How Do you Write Your Trax??

Getting my studio back soon so were gonna start writing - (lost everything of a computer burn up) so wondering . . . . . .

Do you lay out all your drums or bass or whatever first for the whole trak? Then layer upon it other elements.

Or do you do like me and complete the track entirerly 1 minute at a time and then lose a lot of your sonngs half way thru cause youre burnt out from it. Maybe i need to change the way i do it.

Guest etherdesign

I know I'm an unknown artist here.. but generally.. I lay down everything to begin with.. start at the peak of the song with a great groove.. and then I work on building up to that peak, dropping, building up again.. start from the middle and expand both ways..

I usually begins with making a nice bassline and a some drums through the song... then I add some breaks there and there!

When thats finished I start to build more layers on it and stuff! ;)

But in the end I have changed the whole thing anyway.. its a mess putting together a song. New ideas are coming all the time. ;) hehe

I guess there is alot of ways to make a song..

BAnG!

hmm, usually i have an idea.

then i make a nice bassline.

then i think of what kinda kick i want.

then i fit in the percussion i like,

make some sounds.

try to get an idea for a small theme in the sounds or the drums.

then i usually start out with the idea i had for a start, then i try to find a nice way to put in the kick drum.

make the bassline run so everything runs smoothly.

then the sounds i put it, i just put everything in , in the order i want.

so the most common way is to do the bassline first. and so do i. I start from the start and then take one minute a time. But if (when) i get stuck somewhere i take that part later.

Guest Elysium Project

I have a history in my head (visiually) and always have the title of the track ready before I start to compose the music. After that it is very random how I compose the track, It can begin with a rythm, a bass line, a melody line, a sample and so on... There's no rules !

When I am recording a whole album I always have a concept in mind (+ all track titles ready). My previous album was about ethnic minorities on this planet and my first album was about war and it's victim's... at that time the war in Bosnia Hercegovina was going on.

My latest album is about nature and humanity versus technology.

I generally like to have a story in my head (like a movie). This way my music become much more emotional and personal to me.

yea,, well. a thing people has always told me about my tracks was that ... it was like i was telling a story,, ,, this is actually the best compliment i ever had about the music.

as this is the whole point for me,, it's not just bom bom bom , and some sounds, there is so much more spirit and story, and others things to it.

in general i get the track title when i have been making the first minute or something of the track.

my entire album will be called "Twisted Fairytales" and i have a ton of ideas and stories to tell (if i could get my gear to work that is GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR)

well, when i start making a track, just like elysium i have a groove and some sounds, maybe a sample.

an idea. then i just work from there.

basically , i don't have an idea for a whole track when i start.. this can mean that the track starts out great , with the idea that i had... then near the end, i might lack a continous idea,, so it might be a bit monotone.

but well,,

THAT IS MY FLAW :-)

/C

Good stories. I make the track under an already-thought-title too and try to describe a tale or something seemed, but mind that fact is quite hard to manage.

Guest Slidingtrancer

Usually I start off making a track in which I put all the ideas I have and dont worry about production quality ... then I leave the file there and try and take some stuff out of there and put it in my final song... I try and tell a story and sometimes the ideas just don't fit in..

I just invented this working method because my songs had 8/9 minutes of GOOD material crammed into 4 minutes. I just want to do TOO much, thats why I always have CPU overload.... now I have the inner peace and inspiration to build it up nicely, make some nice breakz and get in ur face afterwards :D

haha, I almost allways do like oa, I have so many unfinnished tracks it's getting silly.. guess I will have to come up with some new way of working :)

Guest psybrat

i first put the bassdrum and the bass .. then work out the other parts of the song ..

but as far as story telling goes .. every track i think is a trip in it's own ..

as far as you are getting god sounds and good production . how you do it does not matter .. hehe ..

anyone wanting to do a co-op track with me??

love and light,

psybrat

sometimes i think myself in the track. what´s happening. maybe a space shuttle launch and then i think what will happen next. then i do the music as it fitts the story.

Guest Gaittins

Usually I have the peak of the song in my mind's eye when I start to actually do sound design and eventually the tracking. So, I'd have to say that I start at the peak and build outward to the intro and coda like, Etherdesign. If you're writing melodic-psy it may be best to track the bass, melody and harmony in that order. I've found that working on the harmony last allows you to be more textural because the notes are already spelled out for you. Then you can just work on developing counter melodies with real time attenuation of the waveform (depending on your gear and methodology).

It's pretty tough at first to imagine the sound and then create it. But, it's a lot more like what you were humming in you head several weeks earlier then sitting at the gear and composing. Sometimes that can just turn into either, a jam session if your using live gear or a button pushing nightmare endlessly tweeking knobs and surfing sub-menus. I'm not a published composer so don't take any tips from me but, that's the way I get down.

Guest Gaittins

Usually I have the peak of the song in my mind's eye when I start to actually do sound design and eventually the tracking. So, I'd have to say that I start at the peak and build outward to the intro and coda like, Etherdesign. If you're writing melodic-psy it may be best to track the bass, melody and harmony in that order. I've found that working on the harmony last allows you to be more textural because the notes are already spelled out for you. Then you can just work on developing counter melodies with real time attenuation of the waveform (depending on your gear and methodology).

It's pretty tough at first to imagine the sound and then create it. But, it's a lot more like what you were humming in you head several weeks earlier then sitting at the gear and composing. Sometimes that can just turn into either, a jam session if your using live gear or a button pushing nightmare endlessly tweeking knobs and surfing sub-menus. I'm not a published composer so don't take any tips from me but, that's the way I get down.

whenever ive had a PREconception of what kind of song Im gonna make before I actually play something, I wind up frustrated trying to force something...

just begin, the music will do what IT wants, with very little influence from what you want

one thing i learned (FINALLY!)

is to PLAY the music FIRST and MIX LAST!

if you spend 2 hours getting your kick drum to sound like Simon's or IM's --what do you hear? a kick that wont sound right when mixed

Lay down all of your music first, or as a painter would tell you: 'paint after you sketch'

2 -designing an ambient intro and then letting it play on you what kind of music is going to emerge from it