Stupid question!

Guest Avogaden

a friend of mine gave me dj traktor this week, and I don't know how to do a very simple thing...

I know you guys are probably gonna think "uuhh this guy is really dumb", but whatever, I have to ask this, nobody is born knowing everything.... and there I go mumbling again...

ok.... here is the problem.

I plug the headphones to the monitor and start playing a track, but the track only plays in the headphones!!!!!!

What the ¨%*&¨(*& do I have to do to play it in the headphones and in the speakers?? (like paying for people, when you listen to the track in the headphones and prepare to mix with the one already being played in the sound system)

Again... this is a very basic question, i'm not really a dj (duh, thats obvious).

Thanks!!

Guest bugbread

Click "Setup", then click "Master & Monitor 2 x Stereo" on the middle left of the screen. Select your main sound card (the one you want to play to the audience) from the dropdown list for Device Master, then choose your other soundcard from the droplist for Device Monitor, and presto! You can monitor!

Guest Avogaden

thanks man... you are probably right.

But im an idiot!!

I have tried what you said before...

Still no sound gettig off my speakers.

Only headphones.

and when I choose different sound cards, music plays all messed up in the headphones even using only one deck.

Whats wrong here?

Guest Mike D

It sounds like the configuration of your soundcard is messed up big time dude, you need to sort it out. Have you used both before? And did they work fine?

Guest Avogaden

well mike.... i guess it cant be messed up cos everything else is fine.

Tell me, do I have to put different sound cards for master and monitor??

Or put both the same??

If i have to put different that means I need to have 2 different sound cards in my computer?? Is that possible?? Never seen a pc with two.

Guest bugbread

Well, it's common to have two if you're an aspiring DJ or musician, otherwise no. HOWEVER, since a lot of computers come with a sound card built into the motherboard, but a lot of people want a better soundcard, it's not so uncommon either. They usually ignore the onboard soundcard 'cuz it's inferior, but it's great for monitoring off of.

If you have one sound card, it IS possible in Traktor, but all your music is in mono, because it makes one speaker the main speaker and the other speaker the monitor. If you plug in headphones, it'll be all fudged up, but, for example:

If you use a minijack to stereo cable, and plug "left" into your stereo, and connect "right" to a headphone, then it'll work. Still, to play in mono is troublesome AND sounds terrible, so it's completely not worth it. If you're serious about playing with Traktor, get a second soundcard (if you already have a good soundcard installed, buy any old crappy soundcard and use it for your monitor).

Guest bugbread

Nonono, don't panic. First, although you can use Traktor with one soundcard, it's really bad, because it's in mono, so don't bother doing it.

That part was easy, so on to step two:

Buy a cheap cheap sound card. Install it in your computer (this will be the only hard part, and if you're lucky, not very hard).

And if you cleared that stage, just follow the instructions in the first response, and you're free to go!

Guest Avogaden

Okay....

i'm not giving up then. But I didnt understand the mono stuff...

I did what you told me to do, but stil NO FUKING SOUND GETTING OUT OF MY SPEAKERS!!!!!

hehehe

Sorry.... I hate when something doesnt work and I dont know why!

Guest bugbread

Ok, what exactly do you have plugged into what? I haven't used Traktor with headphones and other sound output, but I can probably guess my way through it. Also, on the headphones, do you hear sound in the left and right headphone, or just one headphone?

Guest Avogaden

Well that is my situation :

My computer has the speakers in the monitor. They are not separate. There is the monitor and the speakers are in the sides. (this sucks)

Then, in the monitor too, there is a headphone output, where I plug the headphones.

Basicaly thats it.

I'm sure that I'm going to have more than one unpleasent surprise before this thread is done!!

: )))

Guest bugbread

Ooh...you're right. When you said "monitor", I thought you meant monitor like "headphone monitor". Well, if you plug your headphones into the video monitor, it just diverts the sound meant to go to the speakers to your headphones.

