Specific Soundcard Questions

Guest akindo

Hi all. Yet another soundcard post. My questions:

1. How many analog inputs do I need? I am planning to buy a Nord Micro Modular at first, and only use this and Reaktor (plus other soft synths). I have heard people say they use purely audio inputs, and not MIDI. Why is this? And does the Nord Micro Modular use two inputs (i. e. stereo, one input for the red cable and one for the white cable) or just one?

2. What kind of digital output do I need to record to a Sony TCD-D100 portable DAT recorder? S/PDIF or ADAT? I am very confused about this, and it is driving me insane, I can't find any info on it.

What soundcard would you recommend for a price below 450 Euro/400$? I have been looking at the "RME DIGI96/8 PST" and the "Midiman Delta 44." Will spending more money to buy the Echo Gina give me any benefits over these two soundcards?

I know people keep asking about soundcards, but until my two questions above have been answered, I can't make a purchase, so I hope someone can help me! ;)

Keep on boomin'!

akindo

Guest akindo

Ah, I forgot one thing: will using a break out box for the analog input give me better sound quality than using analog inputs located on the soundcard directly? I once heard that the computer generates noise which may decrease the sound quality a little if the inputs are on the soundcard.

akindo

Guest psychopat

1- If you plan to buy other hardware synth and want to mix

all your external gears in the PC you will need more

than 2 inputs. But I recommend you to buy an external mixer when

this time will come. So 2 inputs would be enough to record

your MicroModular or any other stereo source (the mixer output later ;) for example ).

Concerning MIDI, you will need an interface 1IN/1OUT at least to

"control"/"record knob tweaking of" your MicroModular. Such an interface is sometimes embedded in the soundcard but it is not always the case. Check

the soundcard spec. If it does not include a MIDI interface then

you will have to buy one (MIDIMAN MIDISPORT-USB 1X1 for example)

You said you want to use reaktor + other softsynth. If you plan

to use multiple audio software at the same time, you will need

as much audio interface as software running. For that purpose I would recommend the Echo MIA which has 4 virtual audio OUT interface. Each one can be configured to work with DirectX or ASIO independantly. And this card is under 450Euros I think

(it has coaxial digital in/ou, but no MIDI).

2- You won't need an ADAT interface. ADAT is 8in-8out digital audio channels. Your Sony DAT recorder is stereo, so SPDIF

would be enough. The main feature to check is the format of your DAT's SPDIF input: coaxial or optical? Some sound cards feature

a coaxial in/out or an optical in/out or both.

3- Theorically this is right (more noise when embedded), but

if you buy midrange quality music-dedicated card, the sound

will be good enough to make serious stuff. IMHO do not care

if there is a breakout box or not. Check the other features first.

Survey:

2 analog inputs

2 analog outputs

1 digital in/out SPDIF coaxial or optical

1 in/out MIDI interface

and if you really want to use more than 1 audio software at a time, definately go to the MIA.

hope this helps

Guest Slidingtrancer

Well the noise depends on both the input and output. Bad soundcards generate lots of noise and some synths also do ( for instance the SID-chip)

I have no idea how much analog inputs you NEED. I would say: learn to use MIDI and you'll be one step ahead. Try and learn both ways of making music, I should've a long time ago. It saves a lot of time if you know your way around MIDI.

I would say ADAT, but I aint an expert on that field!

The micro modular ( my sweet red thang)...

PC IN /OUT: uses midi cable that jacks into my joystickthingie on the back ( this is used only for the Nord Micromodular program on your PC)

MIDI IN/OUT: idem

AUDIO IN(L+R)/OUT(L+R): jacks, this can be used to equalise stuff and various things... you can use the micro as effect machine this way.

Guest parhelion

hey akindo,

you should check out the terratec EWS88MT card! I've been reading a lot of reviews and comparing prices for a while and I'm going to purchase this...it looks pretty impressive for the price/quality factor...

Some quick specs:

8-channel (RCA) analog I/O with 24-bit, 96 kHz selectable between +4dBu and –10dBV

Analog converters in a shielded 5.25" breakout box for internal or external use

Stereo (RCA Coaxial), S/PDIF I/O with 24-bit 96kHz operation; separate stereo monitor output (16-bit, 48kHz)

2 internal connectors for CD-Audio input (16-bit 48 kHz)

Driver support for Windows™ 95/98, Windows™ NT4 and ASIO

Separate drivers for inputs and outputs

All settings can be saved and loaded from the bundled Control Panel application

2 meter long cable for connecting the breakout box

Guest lifeform

I own a delta 44 with the Omni I/O upgrade breakout box. This thing gets the job done definitly. Good driver support from midiman as well. I've gotten my latency down to 1 millisecond. Very smooth. All you really need is 2 inputs if you buy a external mixer. I suggest getting something that has atleast 4 outputs though... 4 in 4 out would do you great, i'd say. And breakout boxes do help with noise... I actually suggest one that has one. You'll get alittle computer noise in your recordings that could get annoying. And you dont have to reach in the back of your computer each time you wanna switch something up. Goodluck.

