Psytrance in 2-3 years time....

Guest Protex Midget

Psytrance is quite young (10-11 years old), but it developes pretty quickly...

It started out as goa trance, then psy and full-on, now psy-tech and minimal.

What is psytrance gonna sound like in 2-3 years???

I personally have no idea...

Guest --==MileS==--

To keep its own character I hope Psy gets less techno and house orientated and progresses more like psyambient is doing at the moment: more freedom and weirdness...It is all getting a bit too linear currently and the majority of acts sound too much alike (3DVision Syndrome: fast, hard and pounding but less else)...

it's gonna end with the perfect psychedelic sound-scape's ...

no more messures or beat's no more rules...

.....just psychedelic sound's to enjoy .....

Guest --==MileS==--

Jazzy/Funky style???

Apart from stuff on the Kamaflage compils or on the Flying Rhino Freestyle label I cannot think of any acts that release in this particular style?

Is there an Amon Tobin on LSD somewhere that I don't know of?

Guest Setsuko

I realy like the way psytrance is evolving .... i hate when people say they strictly love goa and abominate all the progression of it... the style is unique and it will always be... it's not about being openminded but i like almost every psytrance style - as long the music is made with the heart - ... and how will it sound within 5 years , i dunno , maybe i'll be listening to something totally different ... something new i discovered during the years ... as long it's your own taste imo.

the scene will get lots of influences by other styles (electro - funk - disco - d'n'b - classical music ☻ ) and please stop complaining about the progressive psychedelic tech sounds released nowadays , that's THE reason why the scene is losing the spirit... because all the so called 'real goaheads' keep on complaining - this is negative energy...

enjoy☻

true, progression is absolutely vital to keep any form of music alive and kicking...

I guess the future is I see for psy at the moment is a more electro-oriented sound with better and clearer production and rhythms (think der dritte raum, deedrah, new infected style, cosma, saikopod)

altough I do hope it will retain a freaky experimental edge!

Guest Mindbender

While a lot of producers make stuff that is strictly psy and often sounding indistinguishable from the grey mass, I think that there has also been an increase in variety, which is good.

I can't really see where this music will evolve in the future, but I hope and expect it to become more diverse. People keep on experimenting on new stuff. So I hope it's not going to be more of the same (I love it, but I have already 400 records of it), but rather that producers and labels aren't afraid of searching new directions. Nowadays I tend to buy only stuff that is really different from the mass, or then really *exeptionally* good in the old style(s).

Lauri

Guest The Lotus Eater

I hope that people start using more analogue syths again. Digital and virtual synths still sound thin and cold... + they all sound same-ish. Analogue synths have their own character and they sounds much richer and Phatter.

Guest The Lotus Eater

Oh I forgot.. also hope to hear more real instruments in psytrance. Somehow the current sound is too synthetic... why not bring more dimension to music?

Well, I guess Psy trance is by definition bound to evolve. Innovative sounds are one of the basement of this kind of music for me. So, if as the Lotus Eater said, "all sound same-ish", it loses a great part of its meaning.

I like the current "maximal" trend, as one dude puts it in another thread. Less melodies, more twisted sounds and very very strange effects. I think The Delta - Thing (to take a classic one), even if a bit dark, epitomizes quite well this trend.

As for real instruments, hmm, if you can produce unheard combinations of sounds with it, ok, but I guess synths offer much more possibilities to discover new sonic areas.

J.

Guest --==Miles==--

Or is finally Total Eclipse getting some recognition for "Access Denied"...the closest thing to Jazz I heard in Psy thus far...

Yeah Finnish stuff is on the same chaotic edge as some experimental Jazz. Still have to check out the Tromesa album....

i think the box of frox album on free form rec is quite jazzy. and, as you pointed out, camaflage 2 ofcourse.

that tromesa album sounds interesting

Guest bugbread

I know the Tromesa track in question: Muchomory. It's definitely jazzy. Not experimental like John Zorn / free noise jazz, but not coffee shop light jazz either.

Be warned that a lot of their other stuff is very minimal (though good), so if you listen to the wrong tracks you'll be thinking "Jazzy?? Where the hell is the jazz?!"

As for the Finnish stuff: funky, yes, jazzy...hmmm....I dunno.

Guest spacemonkey - 604

For me one of the best things about psy is it's diversity, you have melodic, chill-out, dark pounding stuff, uplifting and all these experiments in between and even further combined into one mindbending psychedelic genre.

The future of psy is too keep being open to everything, keep experimenting and not to close your mind/ear to new developements too fast.

I think if the people (listeners, producers, dj, organizers) keep true to their love for the music, it will survive as the mindtranforming stuff it is to date. Since this scene is build on love for true, pure and complex music i think if everybody keeps their mind open it will keep evolving and keeping it's nature at the same time.

(look at jazz for example, it is still there in small scene with people still loving their style and not going for the money, most of the time)