question to Elysium Project

Guest Lunar Man

spiralix: i have anwered to your mail..

EP: I am only going to use my hardware synths (i hate software)...so then it's cool?

Lunar

PS: it's very nice to have you around and help us with our problems :)

Guest Elysium Project

Yeah then you do not need another soundcard :-)

If you like to you can always send me promo's. I am always willing to help new and talented artists on their way with the contacts I have around the world.

Let me knwow if you need some help.

We neighbours need to stick together :-))

WELL.

what a pallava!

imho, reason and fruity loops have got a bad sound engine, however this is not neccesairly a bad thing! More hangs on a good release than just crystal clear sound.

Point in case...

Miles Davis' greatest albums were recorded on a shitty THREE track, which recorded everything a quarter tone under real life pitch. and the shittiness of the recording adds to the 'feel'... Really, if this album was crystal clear, it would be nothing. The dirt adds to the sound and makes it warmer.

If we are all so obsessed about the crystal clarity of our tracks, then why the hell do we then press them to vinyl?

I have been complimented on occassions for the production quality of my tracks. I use a DEMO version of fruity loops for most of my music, and ACID to sequence it together. It is perfectly possible to produce good psy trance in a budget studio. The only limitations are your own hang ups when it comes to the sound you are hearing.

I'm not picking a fight with anyone, I'm just saying the whole thing is a creation of the popular media, that you MUST have the latest version of Cubase or Logic, you MUST have a fast PC, you MUST spend hard earned cash on the latest software with 'essential' features.

Open your ears and your minds, psy trance is after all meant to be experimental music (or so i once heard) and therefore, is it really desirable to get the exact sound you were after EVERY time?

anyhows,

peace and RESPECT to everyone here wether i agree or not.

scalar

Hmmm dunno bout reason, but i think for drums, and pasting up samples fruity loops is alright, just its effects are shit, and the quantise is lame. Now the new fruityloops is a VST ill use it a lot more for samples, as i havent really found a soft sampler i like much yet, and i like the easy step sequencer, Cubase needs to sort its grid out a bit. I don't mean turn into fruity style stuff, cos that would suck, but a red line on the beat would be nice. That grid spoons me out a hell of a lot. Maybe my tiny brain cant handle it who knows :)

Guest bahamut

For all reason users, I don't think you need a lot of gear to sound more professional. I think you can accomplish a lot with 1 hardware synth only. It's all about getting the most out of your stuff.

For example: a Virus, a good souncard, Cubase VST with some VST instruments/effects (ie Battery for drums) and you can do some stuff that sounds much better than anything- reason.

Sounds to me like its those people who are sitting on the top of the pyramid telling us how it should be becuase they want to stay up there. Look at the artists that Elysium is mentioning...Xdream, kox box... guys who have been around for a long time. Guys who having been making music long before the newer software technology came out. How old is Reason??? A few years. like 2 or 3 i understand. And all the old timers are stuck in their ways. Don't tell me if Reason wasn't out 10 years ago when all these guys were starting that more people whouldn't still be using the newest version today!!! And again...producers want to sound like all these top acts??? What the hell. Seems a lot like mainstream pop...ie get the formula sound and you're in rather than just be creative. There is definatley a top group of insiders in trance...the illuminati. All these artist who have lived the lifestyle and don't want to be topple off that by a changing scene. They want to make you all believe there is a right way to make this music and it requires lots of money to buy the proper gear...thus making it our of reach for most people. Then they canstay at the top. It's sad. This music was about freedom...not running the corporate line...going out there and having a great time in a beautiful spot because we are alive...what else should we be doing???

The way i see it all your GMS, Etnica, Antidote...i dont' want to go on... these people are scared and don't want to share the pie with others so they have decided to bad together, become snobs, tell people what is right...how to do this music right... and therefore lost the point that inspired this whole movement in the first place. Your music is good Elysium...just remember why people make it.

Guest Elysium Project

Quote 1

"Sounds to me like its those people who are sitting on the top of the pyramid telling us how it should be becuase they want to stay up there."

Quote 2

"The way i see it all your GMS, Etnica, Antidote...i dont' want to go on... these people are scared and don't want to share the pie with others so they have decided to bad together, become snobs, tell people what is right"

Now jota that's not fair. If I or they would like to stay on the "top" and not share the pie with you why would someone like me or OOOD Colin bother to come here and help people with some of their questions?

Again if you bothered to read my posts correctly you would see that I ahve absolutely nothing against Reason as a tool for learning and as a tool for using it togetehr with other equipment.

I am not bothered to start all over explaining why I see Reason and Fruityloops as a no no in a"professional" production..read my posts properly.

It's obvious to me when I hear a lot of new bands that they eagerly want to sound like the bands I mentioned in a earler post.

