hardware justification please......

Guest shanti

hello kindrid spirits,

i was just curious as to why one would by hardware synth's (up to A$5000 for a nord!?!) when you can have any synth on your computer, as many as you want for that matter! with a midi interface it seems like the logical choice........is it sound quality? (cosma = amazing quality all from comp.)

thankyou and may the force be with you.......

Guest Tranceptor

I think it all comes down to effort. I think you can create anything you want with software ( if not now, then in time...) but without the 'feel' of real knobs... it does feel a little lousy. Plus using software takes up more time I guess...

Guest The Nothing

Go check out the talamasca interview on this site.

He made the whole of musica divinorum using just cubase and reaktor (with the exception of a nord2 on like 1 track)

all the tracks are of extreemly good quality and i would go as far as saying they sound alot better than many tracks ive heard that were done with shitloads of hardware.

for now hardware still delievers a better sound (in general) but its days are numbered, and i doubt ill be shelling out for any in the near future.

peace

-Dan

Guest The Nothing

for the lazy:

( http://goatrance.free.fr/intervws/talamas2.htm )

"4) What did You used to make the album? hardware, software... ;)

talamasca: ok , i know what you want me too say.........that i made it only with a computer.......well , it is quite true...if you forget the mixer and the speakers...(which is very very important to have a good sound!)i have a nordlead also , but i didn t use it that much on the album...i think just for the racer and psychedelic knights...i have a juno , and a pulse (waldorf)but i didn t use them....no , i use mostly programs...Cubase , sound forge , and reaktor , and it s enough for me to work and to make a track like "come on!"i use of course a lot of samples cds...but most of my sequencies are made with "reaktor" , it's a program who have a full studio in it , with a lot of virtual synths , effects , and combine with cubase , you have really enough to make good quality music.......money is not a problem anymore!!!before it was so expensive to have a studio!but now , you need a computer......so just make , and send us demos!!!!(lol)"

Guest buggy

I definately feel that digital synths's days are numbered, but *NOT* analog at all... analog will always sound better than digital. I don't really feel there's a reason to buy a VA synth, besides for the interface. soft synths sound amazing compared to VA, but compared to analog, they still are destroyed. I kind of liked the dedication it took to make music, it wasn't like any idiot can flip on saiko pod and have an instant full on track. IT took somone time in saving up....and there was something more. A lot of music today seems hollow, and i think that's from the over usage of soft synths...Taht and everyone uses soft synths, so the sound will be heard 1000 times, analog synths even the same model differ from the next one.. I kind o f feel that psy has turned into a soft synth abuse...kind of like a hollywood film with lots of fx, and once the fx get old the track's dead, like there's too much disposable psy out there..and just till the next soft synth comes out will the track be good, once that soft synthcomes out, the track's dead. Also soft synths simply can't deliver certain sounds, neither can VA. like the old schoool goa bass,i don't think people aren't making it because they've "evolved" from it, i think they don't make that kind of bassline because they simply can't. that's why most basslines are monotone:) but i philosophize too much about this, and i'll just bust out with my own sound of wicked abuse of analog synths:) that's my goal to hear what i wnt to hear : )

Guest buggy

I definately feel that digital synths's days are numbered, but *NOT* analog at all... analog will always sound better than digital. I don't really feel there's a reason to buy a VA synth, besides for the interface. soft synths sound amazing compared to VA, but compared to analog, they still are destroyed. I kind of liked the dedication it took to make music, it wasn't like any idiot can flip on saiko pod and have an instant full on track. IT took somone time in saving up....and there was something more. A lot of music today seems hollow, and i think that's from the over usage of soft synths...Taht and everyone uses soft synths, so the sound will be heard 1000 times, analog synths even the same model differ from the next one.. I kind o f feel that psy has turned into a soft synth abuse...kind of like a hollywood film with lots of fx, and once the fx get old the track's dead, like there's too much disposable psy out there..and just till the next soft synth comes out will the track be good, once that soft synthcomes out, the track's dead. Also soft synths simply can't deliver certain sounds, neither can VA. like the old schoool goa bass,i don't think people aren't making it because they've "evolved" from it, i think they don't make that kind of bassline because they simply can't. that's why most basslines are monotone:) but i philosophize too much about this, and i'll just bust out with my own sound of wicked abuse of analog synths:) that's my goal to hear what i wnt to hear : )

Guest buggy

Guest brian surge

Yes Buggy i agree totally with you i have one analogue synth and know people with 303s etc and nothing sounds like them. While v.a. synths are sometimes more flexible and are always in tune (i also use an ms2000) they never sound as warm and unique as their analogue counterparts.For example my friend has two 303s and both sound totally diffferent. Also playing something like rebirth alongside a real 303 will make you realise the difference (the 303 in reactor sounds more like the real thing so does their juno). I would like to think that v.i's sound as good but they just dont. Too many people using the same software (for example rebirth)means that everyones tunes end up sounding the same.And by the way you can tell the talamaska album was heavily reliant on soft synths it just has that hard digital edge to it that ruins (in mho) some very good tunes. I am not an analogue snob, i just know that it sounds better.

