AKAI S3200

Guest Andreas of Amygdala

Hi guys :)

Just picked up an AKAI S3200 sampler - seems cool, but I have one big problem:

How do I play different programs at the same time, without predefining their MIDI-channel when I save a program?

That is, can I assign a program to a channel with program-change messages from MIDI? It doesn't seem that way, since a program-change on any channel will cause the program to change for all channels, or none at all...

What I need is some way to create a multi/performance/whatever, like on every newer synth - but how?!?

I seem to recall that one of my friends' S3000XL had a multi mode button - is this true? If it is, and my S3200 doesn't have one - well, that sucks!!

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Psy (Mushroom Lolipop) BO

no one seems to care about samplers in this forum :)

if you had a emu i would be able o help you (kidding)

JV

Guest Elysium Project

I do work with Akai samplers but it's just that this question need such a damn big answer which I frankly do not have the patience and energy to come up with right now.. sorry I will try and answer as soon as I get my mind into it :-)

Guest phlux0r

I don't know anything about the S3200 but try to look at the Akai Pro site, there are lots of manuals and FAQ's for various Akai samplers:

http://www.akaipro.com

I've got the CD3000i and what I do is, load the desired sample programs (from the volume on CD/HDD) into the same sampler program (say program 1). If I want to use the same MIDI channel for all programs I just make sure that the Key groups don't overlap since you'd be playing multiple samples at the same time if they do. So, say I've loaded a program called HiHats and it's covering the key range from C1-B1 and I then load a program called Snares covering the range from C2-B2 I'd be sweet to play both programs at the same time. One more thing I have to make sure is that both these programs are loaded into the same sampler program numer AND they both are active (i see an asterisk beside my program name in the main page if that program is active). I can re-assign programs in the reassign page on the CD3000.

If I have a lot of samples that overlap, I tend to assign the programs to different MIDI channels but still keep them ALL in the same sampler program (that's the numer) and make sure that ALL my sample programs (the names) are active. I see on my display how many programs are loaded and how many are active.

Hope this helps. Best thing is to read the manual carefully...

phlux0r