Yamaha SY85 Workstation ???

Guest Jikkenteki

I think I could very well be the only person using this synth to make psy-trance. I bought one of these when they first came out (way way............ back when) and I still have it and have recently started using it alot again. Its strong point is in building lots of nice pads and atmospheric type things. This synth predates most of the wicked evil squelchy synths used so much in psy-trance today, but if you sit down and tweak it enough you can still get some fairly good sounds in that area. The built in sequencer isn't terribly great and there isn't any sort of real pattern mode (outside of for drum loops), but I never use it so it doesn't really affect me. The effects are decent (some better than others) although I sometimes wish they were a little more flexible. I usually end up using some outboard effects on it, either VSTi stuff or hardware when recording. Its usefulness kind of depends on what type of music you're trying to make. For that full on sort of GMS nasty ripping trance it is probably of questional value, where as for some sort of Juno Reactor like trance it might work farily well. Considering they are pretty cheap these days used, I think it is probably at least worth checking out and playing with a bit to see if it might fit with what you are trying to do. I know in "musician" circles (that is to say people outside the electronic genres) this synth is still fairly popular and alot of people still use them as their main synth.

• 2 weeks later...