Guest The Nothing

I agree with you in many respects buggy, the availability (and inexpensiveness) of softtware has certainly made producing psy more accessable to a wider range of people, thus resulting in a surge of seemingly endless music.... but is this nescessarily a bad thing?.

A creative person who cares about their music and who is dedicated to creating something different will always produce a good track...the tools they are using are irrelevant (to some degree) be they software or hardware, its the end result that matters.

and you also have to remember analogue cannot do alot of the things that software can do...try doing something like absynth in hardware. There are many different types of soft synths around just as there are many analogue hardware synths each with their own characteristic sound.

Im not talking about anyone in this thread but i think alot of hardware die hards have to drop their elitist attidudes and open up to the whole spectrum of music creation tools if they want their music to evolve in anyway.

-Dan

Guest brian surge

Yes Dan, i agree with you about creative people being able to produce a good track no matter what kinds of synthesis or software they use, and indeed some of my favourite tunes were done using only software and not a bit of analogue kit in sight.I actually prefer a contrast of analogue and digital sounds as both sound so different, and as you say both forms have their own positive and negative characteristics, but i am still convinced that analogue is definately the way to go when you are mixing down a track. Digital mixers do tend to give everything a characteristic hard sound and the fact you are mixing 0's and 1's instead of electrons (as in analogue) it will always sound different.I can never get as good a sound if i mix down digitally as when i use my analogue desk.

Guest Woggly

well dan, it's also my interpretations that psy artst are more technicicnas than pure musicians, technicians should be using the better gear that would make better tracks. think of tihs, somone creative can create something nice with soft synths, if they're so diverse and adaptable i wonder what they'd sound like using analog!: )..they might utterly suck though, as i've noticedwith people dependent on soft synths and not understanding the studio environment

basicaly i think an utter understanding of the studio environment is neccessary a lot of people know how to work fruity loops, but not how to use patch bays, proper routing of fx, bussing fx...etc.

I'm not an analog snob either, but more often not the digital aspect of many new tracks completely turns me off, i loved goa because it was full of warm fuzzy analog sounds.

the problem with everyone getting immediate access to gear is that they probably don't have the dedication to work their asses off to buy this gear. I think the dedication+hard work to get the gear vs just getting pirated software really challenges your love for the music. kind of a tesT:) and gotta keep it real. That and i hear 1000 morons talking about production on these forums(well more the reviews) who know nothing of production and since tey've opened fruity loops they think they understand : )...sorry i just hate all these kiddiees being like "shite production" cuz they touched fruity loops and don't understand certain things are easier on certain pieces of gear and harder on others...

what exactly does absynth do? wavetable synthesis? you can get a wladorf wav,e microwave1, doepfer wavetable, AS wavetable module, wiard module, ppg wave...those are all wavetable analogs(well hybrids)...or is absynth something else?:o...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mashiro na zenshi

All digital ( and virtual analog ) 'hardware' synths are software written for special purpose hardware ( dsp processors mostly I would guess ) and thus the exact same algorithms could be used on a computer. The reason 'hardware' synths still sounds better is that you can charge a lot more for a hardware synth than a soft synth, and thus the budget for developing the software in the hardwaresynth is probably at least some times of the typical budget for a software synth.

Also, many algorithms used by 'hardware' synth manufactures are patented.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JOta

End of the day, what does it matter what one uses. If the track rocks, then yahoo for us. Me, I use software. For me, I enjoy sitting on the beach, writing music, or in an airplane, or here, there, anywhere. Sure, eventually I need to get to a good mixer and speakers to master and do the finshing touches, but I find lots of inspiration and love the fact I can open my laptop anywhere and make music. And it sounds excellent, I´ve been playing it in Mexico and frankly the 3000 people out there dancing don´t care what I´ve made my music on. It sounds great. Only the hardware diehard, hanging around back stage is bitching. The happy, dancing faces in front of me are what I´m after. Technology cometh,it´s already here. Let´s just make wicked tracks, eh!!!