Hey - A BIG question

Guest Molarkis Dawn masa anomim

i'm searching to learn a volume effect using FruityLoops like the thing Simon Posford doing all the time in Dorset preception (or any track made by him) i don't know the sound term ppl are using to describe it .. but remember the track above

that at some point the sample started to cut down and up (the fem voice sample or the arab sample)?

it was like this :)

aaaaaaaaaaaa a a a a aa a a a

stupid description i know , but if any1 did understood what the hell am i talking about , please reply

boom

Gate? That's what gets that choppy effect. Posford uses a Drawmer Gate i believe. I've moved on to bigger better things now, but Impulse Tracker is very easy to do various different gates by editing out parts of the sound, fully visual. I still use it for that. I'm not sure about Fruity though, i tried it once and found it useless. Very unhelpful comment, but oh well.

Guest Slidingtrancer

I think it's a 'slice'-effect, whether you call it gate or snipper is irrelevant...

It slices up parts of the song...

Another question?

does anybody know the deviation which Impulse tracker files have in BPM's?

I mean at 3,144 it's not really 144 BPM's in Nuendo or Reason for instance

it's more something like 144.250 or something...

Does anybody know the exact deviation? I wanna make my percussion in Impulse Tracker...

Guest Jikkenteki

I usually use hardware for that effect. New computer gear and stuff has come out, but in the old days peopled used (and still use) a noise gate to get that studdering effect (hence "gate", Simon P. uses one by Drahmer if I remember right). Most gates have a feature called "side chain" (or some similar term depending on the company) in which you run the sound that you want cut up through the gate, but trigger the gate itself to open and close with the side chain... you can do this with a different sound (I often use an old drum machine I don't use much anymore) or midi on some gates. Roland's new stuff usually has an effect call "slicer" which does the same sorta thing (if you watch the virtual knobs in a Sp-808 you see that they are basically turning the volume up and down really fast), but doing it the old fashioned way enables you to chop it up in any pattern you can come up with.