production basics...

Guest yoschie

hey all...

I've been wanting to start making my own music for quite a while, but have not had the money or time to really get set up. I am now in a much better position for both, but am not sure exactly what I should get to start. I currently only have a basic dj set-up: 2 turntables and a mixer.

I would like your opinions on what gear is the best gear to start out with.. preferrably best for the money type stuff... I don't have an unlimited budget just yet, unfortunately.

So.. let me know what you think are the best buys for synths, samplers, software, etc...

Thanks..

yos

Guest DJ Jeto

Hey...

First of all it all depends on what you are most comfortable with..

If your begginer.. start from scratch... experiment with diffrent interfaces...

Try Software for one... Nowdays its whats booming and with such power tools most music can be done on computers if you know what your doing...

I suggest you try a Sequencer.. Programmer such as

Fruity Loops

Propellorheads - Reason 1.1

Cubase VST 5.0

Logic Audio

Fruity Loops seems very ametur, the sounds are compressed hence not giving you maximum possible sound. Dont get me wrong... "If you know what your doing, you can get pro sounds and people have released tracks with it" It just needs a bunch of eqing and plugins...It just takes a little getting used to, very user friendly though. It also helps a lot to use "VST Synths"

Vst Synths = Virtual Soft Synth

To name a few :

Halion

Reaktor

Tau

Mercury 1

Rainbow

Pro 52

--------------------------------------------------------

Available at your local Music Dealer *pst* (or cracked version somewhere floating around)

Propellorheads Reason uses more pro sounds in quality, there is much more felxability in frequency and a vitual patchbay/router...The beauty of it is it can be loaded inside cubase through "ReWire". Also it has Dr Rex... This is a killer loop player... If you get "ReCycle" or "ReBirth" which are made by Propellorheads you can do much more... For example in Recycle.. you can take any sample and chop it up and export as a Dr Rex loop file... In Rebirth you can make loops and open them in reason and then export them all to cubase and add digital audio and add plugins and effects and master it...

This may all seem very complicated... but I seriously suggest trying it and keep at it since the more you know your computer/software the more you can do and make use and get sounds out of it...

Cubase VST basically you can record through Midi.. using the VST Synths mentioned above... or record Digital Audio.. Its a sequencer like any other...

There are also Sampler plugins available..

Logic Audio I have worked with a bit.. Im not too familiar and knowledgeable so I'll leave the next person to maybe write up about it...

Hope this helps you and best of luck...

Boom!

Guest Dj Jeto

Oh/..

I got carried away...

I never mentioned some of the synths

Well then again it depends on your price range.

If you wanna buy new one or used one..

Used ones are quite nice... most of the time you buy a synth and check it out use it for some tracks and then sell it anyways for something bigger and better suiting the needs of yours.. so dont be afraid of buying used...

For a price range of about approx $1000 Good synths

Virus B

Nord Lead 2 or 3

Waldorf XT

Korg Ms 2000

Korg Triton (Rack)

Supernova

Novation

=-------------------------------------=

It also depends on what kinda music your doing...

For more melodious you should consider Nord or Korg

but for more killer dark sounds maybe Virus or Waldorf etc...

Aiight...

Hey Cujo...

Can you e-mail me some more detials?

jetoski@hotmail.com

Im sorry about my long post.. didnt mean to offend anyone.. just trying to be helpful :)

Boom