those pixilated samples

Guest squirl magnet

what effect or filter is being used to get those wonderful pixilated sounds.

You know, like taking the word "hello" and making it....

hhh.hhh.hee.eee.eee.ell.lll.lll.loo.ooo.ooo

with even chops of silence between the sound that is being choped.

any one here understand what I am talking about.

Example the choppy voices in Hallucinogens "Angelic Particles"

or

The voice chop like chant in 1200 mics song "Ahyuasca"

thanks

Guest squirl magnet

No no. I have time stretched a lot of sounds. I am not looking for that.

I know this is a filter or an effect.

The time stretch slows the sample down, but it does not add the chops of silence.

anyone else.

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Timestretching can do this if applying very cheap and nasty algorithm, like colin mentioned. But i think, once again, you request the gate effect. And once again, i suggest Midigate by steinberg.

Guest spiralix

That effect is not timestretching..

To get that effect you have to use a midi triggerd gate... a gate that cuts of the sound as you trigger it..

there are a couple of those plugins for cubase for example.. midigate...

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

Deffinetly gating - parts of the sound is being removed with a set interval... There are plugins that can do this, but I prefer to run the sound through my SH-1, for that grudge'ing analog warmth.

The effect can be achieved by manually cutting out bits of the sound, but this is a VERY tedious procedure.... Try the midi-gate suggested :)

Also - some form of granulation can do this effect, but it would probably be very hard to get the right syncronization...

BTW, not to hassle anyone, but if I had a dime for each time this question was asked... :) - how about making a quick guide on this site, that captures all the FA's...?

Cheers :)

I'm not sure I know what you mean, because I haven't heard "Angelic Particles". I'm guessing that the same effect also was used in Matrix (while awakening Neo screamed, after taking the pill) - am I right?

Of course time stretching won't work. Also any realtime plugin won't work, because it would require very big buffers, and actually it wouldn't be realtime... You need tool like Gapper/Snipper in Sound Forge. I'll give an exact example for it:

1. Choose Gapper mode

2. Set freq to gap = 35Hz

3. Length of one event = 0.2 s

4. Fade edges = e.g. 8%

Check if the percent of original is 800% (should be).

Apply.

You need to mark "Selection Grid Lines" on "Options" menu, so you can see where is the exact half and quarters of the selection. Zoom as far on the beginning of the wav as you can see only the first and second gapped split and silence inserted between them. Now you mark everything and ctrl+c. Then make selection from the beginning of first split to the beginning of the second one. Set the cursor to the middle of selection (thanx to selection grid lines you know exactly where it is), and mix (100% to 100%). Mark everything and ctrl+c, and again set selection between first and second split (now the second one is in the middle of previous selection, as you just have mixed it in). Repeat these moves once again. Now you shall gain the "pixeled" wav as you probably need. You should also experiment with the mixing placements and with Gapper/Snipper itself to get some other effects. Here is the sample of this technique, so you can check if this is what you need:

www.epsilonpages.prv.pl/files/matrix_effect.mp3 (85kB).