VSTi newbie question.

This might be a stupid question! :o)) but anyway..

I yesterday tried Pro-52 and Waldorf Attack VSTi in Fruityloops (yesyes it's beginners program, but so am i:)) And the problem is, I can play with them, but how do i get the sounds Saved to fruity or something.. Does VSTi require Midi or something?? does the sounds need to be sampled to hd via Midi or something.. or can i use it even though i dont own ANY midi?? Can i link them to fruitys sequenser?

Help me:)!!

Guest Elysium Project

You need a program such as Cubase or Logic to use those VST plugins...They are not made for fruity.......and they are surposed to play realtime not to be recorded as a sample...

I haven't tried using Attack, but I have used the Waldorf PPG wave synth in fruity loops and it works fine for me. If attack works the same as the VSTi's I have used in fruity, all the settings will get saved with your song when you save normally. You can save and load presets by clicking the arrow in the top left corner of the instrument's interface (just to the left of the folder icon and the name of the instrument). Unless you really want to, you shouldn't need to sample your sounds onto disk, you can just play them in real time from the instrument, just like the normal fruity loops instruments. However, exporting your samples is a good way to save cpu power, as it takes alot less memory to load one sample than to continually synthesize the sound - this works ok for drum sounds since most of the tweaking you'll want to do can be done externally (ie with effects plugins) but for other sounds it's probably best to leave them as the vst instrument so you can change the parameters in real time. To export a drum sound as a wave file, save it as a cubase preset (from the instrument interface), then open a new song with just one pattern, put a single hit of that drum on a track then export as a wav file. This is a bit tedious but i think it's the only way to do it using just your pc (ie no midi sampler). Also keep in mind that you can record knob movements on your VSTi's just the same as other parameters. So yes you can use these instruments with no other midi gear and no cubase/logic etc. Sure it's going to be limited compared to these systems but as you said fruity loops is good for a beginner. But remember that these instruments aren't made with fruity loops in mind, and there are some that don't work very well (eg steinberg's Model-E synth, which is a shame because this is a nice one). Happy fruity-looping :-)