So: how is the monitor connected to the sound card? Is the info all carried inside video cable (DVI plug), or is there a separate cable connected from the sound card to the monitor? Also, are there any sound outputs on the sound card itself (i.e., do you have any headphone plug looking holes in the back of the computer itself?). There should probably be some, even for an integrated monitor speaker system.

If there is a headphone jack on the computer itself, plug your headphones into that headphone jack, not the one on the monitor. If there are absolutely no audio outputs on the computer, then your only chance is to hook your computer up to a stereo.

So, which is it?

(Can you tell that I work in tech support?)

Guest bugbread

Ah, wait, just realized: as long as your audio is not carried inside the video cable, you can still do it without a stereo. You'll need a few cables and connectors, which you can buy cheap (maybe $10 for the whole thing, or less) at any stereo store. But that all depends on how the audio gets to your monitor, so let me know.

Guest Avogaden

Well... I just pluged the headphones in every possible hole in my computer.

And I was playing the track with winamp.

The only hole which the sound stopped coming out of the speakers and came out in the headphones was the one in the computer monitor.

So what I need is to connect my pc with another stereo sound system and then plug the headphones in the pc monitor.

If I do this there is going to be sound getting of my headphones(pluged in the pc) and getting out of the sound stereo??

Guest Avogaden

aaah.... I have a guitar amp.

Can I connect the computer to it??

So there would be sound in my headphones(pluged to the monitor of the pc) and in the amplifier??

Guest bugbread

Ok, I just tested things out on my 'puter, and basically, if you set it to "Master & Monitor 2 x Mono" you get your main sound from left speaker, and your monitor is the right speaker. Probably, then, the easiest thing to do is to get a minijack-to-RCA (stereo) cable, like this:

eb884.JPG

And plug it into your monitor headphone jack.

Then get an RCA to minijack connecter like this:

eb868.JPG

and connect it to the left RCA plug. Then use a minijack to amp connector like this:

stereo-adapter.jpg

And now you can plug that into your amp for your main sound.

For the right RCA plug, get an RCA to minijack (female) connector, like this:

eb429.JPG

Plug the right RCA plug into the socket, plug your headphones to the other end, and presto, you have monitoring! And all for under $10!

But, to be honest, when I tried it out at home, it worked, but losing stereo makes music sound pretty awful. I certainly don't recommend it.

Guest Pswede

I have a major problem with Traktor: THE FUCKING LATENCY!.. I mean, I have a ASIO-soundcard, but if I choose ASIO in the setup I can only use ONE soundcard with ONE output... How much does that suck!? :(

I use a AMD XP1800+ with 512 MB DDR-RAM so the computer isnt the problem here...

Guest bugbread

Are you using Windows XP? If so, it has a MASSIVE but easy to fix quirk. To fix it, start Traktor. Then press CTRL-ALT-DEL, and Task Manager will appear. Select the "Process" tab and a list of all programs that are running will appear. Find Traktor, and right click it. The bottom of the pop-up list should be something like "Priority" (I don't know exactly, because I'm not using an English version of Windows XP). Select that, and you should get a list with "Realtime" "High" "Above Normal" "Normal" etc. Choose normal! I know it seems realtime would be better, but the latency problem actually appears when this value is high, not low. If you set it on "Normal", the latency pretty much disappears.

You have to do this every time you run Traktor, but after the second or third time it becomes second nature and only takes a second.

Guest Avogaden

Damn!! Thanks bugbread!!!

That was a great explanation.... anyway. I'm not american and I cant understand the technical words used.

I dont have theses cables too.

Well... I guess... @!#$ it. Im not a dj. Just wanted that for my personal fun.

But I can live without it.

Besides, all that stuff just to get a crappy sound(mono stuff), i guess it doesnt worth it.

I give up!!!!

Thanx!!!

REally!! Your attention was remarkable!!

Guest bugbread

Don't sweat it (that means: you're welcome). Traktor really isn't worth using if you're using one sound card, but setting it up with two soundcards is really easy once the second card is installed and working. If you ever have the chance/ability to put in a second card, definitely use Traktor (I'm pretty addicted to the software now that I can use loops well for beatmatching the starts of songs).

Sometimes tech support is fun!