The Future Of Synth 'Knobs'?

Guest Reflekshun

This is just an idea, but i saw a documentary a while ago where some guy managed to hook an ADD/ADHD patient upto a computer with the following being controlled by the patients brain (of course it's more complex than the way i will put it):

There are spaceships on the screen - the speed of one is controlled by the doctor, and the other controlled by the brain of the patient. If the patient thinks 'slow' his ship will actually move faster, and vice versa. So this would condition the patient to think slower and more controlled or whatever.

Hehe finally i get to my main point: I reckon it's possible that this kind of thing may be used to control/tweak knobs on a synth. Call me crazy, but that's how all groundbreaking fads come about. It would be HEAPS more complex yes, but technology always evolves like that. Perhaps they would have preset settings as to what feelings/states of mind control the filter cuttoff, and different ones assigned to lfo speed or mod wheel etc.

I think it's just a step closer to getting the synth to be as easy/humanly controlled as something like the voice box in our throats. hehe just an idea, whaddya think?

Guest DeeperNETWERK

This was brought up some time ago. Where frequency's would alter the listeners state of mine but producing these waveforms that perfectly clone a human emotion. It'd be like the listener puts his headphones on and it zaps there brain, but in a healthy way. You take the headphones off... And they are fine. Maybe a little touched by the experience, but normal music already does this. It'd probably made illegal because it'd practically be mind control, make you completely tranced out. It's a great idea, though, yes! I'd buy one in a second.

Now I rember something long time ago

I actualy saw years ago a documentary wich showed someone having constructed a type of machine hooked up with his brain then transmitted signals to a sort of synth. And he really did music.

At that time it seemed interesing but not enough to take note :(

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

A more detailed version of the spaceships have actually been invented.

The technique is (eventually) going to be used in target mechanisms of fighter aircraft. A computer measures the pilot's helmets position and bearing, and the position of the pilot's eys - not by detecting their actual position, but by calculating the position on basis of the impulses of the pilot's brain - his eye-movements that is. This way, the pilot can target an enemy aircraft just by looking at it (the actual aircraft, or on the radar...)

This would be very easy to translate to synths, since the X/Y coordinates of the eyes are registered - these coordinates could control synth-parameters instead of targeting information. Other impulses from the brain than eye-movements could be taken into acount - and there ya' go :)

I'm hopefully writing a big project about "other ways of controling sound-generation" during the next year - but I'll be focusing on handheld devices, since brain-impulse measuring is beyound mortal men. But that will be a subject as well, and I might be discussing that in detail.... Can't wait!!

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

Will do Kita :) - although not for about a year or so...

Being this far in my studies, I'm building a "light-saber" toy - a normal toy-sword equiped with motion-sensors and contact sensor, to control my Waldorf - which will emit light-saber-noises :) That'll be so much fun... Imagine playing live, weilding a saber and battling someone from the audience, and fit the sounds of the fight into the mix... Great fun!

.oO Andreas Oo.

• 4 weeks later...

The US Military have invested great sums of money into mind control using various forms of radiated energy. A device has already been patented that can read brainwaves and decode thoughts by firing two microwave beams through a persons brain. The designers also suggest it can be used to 'alter' a persons thoughts or put images into their heads as well.

It seems odd that these people spend billions of $ developing weapons to control other people and yet they are unable to control themselves.

:-)

Feathers.