Reason or Reaktor?

Guest snusnu

Hello there!!

Just wondering... I'm pretty new to the world of music making and the first idea that I had when reading reviews of softsynths was that Reaktor beat them all, hands down, yet I get the feeling that a LOT more people use Reason, NOT Reaktor.... So can anyone explain why Reaktor gets all the spotlights then?

SMI²LE

Guest Slidingtrancer

Reaktor is mainly a developers tool(correct me when I'm wrong) and its brilliant in its purpose... but very complex in structure if you haven't been familiar with synthesis from birth on!

Guest thesoul

reaktor is a sound synthesis tool; using which you can create endless haunting soundscapes;

as for reason; it's a self contained music production system;

and it's easy to get into;

therefore; for producing music; get reason;

and if you want to create sounds; get reaktor.

for a newbie; reason is tops though;

:-)

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Yeah, reaktor is a pretty extensive program that is definitly not for the beginner. You basically build your own synths, which is pretty cool. Which means you gott sit there for a long time and build one (or two, or three, etc...) before you can use it. If that looks kinda intimidating.... Look into Dynamo. It's reaktor with 30 or so... pre built synths. it's half the price, but once you get used to it... You can't build your own. That's when you gotta upgrade to Reaktor. I'd disregard Reason... and start with Cubase (if you have a PC) or Logic (if you have a mac). Skip the bullshit.

Guest snusnu

but but.. I thought Cubase and Logic were supposed to work WITH Reason and Reaktor, not replace them... Now I'm confused... can anyone explain further??

SMI²LE

Guest squirl magnet

Reason is for making music,

Reaktor is for making sounds

Cubase/Logic is for mixing the above 2 and many other programs along with recorded audio to make a final track.

Cubase/Logic is also used to control real physical synthesizers and tell them what notes to play and when to play them.

Cubase/Logic can help your prerecorded sounds and beef them up for the final mix.

Reaktor isn't for "making sounds" , it is for:

1) creating synths, samplers effects, midi aps etc

2) using factory machines or ones you create as VSTs inside any Sequencer

Reaktor is a great program by a great company. I don't find it that complicated either. It is just very flexibale useful both for the beginner (just using preset stuff , doing a bit of ur own wiring) and the expert (modeling synths etc).

You are way better of opening reaktor ensembles even in fruity loops than using Reason wich I find annoyingly graphical and way over hyped.

Cheers

Kits

I'd disregard Reason... and start with Cubase (if you have a PC) or Logic (if you have a mac). Skip the bullshit.

--------

This sentence has a bullshit value. If you're a beginner, DO NOT start with "fully equipped" studio, start with simplest tool. Move to the better ones ONLY when you feel you're ready.

Guest DeeperNETWERK

Well, whatever you say E.T., but Cubase or Logic is not a fully equipped studio. Maybe if i told you to sit down in front of a full blown protools setup, and say, learn this. Start with this. That'd be a different story, but, It's juts as beginner as Reason, but sounds better and won't be limited to the cheap sounding effects and tools they give you. Instead of have the learning curve, just start somewhere better, that's all i'm saying. I dont know how you can disagree with that. You'll have better results.

I dont know how you can disagree with that.

--------

Haha, very easly!

Primitive and simple tool is not only for easy music making for beginner, but cheap sounding and raw environment also toughens the novice musician's talent and skills. When one feels one can't get any better with that, when one notices one've reached to the limits of the tool, one knows it's time for something more advanced. Not earlier, not later.

Or else you will get another shitty musician, who is overwhelmed by his tools, who cannot get through it all, and his creations are deformed, half-baked, with usage of irrelevant sounds, etc. It's just like asking the wanna-be body-builder to rise up the 200kg weight...

Cubase itself IS owerwhelming for novice. And you want him to use Cubase only? With what? General Midi??? Using Cubase you need also some softsynths or hardsynths (but I'm sure you know that...), so it results with (almost) full music studio anyway.

Snusnu, don't listen to anybody - use FastTracker2 ;) It's free, it's raw, it's a good choise for somebody who cannot be even sure if music making do not bores him after some time (no matter how horny you're right now). Don't think you'll get good music after one year of composing.

Guest coriolis

my synopsis:

reason = very beginner producer toy, no other software needed to make tracks, but the possibilities are very limited especially due to the super-simplified sequencer. the sampler, rex player, and full routing capabilities are particularly powerful for such a small and integrated program.

reaktor = very powerful and deep synthesis tool, requires external sequencer to operate. used in conjunction with cubase or logic you can do a vast array of things. and you don't need to know how to program it on a deeper level - you can just use the pre-built ensembles and get a hell of a range of sounds.

i do not recommend considering reason as your workhorse for producing trance. it is okay as a starting tool for someone who hasn't made any electronic music but beyond that it isn't much. if you buy reason, know that you will have to get better software once you want to start making more mind-warping trance music.

don't get me wrong - reason can make interesting music. but hell, ANYTHING can make interesting music, including the pots and pans in your kitchen, but that doesn't mean you're gonna go producing killer trance with them.

coriolis

just to really screw it all up, you could get hold of a program very similar to reaktor and build your own sequencer...

effects,

synths,

so why bother buying more than one piece of software?

INFINTY!!!!!!!!!!

and enough of this sequencers versus software studios crap - it is getting fairly tedious. If you think you can write killer trance in a software studio, fine go and do it. If you think you need a sequencer than go and do that. Why the hell is everyone obsessed with getting one over on someone elses opinion?

grow up!

As for reaktor vs. reason. My personal preference is for reaktor, but others may well (and indeed have) said the exact opposite! My advice is that there is no right or wrong, merely personal preference.

Reason isnt a proper program for you to do real quality professional music. Reaktor is probably one of the greatest software ive seen for music, trying combining it with Logic for sequence purposes and you are on the right way ;)

Plur

• 1 month later...