

and, if you want it with multichannel I/O, you gotta pay extra! i don't have external synths or hardware boxes (i don't need them, i do it all with the pulsar and with vst plugins) so i don't need multichannel i/o. but you may need that esp. if you have many external synths, and its an extra $500 USD or so, on top of the price which i think it goes for around $1100 USD.

• 3 weeks later...