cubase sx on pentium 3

i am opperating cubase vst 5 on a pentium 3 with 512 mb sdram

This is my computer maxed out.

i am building a new computer 1 step at a time.

i will also be buying a copy of cubase sx.

Cubase sx needs a p3 + 512 minimum to run.

i figure it will need more to run well.

??????????????**********????????????????

Is it wise to get cubase sx to learn it on my old computer while I save up to build the new one?

Is anyone here running cubase sx on a p3 with 512 md sdram?

Are there many conflicts?

Is cubase sx very slow in this set up?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((*))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you in advance for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

you should ask the resident expert ddepernetwerk/lifeform about this one. i remember hearing about some issues with p3's but i'm not real current on the particulars. also try the forums on steinberg's website. they stay very pertinent and concise with info

Hallo,

I'm running Cubase SX on a P3-560mhz with 192MB PC100 Ram. Obviously this is far from ideal but it works ok. I've just given cubase it's own partition and XP to run on. XP is more demanding of resources but it gives better performance than all previous operating systems. My Partitions are all FAT 32 but it looks like I'll be converting to NTFS.

There are certain steps you can take to increase performance. Obviously the first step is to give cubase it's own partition and OS. Secondly you can run windows in 16-bit colour. For anyone with 512mb RAM then you can turn off the swap file altogether (you can do this from SYSTEM properties or get yourself a copy of Tweak-XP). Steinberg recommend setting performance/processor scheduling to Background tasks (XP) but I'm not sure if this really does improve things (I'll be testing this later).

Since my Cubase SX has it's own installation of XP then it doesn't need internet access. This means I don't have to install Firewall/Virus killers on that partition which further increases performance. You can also turn off visual effects if you really want to maximise speed.

Defrag is important for FAT-32.

Regarding your new system. It's worth paying a little extra and going for Intel rather than AMD. AMD are good for games and useless at multitasking (any program running within windows constitutes multitasking:-)

Feathers