Computer/Synth question

Hope I don't sound like a retard (even though I may as well be...) but I really know very little about how home studios work.

Anyway, I just wanted to know how exactly using synths with computers works...

Say I'm creatin a song...and I wanna use a sound from a synth (Virus Access for instance, or some other virtual analog), how does this work exactly? Do you line-in and record the sound and sample it? Does this work in real time? How does the setup work?

Do you have MIDI coming out from the PC to the synth, then line-in from the synth to PC? As you see I'm pretty clueless! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if I were to use a true analog, how would you go about using that with a PC? Would I have to play a line or something and then record it into a sequencer rather than having the sequencer play notes?

Agh...

"Do you have MIDI coming out from the PC to the synth, then line-in from the synth to PC?"

Yes. But you propably ment line-out.

"Also, if I were to use a true analog, how would you go about using that with a PC?"

Some analogs have midi, some need 'midi to cv converter' and to some you can't get midi at all (or you have to find some expert who can build it in).

Guest DeeperNETWERK

For old anolog synths that don't have midi connection... There is a kit you can buy for about 80 bucks that gives you midi capibilities. You can only send note on and off messages though, no CC's. You have to tweak it realtime to do get movement in the sound.

deeper, not true, most midi->cv have other aux cvs out which u can control via cc. You can also sequence via cv/gate, which imho sounds much better than midi sequencing, for a synthetic groove sounds much smoother. The general set up would be computer sending sequencing information-> sound module via midi, midi keyboard ->to computer via midi to send what to play, then you route your keyboard's outputs into a mixer, then either you can send your audio to your soundcard, or an outboard recorder, or straight to the pa. that's speaking if u want comp to sequence your shit