Cubase...?

Hey I don't understand why do you use Cubase... I make my music only with a atracker, then export to .wav or .mp3 and then pass it to CD... voilá! What is Cubase for? I have never used it... Do you have the tracker and Cubase running at the same time?

Bottom Line: do I need Cubase?

PLUR

PiNG

with a program laid out like cubase, you use NOTES and HARMONY , and usually you use more than one finger , and some knowledge of things like 'SCALES, HARMONY, What is a chord, etc... to play and record music .

very satisfying to a musically-oriented songwriter

with a tracker, you use a mouse and one finger to color in the dots, telling the program when and where to trigger the notes. this usually involves a lack of musical knowledge (i.e. a-minor flat 5 is not a bra size), but can yield some exciting results!

bottom line: whatever floats your musical boat

but i couldn't see spending more than a year with a coloring book before i started wondering "where all those outlines came from."

you can also use cubase as audio sequencer..

you can do an audio part in other programs and export it to wav..

and work on it in cubase, put some effects and filters on it and edit it how you want..

if you do that you can work with alot of programs and not only one.

and you can play with a midi keyboard aswell.

Cubase = Power.

Cubase + other programs = More Power :)

phin,

trackers use notes and harmony...you just input it differently. i really dont understand your colloring book reference at all.

i dont know how to read music, or play a keyboard. i dont really see what that has to do with my ability to create music in the long run. what diference does it make if i know what chord im playing, if i have to sit there and mash the keyboard for 2 hours before i find a chord that sounds right...what difference does it make...i still found it. and now i know if i put my fingers here here here and here...it sounds good.

i really think that its great todays tech. allows for people to create music who otherwise might never be able to. now im not accusing you of this, but i have seen a lot of musician elitism (not too much on this forum) and it realy bothers me sometimes. what does it matter what tools we use as long as we are creating something.

it would be the same as saying a graphic artist isnt really an artist because they dont know anything about color mixing or brush strokes or cross hatch shading.

the computer is just a tool. just like any other tool. just like a piano is a tool. and as long as someone has a creative mind...they can surely use that tool to make beautiful things.

its not what you use or even how you use it....the final creation is whats important. and its just as possible to make a creative beautifull song with a tracker as with anything else.

I think the elitism comes from: you love music, but don't fully envelope yourself in all aspects of it?

It takes 5 seconds to learn to read music or the notes on a keyboard. A semester at a junior college will get you some decent music theory too...of course it's not necessary and actually I think somethings (esp. music theory) can be bad...in the wrong hands anyway...