To your information I haven't forgotten why I make music. Why other people make music is non of my business and shouldn't be yours eighter.

Yes gear is expensive but as I have said a 1000 times before:

It's stealing people's money to sell them a badly produced CD.

and as a final note:

Not all people can become artists (it seem like everbody think so in this scene).....it takes talent too. Not only a "fancy" tracker program.

Heck i would love to become a painter ...but I am realistic...I can't paint!

You seem like a jelious "kid" to me. that think all the old timers and "on the top" bands are wrong....and hat you know better.

Hell go ahead and use your Reason programs....in the end it's up to you. But remember there is a reason why the "top" bands are popular.....Of course they have to make good and creative music but it's also got somthing to do with the production!

Sorry, I finally have to respond. All this is CRAP. 'Professional' is irrelevant. What is relevant is whatever is good enough to make people happy. what people? whomever you want to listent o your stuff. Maybe that is you. Maybe that is your friends, maybe that is club-kids in Goa.

"It's stealing people's money to sell them a badly produced CD."

If the people who bought it are happy with it, who the fuck are you to say I'm stealing their money? If they're not happy, it won't sell. It's pretty simple market economics.

"...you should respect the people that buy your product and invest some money and time in a "real" studio - even if they can't tell..."

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT. You should spend exactly as much money as you need, to get the sound you want. If that sound makes people happy, they DO NOT CARE that you used a $15,000 outboard synth instead of the Casio TS-80 or a freaking pair of teaspoons.

Elysium, I dig your tunes, but your ideas about this are WAY off base, IMO.

it's not how you get to the sound its what it sounds like.

some of the best pa's ive seen and best tunes ive heard have been made on low grade setups..

who gives a fuck about crystal clear quality as long as your tune(s) rock the sytem.

reason used in conjunction with nice mixer/eqs/bits of kit etc.. makes a great sound.. specially with hardware compression/effects

Im sure elysium will agree..

Gotta agrree. People who fiddle with kit become very anal about music. 50% of people who go to parties and dance, don;t have a clue about how its made, or if its production is proffessional. As long as they like what they hear, and it feels good to dance to, thats the writers job done.

Oh yeah, why can't everyone make psy-trance?? Ok maybe not eeeveryone, but if a person is reasonably intelligent, and has the patience to learn how to do it, then i dont see why they couldnt make some reasonable tunes. Ok you may not be an X-Dream, but i don't see why people have a go. I'd guess that this is what most people on this forum are doing, having a fiddle, finding a way to interact with the music they love other than dancing to it. I for one am not intersted in "professional", I just like to play around, see what i can come up with, I don't even care if what i make is rubbish, cos every time i fire up the equipment, i learn something. I like learning new stuff, I'm not intersted in making a living from writing trance, cos theres no money in it anyway. Hoping to earn a wage making sounds for computer games

Guest etherealphaze

I've uploaded some of my trax at Http://etherealphaze.iuma.com

there i have one track : Liquid Blue Vision

Its made With Reason only !! (care to judge the quality, Elysium? (o: )

and then i have an OLD modplug tracker+Fruityloops track : Samadhi

u notice the difference in quality between the trax?

U can do good quality in Reason, but not the best!! The sequenser in

Reason 2 is the BEST EVER i've worked with so far and Fruityloops the worst!!!! The only real bad thing with reason to are the softsynths, fx (not reverb) And the sound that is not really super-mega-diamond-shape-perfect-crystal-clear but much better than trackers imo and works for me at the moment. For crystal sound cubase or logic may be the best way to go.

From reason i think im evolving to Cubase SX + VST .. but it sounds

very complicated to make things in cubase. its a strange new environment

to explore ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest coriolis

remember that reason is commercial software engineered for a market audience. this audience is people who like trance and dance music in general and want to make it themselves but don't have the experience or equipment to do so (hence the affordable all-in-one package nature of the product).

because of this, it seems to me that reason exists BECAUSE of the innovations and creativity of people who *didn't* use it. reason in itself is designed to encapsulate and emulate (and poorly so) the musical geniuses who came before it.

it is interesting (in both a promising and sarcastic sense) that you talk about using reason as a way of superseeding the "elite" artists who look down upon it - since it is their work that it owes its existence to and it is their work that it tries to make 'easy' for novices to make.

but reason is not "bad." reason is actually pretty fun and much can be done with it. it is a breakthrough for the domain of consumer-based music making technology. but i see it in this light - as an attempt basically at emulating / encapsulating a now very well defined "sound" or "genre" of music and marketing it to the growing class of DIY at home music producers.

but this doesn't mean that it can't be used creatively! i fully respect and endorse reason as a serious music tool just as i would ANY instrument. if reason CAN be used to create new and exciting music then so be it. but you're going to have to get past its inherent 'design' (which is fundamentally imitative) and start using it outside the lines.

coriolis.