Achieving good bass sounds?

Anyone have some good tips on creating good clear (not muddy, as in you can hear what note it is very well as compared to say a half or whole step down) bass sound?

I have an access virus if that helps with your tips at all...

Most particularly though: what are some good rules for filter settings and what's a generally good wave form to use? I've goofed around with it for awhile but it always comes out sounding muddy...also, I don't want a very squelchy sound but a more "real" sounding bass tone.

the two basic waveforms for basses are the saw and square. saw sounds more organic and the square wave is more punchy. lowpass filter, 3/4 down, low resonnance, subtle and fast enveloppe (on 10:) a0 d2 s0 r0 for classic "thump" bass and a2 d3 s0 r0 for a "womp" bass..

Guest coriolis

distinguish between different roles of the bass: the clear, audibly pitched harmonics, which are generally in the higher harmonic registers of the bass (between 120 and 300+hz) and the body-felt boom of it, which is the sub 120hz stuff, even down to 40hz, much harder to recognize in pitch and often contributing to muddiness. a clean sounding bassline will have a lot of the higher harmonics present and will not be too powerful in the lower registers (but not empty). sometimes i use two bass synths, one might be a sawtooth with an enveloped lowpass filter letting many of the 120-400hz-ish harmonics pass and a high-pass filter set at 100hz to cut off the low freqs that can often muddy things up, especially interfering with the kick. then i use a very smooth and low bass, even a sine wave, at the low note (like 80hz or something) in alternating rhythm with the kick. then your upper bassline can roll along and do anything it wants and not worry about muddiness or kick interference, and the low bassline can behave in line with the kick and provide that low thump sound. sometimes you don't even need those low frequencies at all in the bassline if your kick is punchy which it should be. listen to some good tracks carefully for their use of bass and its relationship to the kick. you'll often hear that the basslines don't even really have that much low, low energy, its the kick that hits those registers.

analog gear is great for basslines, by the way. digital stuff really can't touch it.

hope that helps

I also use pure analog synths for bass sounds.. I've discovered that no virtual synth can produce what analog ones can. Sure, if you add alot of eq, fx and different types of compressing you can make a nice bass also.

hey Beardo, I liked Shroom Doom a lot. I think you'd like some of my stuff...

As you know the Prodigy isn't the only answer :) Analogue surely is though =)

Guest Weirdo Beardo

Yeah!

Well, If you can't get you´r hands on the old precious Moogs, there is always alternatives....

Doepfer is making new synthesizers according to the old recipe!!!

I have an MS-404 from doepfer, and that one really rocks! Apart from the fat bass-sounds, it got a LFO that actually reaches up to around 5 kHz, so you can make some really nice noises aswell!!

The Doepfer is not quite so expensive, and much more easier to get than the Moogs, just surf in to www.doepfer.de .

Boom and Schwarrrrtzz!!!

/Ulf.G

• 1 month later...

There are tons of softwaresynths that makes awesome basslines,

Scorpion, FM7, Muon Tau Pro, Virsyn, Vaz Modular etc etc.

If you get a too "thin" bassound, try eq:ing it, maybe add some extra bas (PSP_Mixbass) and of course, NEVER FORGET THE COMPRESSOR kids!

PS. Hardware can be nice too, but it occupies too much space :)

There are tons of softwaresynths that makes awesome basslines,

Scorpion, FM7, Muon Tau Pro, Virsyn, Vaz Modular etc etc.

If you get a too "thin" bassound, try eq:ing it, maybe add some extra bas (PSP_Mixbass) and of course, NEVER FORGET THE COMPRESSOR kids!

PS. Hardware can be nice too, but it occupies too much space :)