My official Studio Computer...

Guest Mike D

Ok, I am getting a Pc built for me, tell me what you yhink of the specifications and tell me what price you think I should pay:

Pentium 4 1.6Ghz

512 Megabytes of DDR Ram (1 module)

Gigabyte 8IRX M/B

Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Internal Soundcard (I'd have to import a Delta from USA, so this seems just as good for now)

64 Megabyte Geforce 4 Mx440 3D Graphics card

100 Gigabyte Hardrive 8 Meg Buffer

Floppy Disk Drive

52 speed Cd Drive (Won't use a DVD)

40/24/10 CD RW

17" screen, not LCD.

and I'll use my old keyboard/mouse etc.

Guest lifeform

Looks like you got a mighty strong PC there. If your willing to put 100 more bucks into jack your ram to 1024. It will be godlike. : )

Guest pratik

i just bulited mine

amd athelon 1700+

nvedia 3d card 64 mb

scasi hd 13 gb

4/2/24 cd rw

21" screen

and dont know what sound card to get, i 'll mainly use this pc to dj.

My 2 cents:

* skip the P4 and go Athlon

* 512 meg is fine, 1024 is better

* unless you play games, skip the fancy shmancy 3d card - too many driver crap issues.

* skip the soundblaster, get an Echo Mia or something

Guest Rishi

AMD Athlon XP 1600 (with good CPU cooler like Thermalright Or Alpha)

Asus Motherboard (with RAID 0 Option, LAN & Modem Built-In)

512MB DDR PC2100 (Corsair or Crucial)

ATI Radeon 7500 Video w/64MB

19" Monitor Full Flat (Samsung, LG, etc)

Fast 7500 rpm Hard Disk Drive (Western Digital WD100BB-SE)

Asus 52X CDROM Drive

24x/10x/40x CD-RW (with buffer underrun prevention technology like Burn-Proof Or Justlink)

Don't get the Soundblaster!!!

Guest Johan

If budget is limited, I'd go for Soundtrack Audio DSP24 Value ($200 in sweden)

And then use som old card for midi in/out. If you want digital and midi in/ut then buy the extra bracket for $80. This is a HI-end card, believe it or not

Guest hoffy

just a question... why does everyone bag the soundblaster!??! I haven't used one but the specs look decent and lots of computer music magazines I have read claim its very nice....

PS: My 2 cents.... don't forget to save money for things like MIDI controllers (for virtual synths and whatever),

Guest Taika-Kim

I don't know about the Audigy, but at least the Live! Value I previously had was noisy as hell, I'm talking about -40-50db noise all the time from the Line input AND the internal digital mixer too! (the signal path goes analog somewhere even if you sample the internal sounds.)

I have also heard that at least the early Audigy Drivers had rather weak Soundfont support. SB would be great as a sampler, if not for the noise and the fact that the SB implementation of Soundfonts doesn't support sample offset which is a very important option IMHO.

I also am not sure about the latency of the Audigy cards...

If you are anyway going to put so much money into the machine,spend a fre more £$£ and buy a Midiman, Hoontech or similar zero-noise multichannel card. I have the Hoontech DSP 2000, that's 8 times analog in/out and 2 digital in/out, XLR in/out, etc and all that for about 400eur. Latency is down to 1-2ms depending on the computer.

I think that a good soundcard with solid drivers is very important, nothing is more frustrating than doing combat with the driver horde...

Hoontech drivers are OK from what other people say, but on my setup the MIDI in doesn't work, propably beacuse the SB Live! that is also installed on the same computer. I also have a AMD K6-2 with VIA chipset which is also a no-no for a studio computer... I think you should be wary of busmastering devices like some graphic cards. Check the soundcard manufacturer's sites for information about know conflicts with different hardware. Creative doesn't admit anythign, most decent manufacturers do...