DJ Resources?

Guest Phaedrus

Does anyone know of any good resources (either in print or online) for aspiring DJs to read up on tips on beatmatching and the like?

Cheers,

Bill

Guest [tom jaimz]

There are heaps, just do a search.

But I'm telling you right now, the best thing you can possibly have to teach you to DJ is decks. That's it. The basics of DJing is pretty simple - choose two tracks, have the kick drum of the two tracks hit simultaneously. What tracks you chose, how you mix them, it's all up to you. Personally I go for the mathematical approach - calculate BPMs, calculate differences, calculate correct pitch adjustment, apply pitch adjustment, cue on first beat, trigger at the start of a bar. Simple stuff. But this is all stuff you'll learn not from reading resources, but from playing.

Trust me on this - when I first started I wanted resources too, 'cause I just didn't get it. Then, after trial and error - I discovered all I need to do is mix, mix, mix, mix, and then, after maybe a spliff, mix.