building computer ?

Guest lynxboy

I'm getting ready to have a friend help me build a computer. I'm going to be useing it to make music. I have a few keyboards, ect. I'm planning on useing Cubase. My question is: What processor is better to use the pentium 4 or AMD Athlon? Or does it matter? I'm wanting to use the Athlon because it is cheaper. Would it work just as good? Also I know you need a sound card like Layla, Gina, or Darla,ect. Does that mean I don't have to worry about the sound card in my computer? Does that question make sense? I'm wanting to know if one of the sound cards I mentioned above would take the place of a sound card he would put in my computer? I also need to tell him what I want to run like windows 98, 200, or XP? Basically I need to tell him exactly what I want him to build for me. Any thoughts comments or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Guest CrusadeR

Buy Intel..

u don't need P4.. PIII on 1.1 or lower is very enough..

be sure to buy enough memory - 512 MB.

Hard drive must be fast and big..

soundcard:

Echo Gina is great choice.

+ Monitors... - someone else may give u hand.. but Genelec are great choice says elysium..

+ mix deck..

and u're on the road :)

Guest CrusadeR

and yes..

don't use XP..

use win2k.

it's more stabile than everything MS has ever released..

+ some software won't work under XP..

so win2k.

Copy Paste /

I wont get into an argument about processors here but if you want bang for your buck i would suggest an AMD branded Athalon 1GHz at a minimum or a 1800+ (in the newer naming scheme ) at the top of the range with at least 256 Meg of Ram. If you don't have a lot of money to spend go for a motherboard that support SDRAM rather than DDRAM as it wont make a huge difference for what you want and it also means you can get more ram for your $$$ which is pretty important if you going for a full software studio. More ram means more plugins or apps running at the same time so 512Meg would be best really even though i'd doubt you'd use it all. I personally wouldn't recommend a Pentium IV at the moment due to the cost but it might be a better choice in the long term because software companies are apparently starting to design their new versions of cubase etc work better for Pentium 4's. I get the feeling its all bullshit by intel to sell more of their chips in a very competitive market and generally if Intel implement such things AMD are quick to follow. If you do look at a Pentium IV system again you want over 1Ghz and 1.8 would be good and the new 2Ghz would be better again. Also if they try and tell you its got RDRAM so it should faster they don't know what their talking about. RDRam is expensive and provides next to no performance improvement. You want SDRAM to go with your Pentium 4 not RDRAM.

The other thing for cutting costs would be an inbuilt grahics chip on the motherboard which would leave you with more money to spend on your audio card which is important. However if you thinking about doing some sort of grahic work on the machine or using mutliple video outputs don't even think about onboard grahics as it can limit you for these applications.

Windows 2000 would be my operating system of choice as its a hell of a lot more reliable than 98 but perhaps not quite as reliable as NT4 (or maybe thats just me). Just be aware that some of the older DOS programs like some of the older Trackers will not work with Windows 2000. Most other audio apps will work quite well under 2000. .

Guest Phaedrus

Gamers will complain about 2K Pro because it is not designed for the gamer, it is designed for more of a business user (and thus delivers better stability - much better than 98).

I can't speak for how 2K does/does not play nicely with audio sw.