Guest akindo

OK guys, thanks a lot! I think I will get a break-out box, less noise, easier cable connection: good reasons. I think I will look for 4 in/4 out.

psychopat: "You said you want to use reaktor + other softsynth. If you plan

to use multiple audio software at the same time, you will need

as much audio interface as software running. For that purpose I would recommend the Echo MIA which has 4 virtual audio OUT interface."

Well, I don't understand this. If I want to run Logic Audio 5 and Reaktor together, probably connected with VST or whatever it is they use to connect, won't all these good sound cards suffice? Can you clarify this virtual OUT interface? Thanks!

akindo

Guest psychopat

Akindo,

Each audio software has to open an audio driver to

send audio data to. If you want to use Logic + Reaktor

(standalone version) at the same time you will need

at least 2 stereo audio interface.

This driver ability to let multiple application open a different

interface from only one soundcard is called "multi-client

driver".

I don't think Logic/Reaktor use another way to connect to each other (I may be wrong. Logic users here?)

just like Rewire is used under Cubase/VST to import Reason

or Rebirth audio without the need of a multi-clients driver.

I quickly have a look at the Delta44 spec. and it seems that

its driver are multi-client. But I think that each interface

will use a pair of outputs driver1 = ou1/2 driver2 = out3/4

So you will need an external mixer to mix both software outputs

(not a problem, just a requirement)

The MIA can have up to 4 apps using a different driver. Since

the MIA has only 2 audio outputs, the 4*2 virtual outputs are

internally mixed by a DSP.

I noticed too, that the Delta has no digital I/O.

I don't want to make you buy the MIA, I'm not linked with Echo

in any way. Take a look at the spec of the soundcards you are

interrested in and check if they respond to your needs.

I took the MIA as an example because you were talking about using mutiple audio applications at the same time. There must

be some other multi-client enabled soundcards out there.

Guest parhelion

hey psychopat...you can open reaktor as a VST instrument thru logic without additional drivers, but it will probably operate like @!#$ if you don't have a good soundcard...that's my predicament now :(

Guest psychopat

Hi parhelion,

I don't know Reaktor very much (neither Logic), but I think

the current Reaktor-VST version has only some

preset synths.

I heard about a new version that will let you import

your own made synth but I don't know if it is available yet.

What I wanted to tell to Akindo is to be aware that

using multiple audio apps (not plugins) at the same time often means multi-client driver.

More and more common nowadays, but you will need an

external mixer if they are on distinct physical audio outputs.

Guest akindo

OK guys, good work, thanks once again! But I am sure I will post many more questions about how to use all this software/hardware... HE!

akindo

Guest Taikakimi

In that price range, I think that the Hoontech C-port 2000 is one of the most versatile cards available.

10 in/out (8x analog, 2x digital), XLR in/out, S/PDIF in/out, AES/EBU, RCA in ummh maybe I forgor something? I just got the thing so I'm not so familiar with this yet. (what the heck is that AES/EBU thing?!)

Has an external breakout box, phantom power for condenser microphones, headphone monitoring with separate volume control, and of course the DSP 24 soundcard for DirectX & ordinary system sound, games etc.

4 different break out boxes can be connected together, and in Hoontech's series are all kinds of digital boxes etc, or how about 32x analog in/out? :)

Works really fine and I think costs eur409 at Thomann, should be about the same in $$$ I believe.

The best thing with many inputs is that you can use your computer as a mixer and effects unit! You just need a fast machine...

http://www.hoontech.com should have more precise specs.

Guest Taikakimi

In that price range, I think that the Hoontech C-port 2000 is one of the most versatile cards available.

10 in/out (8x analog, 2x digital), XLR in/out, S/PDIF in/out, AES/EBU, RCA in ummh maybe I forgor something? I just got the thing so I'm not so familiar with this yet. (what the heck is that AES/EBU thing?!)

Has an external breakout box, phantom power for condenser microphones, headphone monitoring with separate volume control, and of course the DSP 24 soundcard for DirectX & ordinary system sound, games etc.

4 different break out boxes can be connected together, and in Hoontech's series are all kinds of digital boxes etc, or how about 32x analog in/out? :)

Works really fine and I think costs eur409 at Thomann, should be about the same in $$$ I believe.

The best thing with many inputs is that you can use your computer as a mixer and effects unit! You just need a fast machine...

http://www.hoontech.com should have more precise specs.