phat deep Bassline sound??

Guest Amitabha

Hi!! i just wondered whats the secret behind a very cool dark bass?? any trick? or just Hardware?? Any VST Instruments u recommend,.. Reaktor? ..

I just CANT DO A DESCENT BASS SOUND IN REASON :(

Any help is very welcome!!

Guest Protex Midget

Believe me, you don't need fancy hardware to make a Bass.

Infact, you could make a great bass with a simple program like Rebirth...

Guest Jolly Roger

"Therez not secret cuz reason suxx...

Hey jim, letz try Reaktor + Logic..."

Hoho. Splendid. Teinix.

Sorry. Couldn't help it.

Somehow I have a feeling that I'm begging to get flamed. Maybe I should stop writing here. Maybe I should write in here when I have something important and intelligent to say. Ok... Maybe I'll say something for the topic.

Protex is right. It's really odd that some people say that you can't make anything good with software. Probably because those people have spent lots of money in hardware and after few years software can do the same as their hardware so naturally they try to fight against the fact that ten times cheaper software is equal to their hardware. Poor lads.

Guest coriolis

are you using reason to make your whole track, or just using it for the synths? record some semi-decent bassline from reason and then with a plugin chain: 1) EQ it, 2) distort it, and 3) EQ it again. try different combinations of pre/post EQ into the distortion, and different distortion settings. mess around. you'll get it.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I dunno why people wanna bash Reason all the time, sure it aint the best program software ever written, but it sets a nice standard. Most of it is up to the user anyway, of course you can make killer basslines with it. It just needs effort en dedication, but that's something that has to come with 'musicians' in general whether they use hard- or software. I guess software maybe need some more effort sometimes.

Umm a little ambiguity in my last post... the 2nd part should've been:

...bad hardware (or no hardware at all) can ruin a "good musician's" track...

if a talented musician doesn't like his own track ('cause he's sick and tired

of trying to get a fat solid bass out of sample programs), the track will never

be *amazing*..

Guest Jolly Roger

que - The man who bought tons of hardware few years back.

"if a talented musician doesn't like his own track ('cause he's sick and tired

of trying to get a fat solid bass out of sample programs), the track will never

be *amazing*.."

Did you knew that not all softsynths are sample based? I think you're mixing up softsynths and trackers. I just clarify thig by put up a comparisation list between soft and hard: (This is my opinion. You may argue if you want to.)

Software:

Pros:

-Cheaper

-Sometimes even better sound than in hardware.

-Flexibility and configurability without limits (In example Native Instruments Reaktor)

-Polyphony theoretically infinite. (CPU says the final word)

-Adding VST-effects is easy.

-Opening patches in sequencer is easy.

Cons:

-Latency. But can be eliminated by buying a good cpu and audio card.

-Adding hardware effects is tricky. But why add hardware effects when you have VST?

-Turning virtual knobs with mouse is annoying. Proper midicontroller solves this problem.

-Doesn't have a physical form. You don't feel you own something valuable. (This is important)

Hardware:

Pros:

-You feel you own something. Always a pleasure when someone enters your studio on shouts "Wow! That synth looks cool!". (This is very important musical aspect)

-Pleasure to use. No need to struggle with your mouse and ponder how to turn these two knobs in the same time.

-Adding hardware effects is easy and same for VST-effects.

Cons:

-Polyphony is restricted, but usually enough. But if you use 15 voice unison then you're in trouble.

-Patches usually needs to be loaded via SysEx in sequencer. Not a big con, but slows things down and if you have one of those million menu things you're in trouble. Never know what you send there.

-Price.

Guest coriolis

i beleive it possible to get a phat kick and bassline groove going in reason. subtractor plus one or two parametric EQs, maybe a disortion, and the redrum plus a parametric EQ? don't forget to use those eqs. reason also has a compressor, no?

Guest jakemyth

The biggest con about running a lot of software/vst's is getting lower track counts on your comp.......and i'm pretty sure hardware doesn't crash!! I would rather spend a bit extra and have more tracks to work with, that gives more flexability at the end of the day.

Enjoy

Jake

Guest The Nothing

To get back on topic, i have had some success using reason.

for a start, forget using the subtractor, at least for me, thats when my basslines started improving.

Use an NN19 sampler and download as many bass samples as you can find (try places like www.analoguesamples.com) the access virus, novation supernova, korgMS2000 and novation basstation are all good places to start.

I sometimes use 2 or 3 NN19s running 3 different bass samples to make my own distinctive bass sound.

one might have more sub bass, one might be a mid ranged growly type bass and then i might add one with a more high pitched acid sound (for those power basslines).

tweek the NN19 to get the sounds you want and run them all through the same compresser and you should have some nice phat basslines ot play with.

For some extra class output the audio to cubase or logic using rewire and use their multiband compressors / volume maximisers as they sound alot better than the ones that come with reason.

hope this helps in some way.

peace

-Dan

Guest The Nothing

While im on the subject of compressors.

Waves C4 multiband compreessor and Waves UltraMaximiser+ are absolutely awesome. running your bass through them and a plugin called MDA SubbBASS (comes with cubase 5.1 R1) instantly makes your basslines phatter, deeper and more professional sounding. Im pretty sure the new verwsion of logic also comes with its own SubBass plugin too.

i finally got a copy the other day and I just cant get over what a difference they make. I have played with the TC works packs, Steinberg mastering edition pack and built in vst and logic compressors/maximisers but these just sound so much nicer.

they are expensive but worth it :) check out www.waves.com and look for the 'waves native gold bundle' (or platinum if your loaded) you also get a shitload of other high quality FX and mastering tools.

seeya

-Dan

Guest The Nothing

While im on the subject of compressors.

Waves C4 multiband compreessor and Waves UltraMaximiser+ are absolutely awesome. running your bass through them and a plugin called MDA SubbBASS (comes with cubase 5.1 R1) instantly makes your basslines phatter, deeper and more professional sounding. Im pretty sure the new verwsion of logic also comes with its own SubBass plugin too.

i finally got a copy the other day and I just cant get over what a difference they make. I have played with the TC works packs, Steinberg mastering edition pack and built in vst and logic compressors/maximisers but these just sound so much nicer.

they are expensive but worth it :) check out www.waves.com and look for the 'waves native gold bundle' (or platinum if your loaded) you also get a shitload of other high quality FX and mastering tools.

seeya

-Dan

Guest Masada

There are several good ways to creat a deep and funky bass:

1. Use some bassenhancers like PSP-Bass, Waves Bassmaximizer (?)

2. Use EQ and compression

3. Use samplecds and find some really fat, analog basses

Just some ideas...

Peace

Guest Masada

There are several good ways to creat a deep and funky bass:

1. Use some bassenhancers like PSP-Bass, Waves Bassmaximizer (?)

2. Use EQ and compression

3. Use samplecds and find some really fat, analog basses

Just some ideas...

Peace