check this out and then tell me

Guest Lifeform

posford compresses EVERYTHING, and then compresses the final mix too. he just does it to perfection... like everything else he does....................................

Guest etherdesign

Yeah.. look at his page, he says himself that he compresses everything.. not directly, but the gear that he uses to run tracks through is evident of compression.. anyone who says you shouldn't use compression is out of their minds, it's been a mastering technique for as long as mastering has been around..

Guest vasyachkin

etherdesign "it's been a mastering technique for as long as mastering has been around" -- this doesn't prove anything. no wait, it does prove one thing THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT ITS FOR or else you could come up with better reason.

besides i am not advocating "no compression" but only "less compression"

if you really think its so important than at least give a few reasons why you think so, i think that would be fair :)

compression allows a higher overall signal level to be recorded and played back, but there is such a thing as volume control you know? why not just use that

Guest etherdesign

Fine, you need reasons..

As you said, compression lowers peaks.. if you have a rather dyamic tracks.. be it vocal, synth, drums, whatever and you have certain places that you would like it to be quieter wiutout lowering the volume in the track, you need a compressor.. if you lower the volume in the track to match the peak, the sound at lower volumes in that track may not be able to find a place in the mix and are totally lost.. I don't give a sh*t about radio.. in a perfect world, recordings go perfectly well without the odd peaks, but that doesn't happen too much..

I am not in favor of balls-to-the-wall compression/limiting that is used in todays music, especially that nu-metal crap..

Compression can also be used to MAKE peaks.. which is especially useful to make a nice bassdrum, bassline, or things that you intentionally want to cut through the mix...

On a side note, chill out.. and maybe learn how to use a compressor before you go ranting about it and posting a link to an audio forum with other people's opinions.. where is yours?

Guest vasyachkin

where is my opinion?

my opinion is that people who have nice systems are betrayed in favor of those who have some ghetto-blasters picked up from garbage and all because second group is majority and first is minority.

CD has 96db range and when i recently bought a behringer headphone amp (for $79, anybody should be able to afford) i found out that this is ALOT. the recording level could literally be made 100 times lower and i could just turn the volume and it would be fine, i would still have 76db range which is still alot.

now, many devices don't have that much range so for the benefit of their users compression is used. but those guys don't care about sound in the first place why worry about them?

i would like to be, every once in a while, scared by the power and loudness of a certain transient but it never happens, because all music is compressed flat.

this is very frustrating, its sh*t like this which makes audiophiles listen to classical music instead of normal music, because classical is not compressed that much

Guest etherdesign

On a note to that, most psy trance, or underground(ish) electronic music in general isn't made to be played on the radio or the television, so it's pretty much a moot point about how much compression they use, basically whatever sounds good in their monitors I assume.. unless you're talking about other styles of music..

Guest etherdesign

No, but the over-compression syndrome is a thing of pop music.. made for radio and video.. not for big sound systems and studio monitors which most psy music is made for.. it is an intersting thread to me.. i agree that most pop/rock made specifically for radio play sounds like crap on my speakers.. (4 references.. AWIA Standard stereo speakers, Yamaha NS10's, Event 20/20bas's/factory speakers in a 1986 Chrysler LeBaron.. and I admit, most of them sound better in the the Awai and my shitty car.. but how many people have flat-frequency reference-class stereos at home or in their car? Very few compared to those that do, and alot of the people that have very good sound systems in their home use it for movies and those in their cars use it for deep sub basses in rap music... Ther audophile is lost in the shuffle, and that is where underground music comes in.. if you think about it, classical is pretty underground... very few listen to it and even fewer respect it, just like good electronic music..