why do you like psy?

Moongol: I thought my definition is clear for everyone, but probably I was wrong... Even if there was the time when psy fitted my definition, today's psy-composers repeat old ideas, what disqualifies them immediatelly. Don't try to put a shit like: "oh no, that's not true, there appear new and new ideas in it all the time!", because newest songs of Celine Dion contain new lyrics you haven't heard before... Maybe if you consider as a basis the psytrance itself, you might find artists who make "truly artistic" psytrance. But psytrance is a part of electronic music, electronic music is a part of entertainment music, and next this one is part of music. And music is the base class, which does not inherits anything. This is what I'm talking about.

"Because i think it is really hard to create an art concept that might emcopass all art troughout history... "

---------

You really seem not to understand... Imagine an ocean (a music) on which there are inslands representing different genres. You're trying to unite all of them, so country you've made contains all elements ever created. I didn't mean it. I meand building a boat and getting out of this achipelago (or at least island, to discover new one). That's a true art to me, and not expanding the island you already inhabit.

Blinky:

"you see, from your point of view, you justify a limitation to a genre or medium"

-------

No. Look above. Genre IMO is a limitation, but very music (as other media) is not, because it's a BASIS of one of ways of human creativity expression. You can cut off all branches of the tree searching for the core, but you cannot cut it more, because you'll left with nothing.

And I'm not a fan of TD. I'm rather roughtly familiar with their music, like few their trax, that's all. But I don't need to like some band to be able to affirm their artism. Even if TD was limiting their music somehow (actually I don't know, and don't need to know what limitations you're talking about), these boundaries are much tinier than Henrix'. Shall you deny?

"give an example of art"

-------

Sorry, i'm not familiar with the history of art good enough, but I'll give you Brian Eno, maybe Picasso, and the guy who invented the wheel (don't remember his name though;))

I know that being a musician you feel much stronger it this discussion, but so far, I can notice subjectivity typical for every specific community member. Oh, why do I see it so often...?

Entity Tenacious

Guest Slidingtrancer

We can only build on the shoulders of Giants....

You cannot see any artist, whether thats in the 'old arts' or 'modern arts' completely untied of their time and perspective they gained by the ones that came before them.

Guest thesoul

remember the movie "matrix" ?

remember what morpheus tells neo before he asks him to jump from one rooftop to another? well; that's what psytrance does.

it FREE'S YOUR MIND

that's why i like it. it can MAKE YOU FLY.

that's why i like it.

i'm with ET on this. psy isn't art, besides for a very very very few amount of artists, i can't name any actually. som e goa maybe when you're tripping. but psy just to me = ear candy. I don't really sense emotion in it either, cept when i'm dancin to a good melody. but psy doesn't really encompass these melodies. but some psy can be art i guesss...but still very few. it's party music, and party music ot me does not equal art. even hallucinogen, one of the greats of goa/psy said "i make music that makes you think you've taken a lot of drugs"(paraphrased cuz i forgot what interview i read it in), i'd still put his are u shpongled into art. hrmmm : ) now i'm stepping on toes though.

I don't think there's a concrete definiition of art, it's mainly subjective, or more really than subjectivity, but something that can't be explained...it's jst when u know it...u know it...

but lets think about this in terms of paintings, photos, sculptures, if we do that, then we realize art is merely innovation. piccaso was famous because he changed the rules, and questioned them. when photography came into play, certain painters would paint a box, and have things cut out such as people(meaning only half the body would be there), because of the influences of the photograph, and that was art, and innovative. and creative.

if it is neccessary to have a definition, i guess art could be considered innovative in it's field. but it's field must be for the senses, not for practical uses. to convey ideas more or less.

what is art in psy? is there any? is there much that isn't mindless dancing music?

why do i like psy? i don't know, a lot of the time i don't, when i do tho i just simply do. it gets me dancing, i like the vibe at parties. If i were to really explain it i'd probably be conning myself, forcing myself to believe in more delusions. just like i think half the "why i like psy" posts are here. it's not the best by any means, it doesn't convey the best vibe, it isn't the most involved. I think it's really just about liking the attitude... I shut up now tho : )

one thing tho i think when people say like 'it sends me to outterr space' just sounds too cheezy :) maybe it's just bad english comin through : ) I wish psy had more idealogies that weren't about selfish hedonism:

• 1 month later...
Guest DJ Raiden

For a Non-Mainstream Dance music style like this, it stands itself out from everything else. It sends me images of Psychedelica as I close my eyes and listen. It releases my imagination into millions of different shapes and colors through mental visions. Imaginations in which I would be under a certain hypnosis by something beyond nature. It's also like the Buddha; it makes me become lost in a psychologic trance as the music pounds the dance floor like mad. It can be seen in the way you want it to be seen and heard in the way you want it to be heard, letting your mind take over in what will happen inside the trance you are under. You can dance almost anywhere with this music. You become freed away from the boundaries in life for a short amount of time, allowing you a spare moment of letting your imaginations run wild. Especially when creating it, you can transform it into anything. you can transform it into something trippy, heavenly, hypnotic, sugared-up, Raged, Electric, Dark, or even something evil or disastrous. It sends certain messages and that gets imagination to kick in and help interperet the messages. Like Einstein said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge." It even rises higher than intelligent knowledge through disdained ways. It's a certain art of unlocking the mind and releasing the spirituality and the unknown visions hidden inside. A lot of stuff, but that's how I view Psytrance. Give me a message if you're confused by all of this bewildering text. XD

Guest panchamk

why do i like psy?

don't know.

but it beats listening to those stupid excuses for singers [read : boybands---girlbands] anyday.

it's freedom. ultimate freedom, freedom from boundaries, where your mind can expand, lost in the collective consciousness for eternity, without having to worry about life, death or anything.

that's how i feel.